Looking To upgrade to a tube head

drvr6177

• Members

Looking at the peavey Valve King, Bugera 333,or 6262, or Madison Divinity 2. I have a Berhinger Vampire like the versitility of it but love the sound of a tube amp. I'm not looking to break the bank though, just wondering what would be the best bang for the buck what is acually made better and what i might be happier with. I play 80's stuff and Metal. and looking for something that i can just plug into and go wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Used Marshall JCM 2000 DSL. If you don't need cleans, maybe a JCM 900 SLX. A Peavey Ultra Plus would do the trick as well. None of those will kill your budget, and they should all have plenty of gain on tap for just about anything. I'd go for used gear over cheaper new gear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Looking at the peavey Valve King, Bugera 333,or 6262, or Madison Divinity 2. I have a Berhinger Vampire like the versitility of it but love the sound of a tube amp. I'm not looking to break the bank though, just wondering what would be the best bang for the buck what is acually made better and what i might be happier with. I play 80's stuff and Metal. and looking for something that i can just plug into and go wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine what those amps would be an upgrade from, other than maybe the VK, but I don't care for that one either. The Windsor would be a much better choice, or an Epi SoCal. Or Mig 60, Red Bear, Laney AOR, Bedrock 1000/1200 series, Kitty Hawk Jr Pro, Jackson Reference, Riv Knucklehead,etc. Maybe a Marshall????

• Members
Is that what they are putting in the Re-issues?

Who cares. Get a real one. I actually liked the EL34 version a lot better, as do quite a few other folks. Its just a matter of taste, I guess. The EL34 model with the Torres mods, or similar, is a real beast.

• Members
I saw the New ones from Carvin are $699 so i'll have to save a few more bucks before i can get one unless i come across a used one

Why? Carvin older amps are built much better than their newer stuff. The MTS is nowhere near the amp that the old X-models were. Why not buy a real one, especially at 1/3-1/2 the price.

Archived