Weird Allan Holdsworth Story

bmast160

• Members

Went to see him play for the first time last night and it might have been one time too many. Amazing technicality but i think there is a huge difference between technicality and musicality and i dont think the latter was there.Heres the story. After the show they're all packing up their stuff and his amp was at the edge of the stage with the back plate off so i could see some of the tubes. Two TAD el34 and two 12ax7s but the writing on those was facing in so i couldnt see so i asked allen since he was onstage

me: hey what kind of 12ax7s do you have in your amp

him: huh?

me: what kind of 12ax7s do you have in your amp

him::confused:

me: tubes...the tubes

him: there are no good tubes anymore

me: :freak: maybe but you still use some in your amp...what kind do you like

him: anything that i can find

me: where do you get them from? watford valves?

him: anyplace...anyplace that sells them

me: so you dont have any preference between certain tubes...obviously some are gonna sound different that others.

him: i dont know...(shakes his head)....groove tubes....there are some really bad tube amps out there

me: ok. but there are some really great ones too...and there are some really bad solid state amps...and some decent ones...

him: yeah. but there arent any more good tubes...they were gone long ago

me: see ya

im thinking come on man...you've been playing since the 70s and you dont even know what tubes are going in your amp...im not an idiot...you obviously know and have tried lots of different kinds...but then again maybe he really hasnt...either way it wasnt worth the money to see

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It sounds to me like the guy was tired, he just finished his gig and was packing up and ready to go home. I'm sure if he had a dollar for every time some one has asked him about his equipment he'd have a million. Don't rag the guy because after 30+ years of road gigs he is tired of answering questions from the audience about tubes:confused:

• Members

I think he just knows how to make anything sound good-tubes or SS, besides he's been using Solid State extensively over the past decade. I believe he's using H&K Switchblade amps live which essentially is a SS/tube hybrid pre with a tube poweramp so pre tube selection is not that important- he probably goes along with whatever H&K installs in them.

Either that or he's really becoming an old geezer:idk:

• Members

It sounds to me like the guy was tired, he just finished his gig and was packing up and ready to go home. I'm sure if he had a dollar for every time some one has asked him about his equipment he'd have a million. Don't rag the guy because after 30+ years of road gigs he is tired of answering questions from the audience about tubes:confused:

k. fine. then say it. sorry man im exhausted and cant really chat. dont get into a conversation by spouting off bull{censored}....it would have been quicker just to answer the question...

not to mention the fact that he was chatting up a storm right after while signing autographs...

just a weird story

• Members

I've noticed the last thing touring muso's wanna hear is the usual "hows the tour going"..."what tuning are you in"...."what amp do you use" etc etc.

Having said that im sure he could of spilled out the usual script of what he uses n stuff.

You should have said his tone sucks to get his attention or something :)

Where did you see him play?

• Members

Yeah FFS man. I could care less about talking about tubes in my amps as well, especially AFTER a gig while Im packing up. Maybe engage the dude in a conversation about something other than gear and see what happens.. Even though I went throught the "tube" phase too, I really couldnt tell you whats in there now besides I put a JJ in V1. Believe it or not there are guitar players who dont really care or know what tubes are in their amps..

• Members

Um, I'm not really surprised.

I'll bet that he has his own guitar tech that decides what tubes go into his amps. I'm sure that he's too busy actually playing the guitar and writing music to actually have the time to walk into a music store (or go online) and purchase the tubes himself.

I mean, its not like you asked him what string gauge he used.....

• Members

I'll bet that he has his own guitar tech that decides what tubes go into his amps. I'm sure that he's too busy actually playing the guitar and writing music to actually have the time to walk into a music store (or go online) and purchase the tubes himself.

there are no good strings anymore

• Members

you really think he has his own tech? he didnt even have anyone to break down his stuff.

• Members

why did you care? He had no musicality...right?

