Got some new headphones today-they suck :[[

nyck

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've heard a lot of reliability issues with grados.

Everyone says they sound great

Every 10th person says they broke.

You really gotta try HD25s. They fit your bill to the letter, and are tougher than cofifn nails.

• Members

Tried the Grados and found them digging deeply into my ear cartelidge(sp) after a half-hour or so

I really like Sennheiser sound - have an older pair of 535's that work & feel great for monitoring / recording. I also use a pair of Sony noise-reducing for casual use and alternatively use a $50. pair of Koss UR40's that I picked up with a Radio Shack gift card someone gave me. Also easy on the ears

I think a lot of people buy a pair of cans but find themselves not using them very often primarily because of a lack of comfort. You really need to "test drive" them for several hours to determine if they fit your head - in addition to the sound.

• Members

I've heard a lot of reliability issues with grados.

Everyone says they sound great

Every 10th person says they broke.

I believe the cups can be twisted indefinitely, until the wire is ripped free of its connection. Nothing hard to fix, but that's a baffling design flaw to me, nonetheless.

• Members

I have a set of Beyer Dynamic DT770's, and a set of Sennheiser HD280's. I use the HD280's as tracking headphones (great isolation, a little light in low end, but clear overall,) and my DT770's are my everything else headphones. The low end is a little hyped, but you get used to it. They aren't as loud as other headphones, I've noticed - not that that's a bad thing, considering there's less chance of going deaf.

• Members

well first, are you looking for cans to travel with or not? if you're looking for stationery, i'd HIGHLY recommend the Sennheiser HD555s. they're not made anymore, but you can find them on ebay for about 100 bucks. they're pretty much the same headphone as the HD580 (which replaced them) or even the HD600 and both of those are at least twice as expensive.

if you don't like the open design the Sennheiser HD280Pro is another fine set which is used in lots of pro-ish applications.

for out in public or on public transportation especially, i like my Shure E2Cs, especially now that they're out of production and the price has gone down. for the 40 bucks i paid they're hard to beat.

• Members

i have like 5 pairs of grados that i use for monitoring/mixing. my dad gets em free from work all the time. they seem pretty decent but they let a TON of outside noise in, obviously from their design

Monitoring on cans while recording = WIN

Mixing on cans = EPIC FAILZ

• Members

love my HD280 Pros. Used them for about 5 years now, and they even lasted thru my fathead friend trying to put them on over his knitted winter hat. Broke a piece of plastic off, but they haven't had any issues in the 2 years since. Love them for closed ear monitoring of a mix. Great sound quality for a reasonably priced headphone IMO.

• Members

Grado SR-80s! No frills, just tone!

They've got a bit of a cult following and the SR-60s have more comfortable ear pads, but the SR-80s sound better. You get used to them pretty quickly Guitar strings dug into my fingers when I first started playing too. ;)

• Members
Grado SR-80s! No frills, just tone!

They've got a bit of a cult following and the SR-60s have more comfortable ear pads, but the SR-80s sound better. You get used to them pretty quickly Guitar strings dug into my fingers when I first started playing too.
;)

sr 80's absolutely.. best of the line from top to bottom-- maybe not the most detailed, but the best sounding.. i've tried the entire line all the way to the rediculously expensive, and the only ones i LOVED-- the higher end are a little hot on top, as are the 60's. you can also replace the pads with sennheiser replacement pads, which are solid-- so no donuts-- and they don't hurt your ears as badly.

with an ipod though-- the 32 ohm grados EAT batteries... only downside.. but then again.. ipods and mp3s have lots of other.. ahem.. downsides...

• Members

Sennheiser is pretty popular with audiophiles. Go to an audiophile forum with a bunch of crazy people and they will tell you to buy Sennheiser. Like others have said, the 280HD are good if you want closed headphones, and for open look at the HD555 phones.

Headphones that are open tend to sound more natural, you would never see $700 audiophile headphones that are closed.

Anyway, return those and read up : http://www.headphone.com/ They have extensive reviews of all of the higher end headphones.

• Members

Sennheiser is pretty popular with audiophiles. Go to an audiophile forum with a bunch of crazy people and they will tell you to buy Sennheiser. Like others have said, the 280HD are good if you want closed headphones, and for open look at the HD555 phones.

Headphones that are open tend to sound more natural, you would never see $700 audiophile headphones that are closed.

Anyway, return those and read up :
They have extensive reviews of all of the higher end headphones.

Opens tend to be less flat and block NO external noise, too.

No use for tracking. Only good for mixing if you know the sound of the headphone very well.

• Members

how about breaking the new headphones in? i had a similar problem with my sennheiser's when i first got them. the treble was biting. after letting them sit through my itunes playlist over night at a good volume they sound great. the mids should come out a little better and you should gain some bass response. headphones are basically little speakers. the cone needs to get moving and start settling in before they will sound there best. there is going to be a little bit of a rasp on the high end and i think its attributed to the MP3 and digital music in general. you need to get used to that. i haven't plugged them into anything else with a dedicated headphone out, but i'm sure the raspiness won't be there.

Archived