Weird Allan Holdsworth Story

bmast160

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

why did you care? He had no musicality...right?

I'm sure he doesn't give a {censored} about tubes and probably thought it was a wanker conversation. If you're the type that given the chance to talk to Holdsworth, wasted it by trying to talk tube shop, then I highly doubt that you have the ability to even comprehend Holdsworth's "musicality".

Haha great, +1

I saw Holdsworth a few weeks back had a short chat with him and for being the amazing, highly respected guitarist he is he's is completely down to earth and really cool to talk to. I agree his music isn't for most, but to say it's unmusical shows something on your part, there is tons of melody going on in Holdsworth's music you just have to know how to listen for it:idea:

• Members

Haha great, +1

I saw Holdsworth a few weeks back had a short chat with him and for being the amazing, highly respected guitarist he is he's is completely down to earth and really cool to talk to. I agree his music isn't for most, but to say it's unmusical shows something on your part, there is tons of melody going on in Holdsworth's music you just have to know how to listen for it:idea:

theres also musicality in the wind and the trees and the bumblebees...just need to know what to listen for

• Members

Of all the things I could have asked or conversed about.....

"dude...your preamp tubes...what kind?'

....Probably would have never ocurred to me. You're talking to a legend. A master.

im not gonna put him on a pedestal. talked to him just like any people would have a conversation. pushed him a little on what he knew. boo hoo. thats what i was interested in and thats all i wanted to ask him about.

just thought his response was hilarious

• Members

This guy is from a generation which saw tubes in ALL kinds of electronic equipment and he must have seen some epic equipment failure in his time. He doesn't have a worship attitude towards tubes.

Most of us, on the other hand, love tubes because they give us a sound which was pioneered by our favorite players.

• Members

im not gonna put him on a pedestal. talked to him just like any people would have a conversation. pushed him a little on what he knew. boo hoo. thats what i was interested in and thats all i wanted to ask him about.

just thought his response was hilarious

I didn't say you had to. And it's cool you wanted to ask him about preamp tubes...I guess. I guess it's no worse than "what mode was that?"

You do know he used Pearce for ever, right? No tubes.

And his repsonse was hilarious. Gave you something to remember him by.

• Members

I didn't say you had to. And it's cool you wanted to ask him about preamp tubes...I guess. I guess it's no worse than "what mode was that?"

You do know he used Pearce for ever, right? No tubes.

And his repsonse was hilarious. Gave you something to remember him by.

He used Yamaha DG's for at least ten years which are modlers. Although I think he still put them through tube power then through his harness then wherever.

Another thing. He doesn't use the preamp sections on the H&K's. He uses 5 Yamaha Magic stomps. He's only using the power sections on those amps.

• Members

Holdsworth probably doesn't care much about tubes anymore since his tone is derived almost entirely from the DeLap guitar, Yamaha Magicstomps and assorted booster pedals that he uses. The H&K amps he uses,(Fender Twins, Carvin Power amp with assorted cabinets on occasion etc.) are used only for volume (i.e.power amplification). It seems that no matter what kind of tubes his amps employ on any particular night, he always has that awesome tone that only his prodigious technique and incredibly advanced musical sensibilities can provide. So, given the fact that pre-amp tubes don't even come into the picture at all, he couldn't care less about the type of 12ax7s present in the amp, and, regardless of whether the power section uses EL34s, 6L6s or 5881s etc. the rest of his rig has far more to do with his sound.

Before you go slagging off one of the best musicians out there....get your facts straight.

Archived