Got some new headphones today-they suck :[[

nyck

• Members

I've been in dire need of a good set of headphones-I've been using the ones that came with my ipod, they aren't too great obviously.

I ordered the AKG K44 and I received them today. I'm not too impressed. On the ipod, there is way too much high end. The crappy EQ selection on the ipod doesn't fix that at all. I'm listening on itunes right now with a custom EQ setting, and it's a little better. But I think I can definitely do better.

Someone please recommend me a good pair of headphones for listening to music. I like huge bass and clear highs, not sharp and sizzling -_-

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been in dire need of a good set of headphones-I've been using the ones that came with my ipod, they aren't too great obviously.

I ordered the AKG K44 and I received them today. I'm not too impressed. On the ipod, there is way too much high end. The crappy EQ selection on the ipod doesn't fix that at all. I'm listening on itunes right now with a custom EQ setting, and it's a little better. But I think I can definitely do better.

Someone please recommend me a good pair of headphones for listening to music. I like huge bass and clear highs, not sharp and sizzling -_-

Koss cans from Walmart. They sound like you just described. Don't diss until you try. :) They're like $19

• Members

Get Grado SR-60s. They're very full, clear, and realistic sounding, and they will go well with your iPod. I've never heard anything else that would do better for the money, and unfortunately, myself and others have spent more on other headphones, and only received less for it.
:freak:

Seconded, great bang for the buck. Like a high-class prostitute that got lost on the way to Charlie's and ended up at a cheaper brothel but always wanted to find her way back to her original brothel to be with her other high-class prostitute friends and was shunned by the prostitutes at the new lower-class brothel but was eventually accepted by them due to her talent and determination and now remains at the lower-class brothel so you can have a great bang for the buck.

• Members

i have like 5 pairs of grados that i use for monitoring/mixing. my dad gets em free from work all the time. they seem pretty decent but they let a TON of outside noise in, obviously from their design

And sound out....

For home listening i see it as an advantage, people can still contact me.

• Members

but they let a TON of outside noise in, obviously from their design

Yup, they're open headphones. Plus people nearby get to hear what you're listening to as well, not good for public places, especially noisy places. I use open headphones (HD580s) at home, and closed, actually canal phones (Shure E2C), at work or in public places - they block out most of the ambient noise and don't bleed out sound.

• Members

Seconded, great bang for the buck. Like a high-class prostitute that got lost on the way to Charlie's and ended up at a cheaper brothel but always wanted to find her way back to her original brothel to be with her other high-class prostitute friends and was shunned by the prostitutes at the new lower-class brothel but was eventually accepted by them due to her talent and determination and now remains at the lower-class brothel so you can have a great bang for the buck.

roflcopter

How very in/appropriate.

• Members

With my MP3 player I use Sennheiser PX100 open headphones. Fairly inexpensive, light and comfy to wear, folds up to be quite compact, and of course IMO sound very nice. I'm on my 2nd pair at the moment, having killed my first pair by accidentally driving off with them hanging out the car door. :o

At home for recording, I use Sennheiser HD280 Pro closed headphones.

• Members

I don't like those compared to the Grados. Sure, they sound fine, but they have a very exaggerated frequency response that doesn't sound very real to me. All personal preference of course.

They are fine for non critical work. They are somewhat like an SM58. You won't make anyone excited but they will be accepted and will do the job.

What I noticed the most about them it is much harder to hear slight clipping with them.

• Members

That's sort of what I was getting at. They SOUND clear, but it's because of the "pleasing" frequency response. The finer details are still lost.

In reality, though, I'd imagine that a whole heck of a lot of people would instantly decide they preferred the Sonys in a comparison. Most people just go with what sounds "better" upon first impression, because they probably aren't interested in paying really close attention to detail to begin with. So they're definitely perfectly suitable as reasonably good quality, casual listening, headphones to most people out there.

• Members

Yeah, for sure.

Archived