Is Master of Puppets all downstrokes?

Burn

• Members

Is it?

Obviously it's significantly more comfortable to play the thing alternate picked. I think John Petrucci of DT was alternate picking it when they covered it, but I'm not sure about how James Hetfield plays it.

I have been half-assing it for about 10 years, so I just decided today that I want to get this song right. :lol:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that song gives me all sorts of trouble still to this day and i have been playing since that {censored}ing song came out lol! the intro is not as hard for me to play as opposed to the verse...that song makes my forearm burnnnnnnnn!

• Members

yeah, I can play down strokes like no ones business...It was the alternate picking I had to work on in my early years.The guitarist we have now tries to alternate pick EVERYTHING, I am constantly jumping his ass to down stroke.

Exactly... Somehow, over the years, I got used to alternate picking everything, even rhythms that I can easily downstroke.

So I'm trying to un-learn "proper technique" at this point. :lol:

• Members

that song gives me all sorts of trouble still to this day and i have been playing since that fucking song came out lol! the intro is not as hard for me to play as opposed to the verse...that song makes my forearm burnnnnnnnn!

Yeah, me too.

I just think because I tried so hard to learn that song when I was just starting guitar, I programmed in some terrible technique there :D

I should be able to play it, logically... But I just can't :p

• Members

Well to me it sounds shit alternate picked. So I downpick it all and by the end of the song I'm looking a bit like Popeye.

Agreed. I can play thrash all day -- except all those songs that are almost fully downpicked. I wear out and start to slow up a bit too much before a song like MoP is over and just had to reason with myself a decade or so ago that apparently I just wasn't meant to play that way. I can't feel too bad about it; apparently Petrucci is in the same boat. :D

• Members

My previous band used to cover it and when we first started, we we're really struggling. But the key to it is to really warm up before hand. Stretching too. Also, making sure all the movement is in the wrist otherwise you'll tire yourself out before the chorus.

I built up the stamina in my right arm over time and this song helps out alot with building stamina. Take it slow at first then gradually build it up. Then let loose.

Archived