thought I wanted a Vox AC30 - maybe I want a Lonestar instead!!

FearMeWithMyLP

• Members

I have a Lonestar 1x12 combo and an AC15 HW 1x12 combo.
They sound very different from each other but both sound awsome.
The Lonestar is very Fenderish sounding, with a nice smooth gain channel...the Vox is very fat and thick sounding with the Blue speaker.
I can't dial them in to sound the same, but I could easily gig with one or the other. If I had to pick one though, it would be the Vox (I've just always loved that Vox type voicing)

• Members

Yeah, that first clip was the one that sold me too!

I love the Vox tone, but I keep reading the user reviews about the reliability issue, and I'm not going to lie. It scares me. Not to mention all the trouble I hear about going through just to change tubes. I am HORRIBLE at soldering, and don't want to deal with going to a tech over every little problem.

How much does the lonestar usually run these days?

• Members

Yeah, that first clip was the one that sold me too!

I love the Vox tone, but I keep reading the user reviews about the reliability issue, and I'm not going to lie. It scares me. Not to mention all the trouble I hear about going through just to change tubes. I am HORRIBLE at soldering, and don't want to deal with going to a tech over every little problem.

How much does the lonestar usually run these days?

I picked up my Lonestar combo used for $1100...I recommend buying used, they are up around $2000 new.

• Members

bikehorn: Great sounding clip, although I like Edge's more sharp and sparkley tone (may be due to him using an LP, but still sounds great)!

almightycrunch: I could see how someone would say it is thin, but one man's thin is another man's sharp! I don't like a whole lot of gain, and I like how there was a good amount of note articulation between the notes in the chords

• Members

Lonestar hands down, its a whole lot versatile as well

i wouldn't consider it any more versatile at all

i actually would bet money that the ac30 handles heavier tones much better than the lonestar

it may be more versatile on the stage cause it has footswitchable channels, but overall i would actually say the ac30 is more versatile

Archived