I'm sure he doesn't give a {censored} about tubes and probably thought it was a wanker conversation. If you're the type that given the chance to talk to Holdsworth, wasted it by trying to talk tube shop, then I highly doubt that you have the ability to even comprehend Holdsworth's "musicality".

• Members

Two things: I spend a lot of money on tubes. I go to the boutique on-line dealers and read the reviews and determine what will work best in my application. Having said that, I couldn't tell you what tube is where in my amps. It doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I still sound like me and people in the crowd aren't going to hear the difference after it goes through the FOH.

Second, you had a one on one with A. Holdsworth, and you asked him, pestered him, about his tubes? WTF? Seriously, you sat through an hour and that was the question you asked? Obviously, the guy doesn't care about tubes too much, as he has been using a Yamaha modeler for most of his sounds lately.

• Members

you really think he has his own tech? he didnt even have anyone to break down his stuff.

Oh, well I figured a guitar god would have his own techs. My bad....

I'm guessing he probably rarely changes the tubes out, and when he needs amp maintenance, he brings it to a tech in a repair shop (and probably really doesn't give a damn about what tubes are being installed).

OR...he was just tired of these sort of questions, and wanted to go home.

Whatever the case, he could have handled the situation better.

• Members

Two things: I spend a lot of money on tubes. I go to the boutique on-line dealers and read the reviews and determine what will work best in my application. Having said that, I couldn't tell you what tube is where in my amps. It doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I still sound like me and people in the crowd aren't going to hear the difference after it goes through the FOH.

Second, you had a one on one with A. Holdsworth, and you asked him, pestered him, about his tubes? WTF? Seriously, you sat through an hour and that was the question you asked? Obviously, the guy doesn't care about tubes too much, as he has been using a Yamaha modeler for most of his sounds lately.

thats what i wanted to ask :wave:

• Members

why did you care? He had no musicality...right?

I'm sure he doesn't give a {censored} about tubes and probably thought it was a wanker conversation. If you're the type that given the chance to talk to Holdsworth, wasted it by trying to talk tube shop, then I highly doubt that you have the ability to even comprehend Holdsworth's "musicality".

lol. followed by a wanker response. there are no good tubes anymore. come on man...you should know better than that

• Members

Went to see him play for the first time last night and it might have been one time too many. Amazing technicality but i think there is a huge difference between technicality and musicality and i dont think the latter was there.Heres the story. After the show they're all packing up their stuff and his amp was at the edge of the stage with the back plate off so i could see some of the tubes. Two TAD el34 and two 12ax7s but the writing on those was facing in so i couldnt see so i asked allen since he was onstage

me: hey what kind of 12ax7s do you have in your amp

him: huh?

me: what kind of 12ax7s do you have in your amp

him:
:confused:
me: tubes...the tubes

him: there are no good tubes anymore

me:
:freak:
maybe but you still use some in your amp...what kind do you like

him: anything that i can find

me: where do you get them from? watford valves?

him: anyplace...anyplace that sells them

me: so you dont have any preference between certain tubes...obviously some are gonna sound different that others.

him: i dont know...(shakes his head)....groove tubes....there are some really bad tube amps out there

me: ok. but there are some really great ones too...and there are some really bad solid state amps...and some decent ones...

him: yeah. but there arent any more good tubes...they were gone long ago

me: see ya

im thinking come on man...you've been playing since the 70s and you dont even know what tubes are going in your amp...im not an idiot...you obviously know and have tried lots of different kinds...but then again maybe he really hasnt...either way it wasnt worth the money to see

What is the point of speaking with the chap if you aren't prepared to have a proper conversation. He more or less said he doesn't bother with tubes any more ...so you disagree with him and badger him about it :confused:

• Members

What is the point of speaking with the chap if you aren't prepared to have a proper conversation. He more or less said he doesn't bother with tubes any more ...so you disagree with him and badger him about it
:confused:

he was just bullshitting me. there are know good tubes anymore? wtf? what a lame response.

Archived