Is Master of Puppets all downstrokes?

Burn

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Truth.

MOP has kind of taken on the "Sweet Child O Mine" aura IMO; nobody wants to hear you playing Master of Puppets, no matter how good you can play it; it's just turning into THAT song that makes you roll your eyes at Guitar Center. The fact that it sounds incorrect unless you pick it the exact right way doesn't help.

• Members

MOP has kind of taken on the "Sweet Child O Mine" aura IMO; nobody wants to hear you playing Master of Puppets, no matter how good you can play it; it's just turning into THAT song that makes you roll your eyes at Guitar Center. The fact that it sounds incorrect unless you pick it the exact right way doesn't help.

I don't think picking technique has anything to do with what's turning it into "that" song, but I agree... if Wayne's World was made today, it would be "No Master? Denied!"

• 3 years later...
  • Members

In all seriousness I landed on this (very old) thread searching on how to play MoP. I've played for nearly 30 years and am pretty competent at a number of styles. I can play intricate stuff but true speed just evades me, picking-wise.

I've spent many hours playing relaxed, trying to be economic with my picking action etc but I've never managed to get to the sorts of speeds I would like. MoP just illustrates how slow I am, I can alternate pick it easily but downstrokes I can't even get close.

It's nothing to do with stamina, I just physically can't move the pick with downstrokes anywhere near fast enough.

It's frustrating when I see you tube clips and hear people playing sloppy notes, not very musical etc and think I could do much better, but then they play some speed stuff and it all comes together and I know I can't get anywhere close.

Is there anyone here who has experienced this barrier and broken through it.....or knows of someone that has. I'm not lazy but just being told to start slow on the metronome and build up doesn't work for me...I hit a threshold and no amount of practice seems to push me through. How frustrating!

Still love playing the guitar though....just been getting into 7 string and learning Build me up, Break me down....

• Members

it was one of the first song i tried to learn and started with downpicking only, so by the time i was picking it correctly and was damn fast on downstroke. Even nowadays some people wonder how i can play some part only downpicking with string skipping in my band. The other guitarist altenate picks it and he cant do it at all downpicking only.

I also fingered a girl one time and she told me that she would never date someone who doesnt play guitar again cause the work i did on her clit with my fretboard hand was supposedly awesome :lol:

• Members

I also fingered a girl one time and she told me that she would never date someone who doesnt play guitar again cause the work i did on her clit with my fretboard hand was supposedly awesome
:lol:

You jest but I have actually heard this more than once. Not about you of course, about me.

• Members

In all seriousness I landed on this (very old) thread searching on how to play MoP. I've played for nearly 30 years and am pretty competent at a number of styles. I can play intricate stuff but true speed just evades me, picking-wise.

I've spent many hours playing relaxed, trying to be economic with my picking action etc but I've never managed to get to the sorts of speeds I would like. MoP just illustrates how slow I am, I can alternate pick it easily but downstrokes I can't even get close.

It's nothing to do with stamina, I just physically can't move the pick with downstrokes anywhere near fast enough.

It's frustrating when I see you tube clips and hear people playing sloppy notes, not very musical etc and think I could do much better, but then they play some speed stuff and it all comes together and I know I can't get anywhere close.

Is there anyone here who has experienced this barrier and broken through it.....or knows of someone that has. I'm not lazy but just being told to start slow on the metronome and build up doesn't work for me...I hit a threshold and no amount of practice seems to push me through. How frustrating!

Still love playing the guitar though....just been getting into 7 string and learning Build me up, Break me down....

Some people just don't have the fast twitch muscles. You could always try practicing with a metronome and building your way up... or you could smoke some meth.

• Members

You might want to pick up the Troy Stetina Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar package. It's a method specifically designed for improving speed and has a lot of picking info/exercises.

• Members

Cheers, I'll try it out.....

Dude seriously use a metronome. Start (after warmup) at the absolute fastest you can go, then back it off a couple of clicks and start practicing. Stay at that speed for a few weeks and you'll see that it's no longer difficult. Then bump it up until its awkward again and back off one or two clicks and start over. In a few months you'll have your speed and your stamina. The only caveat is that your practice needs to be consistant. Twice a day for 20 minutes, 5 mins for warmup and 15 for the exercise.

• Members

Troy Stetina and metronome helps a lot, but everyone's threshold is different. I've gotten a ton faster (still slow as {censored}, but way faster than I was) at picking and haven't nearly maxed out, but there is no way in hell I could get to the level of some of the stuff out there. At least not in the amount of time I'm willing to devote to practice. Hell though, even if I was practicing two hours a day, every day, I've never had great fast twitch muscles for anything.

That said, the suggestions here will help a lot.

*Noob hack who has become slightly less nooby and hackish. Slightly*

• Members

Update. I've ordered the Troy book, due here tomorrow. I just checked my comfortable speed for playing this - not knowing already shows that I don't use a metronome enough....I'm about 40 bpm or 20% out.... So theoretically if I can improve my speed by just about 1bpm a week I should be able to play this perfectly in a year! Not sure if theory and practice will match up though. I bet they play it faster live too!

You might want to pick up the Troy Stetina Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar package. It's a method specifically designed for improving speed and has a lot of picking info/exercises.

• Members

With the first intro riff (the one on the low E string that descends down), i downstroke all the open low E's and upstroke the fretted notes. On the second riff (the "spider hand" riff as i've heard it cutely referred to), i downstroke all the low E notes and upstroke the A string notes.
I find that for the palm-muted low E chugs, you really can hear a difference if there are down and upstrokes involved. But on the fretted, non palm muted notes, it makes no difference to upstroke.

Archived