so are you happy to let other bands ...

lunarian1

• Members

I hate leaving my stack at my band mate's house because he flips the power and standby switch on instead of waiting to flip the standby.

He's a {censored}ing retard.

No matter how many times I tell him he always does it.

Punch him in the dick.

Then tell him to buy you new tubes because the old ones have had their cathodes stripped. If he asks you what the means, punch him in the dick again.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

depends on the band. if it is a band i know, i probably won't have much of a problem letting them use my gear (amp/cab, not my guitars, usually tho). if its just some random band who's like ":o hai, we didin't bring an amp to this show, can we use yours?" i usually say no.

• Members

I've played tons of shows (originals) where there a bunch of bands, and I've never really run into a situation where any of the bands use each others' gear. Once or twice, maybe drums and once we used "house" cabinets, but that's it. Maybe a house bass amp too...I think.

Anyway, the most annoying thing I've run into is "backloading" 5 rigs or so in order of performance.

In any event, I guess I wouldn't have an issue if someone used my amp rig for a set as long as I set it up. In all honesty, I often have the nicest rig anywhere we play (except when we've opened for national acts) so it would be neat to hear it while not playing it.

• Members

I'm a little too nice about it. I've had some nice stuff screwed with. I'm still trying to get my RAT fixed after letting my friend borrow it for a tour.

But especially if someone else needs equipment at a show, I'm happy to let them use my stuff. In fact, it overjoys me to see how overjoyed they are. They're usually holding something much nicer than their own stuff. ;)

• Members

Depends on who it is, I guess. The few times it's come up, it's always been someone I know, so it hasn't been an issue. I once went home to get my rig for a friend who was having equipment trouble as my house was a five minute drive from the venue. I was just there to see his band, not even playing that night.

• Members

no i never give my half stack other guitarist!!!!

forget about it...!!!! =)

Actualy i never lose a chance to give in use my gear when local lives are hapens! =((

because itis a realy good chance to visit the show for free!! and get some cash for stack rent!!! =))))))

• Members

no i never give my half stack other guitarist!!!!

forget about it...!!!! =)

Actualy i never lose a chance to give in use my gear when local lives are hapens! =((

because itis a realy good chance to visit the show for free!! and get some cash for stack rent!!! =))))))

wat

• Members

My only hard rule: No drinks on the amp..EVER!!!

Don't get me started. We played a show with some bunch of kids who had every friend they knew as a "roadie". They all flooded the side stage when that band played ( the guitar player played 4 different guitars, all PRS's, for a 10 song set, all in the same tuning). One of them was hanging on my rig, open beer cup on top of my amp. I almost killed the kid.

If I know a band, I'll do it gladly, but otherwise it's a case by case basis. If the player seems to know what they're doing, sure, but if it's some spazzed out metalcore kid who's broken his Spider, not {censored}ing likely.

• Members

I've never understood people that act like setting up an amp is some massive undertaking that takes days or weeks. Someone could completely change the settings on my amp and I could switch them back in about 5 seconds.

It's about respect. If you're too lazy to bring your own {censored}, then you should be DAMN happy that someone else is letting you use theirs, and take whatever tone you're given.

If you have a problem with that, then get your own amp.

• Members

Don't get me started. We played a show with some bunch of kids who had every friend they knew as a "roadie". They all flooded the side stage when that band played ( the guitar player played 4 different guitars, all PRS's, for a 10 song set, all in the same tuning). One of them was hanging on my rig, open beer cup on top of my amp. I almost killed the kid.

If I know a band, I'll do it gladly, but otherwise it's a case by case basis. If the player seems to know what they're doing, sure, but if it's some spazzed out metalcore kid who's broken his Spider, not {censored}ing likely.

Musically, we're a fairly small community here. You end up seeing the same core of players in different combinations over and over. We go to their jams, they come to ours.

Occasionally some obvious bozo will come up to do his 3 tunes. That's when I stick close to the stage. But most of the time it's a guy I know whose amp I used the week before.

Cuz I have a small collection of oddball amps most people don't have, I get guys coming out just to try whatever I dragged along that week. I like that - I can go out and hear what my {censored} sounds like from off stage.

• Members

The only time I let someone use my rig was when I had given my band a two month notice that I was leaving and I was helping them audition other players at our rehearsal space. A couple guys showed up with first version Spiders on "insane" or whatever that horrible thin tone is and I stopped them after about 10 seconds into the song and pretty much forced them to use my gear.

I don't recall anyone actually asking to use my rig otherwise.

• Members

It's about respect. If you're too lazy to bring your own {censored}, then you should be DAMN happy that someone else is letting you use theirs, and take whatever tone you're given.

If you have a problem with that, then get your own amp.

What about if you aren't too lazy to bring your own {censored}, and your amp just decides that today, it's not going to work?

I hvae no problem personally with people setting up my gear to their liking if I've loaned it to them, provided it still works as it did when I get it back.

• Members

What about if you aren't too lazy to bring your own {censored}, and your amp just decides that today, it's not going to work?

That's fine, and it happens to all of us. HOWEVER, you should be grateful that you're getting to opportunity to play the show due to someone else's generosity, and, IMO, changing their setting without their permission pisses all over that generosity.

• Members

Indeed. Especially if its at a show and their amp crapped out. I let someone use my cab once and they blew all my speakers from running a '70 Superlead on 10 and then boosting it. I didnt have them reimburse me because I couldnt prove it was them but I also didnt really care that much. Such is the price of rock 'n roll.

Good on ya, Tele! I'm gonna adopt that philosophy.

• Members

That's fine, and it happens to all of us. HOWEVER, you should be grateful that you're getting to opportunity to play the show due to someone else's generosity, and, IMO, changing their setting without their permission pisses all over that generosity.

I just don't quite get it.

My settings invariably change from day to day, and if I lend someone my amp, I'd love to hear what they can do to dial in my amp to their liking. Maybe I'll hear something I hadn't heard before and like it.

Archived