I'm on my way to pick up a 5150 combo...

guitarbilly74

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, one of my ex friends is selling his 5150 combo. I kind of want to buy it because 1) he's selling it for only $600 and 2) I won't have to spend $1200 on a new 6505 combo. But I'm kind of worried if I buy it, it will stop working not long after I bring it home. It's a fear I have when buying these types of things used. I don't know what to do. Either get a new 6505 2x12 or get his used 5150 2x12.

• Members

Peaveys are very reliable amps I wouldn't worry too much about that ... but $600 is kinda high. You can find them around $500.

If it's not an urgent need, just wait until ones comes along at the right price.

Yeah, but he's the second owner of it. I also know the first owner and I know that he used it for gigging quite often. So, it's definitely seen the stage many times. That's why I kinda worry, ya know, me being the 3rd owner.

• Members

lol.. no I have seven other tube amps, it's really the amp - actually the speakers

Actually its probably more your settings. 8.5 on the mids! Back off.. Thats WAY to high on the combo. And on the combo the pre-gain will thicken the tone up with it a bit higher. The head is plenty thick with the Pre-gain on 5, the combo needs to be higher, yeah it adds noise, but it helps keep it from getting "plinky".

IN case you missed my clip I put at the very start of this thread.

http://worldofsht.googlepages.com/CryPleaseNoTrack02.mp3

Settings on that track.

Lead gain-7

Bass-8

Mid-5.5

Treble-4

Post gain-3.5

Res-7

Pres-4

All recorded with the 5150 combo thru Sheffield 1200 speakers... Not plinky at all.. Im not saying a speaker change wont change up your tone, but the sheffields arent that bad. YOu can't run your amp with that high of mids with em though. Why dont you try EVH's settings when he used the 5150's.

Lead pre-6.5

Bass- 6.5

Mids- 2(!!!!!!!) Eddie used his mids low.. The 5150 has an abundance of mids to start, no reason to crank em,,

Treble-5

Fine tune from there and set the Resonance and Presence controls to taste..

• Members

Yeah, but he's the second owner of it. I also know the first owner and I know that he used it for gigging quite often. So, it's definitely seen the stage many times. That's why I kinda worry, ya know, me being the 3rd owner.

it should be fine... If you want the additional piece of mind, take it to a tech you trust and have him test it just to make sure everything is ok, even paying the tech, you will still be saving a lot of money from the price of a new one.

I rarely buy new gear these days, the used market is full of great deals. Mine was $450 and it works perfectly.

• Members

it should be fine... If you want the additional piece of mind, take it to a tech you trust and have him test it just to make sure everything is ok, even paying the tech, you will still be saving a lot of money from the price of a new one.

Yeah, I never though of that. That's a good idea.

• Members

Actually its probably more your settings. 8.5 on the mids! Back off.. Thats WAY to high on the combo. And on the combo the pre-gain will thicken the tone up with it a bit higher. The head is plenty thick with the Pre-gain on 5, the combo needs to be higher, yeah it adds noise, but it helps keep it from getting "plinky".

IN case you missed my clip I put at the very start of this thread.

Settings on that track.

Lead gain-7

Bass-8

Mid-5.5

Treble-4

Post gain-3.5

Res-7

Pres-4

All recorded with the 5150 combo thru Sheffield 1200 speakers... Not plinky at all.. Im not saying a speaker change wont change up your tone, but the sheffields arent that bad. YOu can't run your amp with that high of mids with em though. Why dont you try EVH's settings when he used the 5150's.

Lead pre-6.5

Bass- 6.5

Mids- 2(!!!!!!!) Eddie used his mids low.. The 5150 has an abundance of mids to start, no reason to crank em,,

Treble-5

Fine tune from there and set the Resonance and Presence controls to taste..

I will give these settings a try.. your band sounds great btw

• Members

I used to have a 5150 combo, the original speakers are terrible and the amp is a stupid combination of heavy and bulky making it almost impossible for one person to maneuver it safely.

that said, after I replaced the speakers, it sounded great, but was a bit too noisy for me.

So, I upgraded to a Randall MTS head and vader 4x12 cab :)

• Members

5150 combo is one of my fav amps. The loop is great, the tones are sick.

Sounds amazing with a 4x12.

I pref it to the heads.

CUT THE MIDS. Mids on 4 and res on 6 were my settings. The rest I tuned to the room.

• Members

yeah lowering the mids helped a lot. I play Marshall most of the time so I am used to cranking up the mids .. but I agree this amp sounds better with the mids low

Also for cleans, make sure the button on the ryth chan is out, put the gain on 2 and crank the master.

For a thick ryth sound, crank the gain on chan 1, press in teh button and be prepared for some HUGE sounding power chords. :thu:

• Members

yeah lowering the mids helped a lot. I play Marshall most of the time so I am used to cranking up the mids .. but I agree this amp sounds better with the mids low

Yeah keep playing around with it. I go back and forth, from my mids around 5-6 and treble down around 4, to cutting the mids to about 3 and raise the treble to about 5.. Honestly I couldnt see much use with the mids above 6, and thats really pushing it.. And on the rhythm channel with the "crunch" engaged I find the mids never want to be above 4, but thats just me.. With the crunch off on the rhythm channel feel free to crank the mids and treat the amp similarly to a Marshall since I think the rhythm channel with the "crunch" off is pretty Marshall'esqe. You may have to kick the "bright" switch on to get the bite of a Marhshall though..

• Members
Also for cleans, make sure the button on the ryth chan is out, put the gain on 2 and crank the master.

For a thick ryth sound, crank the gain on chan 1, press in teh button and be prepared for some HUGE sounding power chords.
:thu:

{censored} YES, settings I posted on first page sound {censored}ing huge!

I like my mids, on channel 1, I keep em nice and high, maybe channel 2 wouldn't like the mids as much.

• Members

For a thick ryth sound, crank the gain on chan 1, press in teh button and be prepared for some HUGE sounding power chords.

I just tried the Crunch button on the rhythm channel with the gain up for the first time and WHOA!! I was expecting a weak crunch but that's where the tone really is!!!
I think EVH was using the crunch mode on rhythm channel for the most part because this channel definitely gets his tone!!

• Members

I just tried the Crunch button on the rhythm channel with the gain up for the first time and WHOA!! I was expecting a weak crunch but that's where the tone really is!!!

I think EVH was using the crunch mode on rhythm channel for the most part because this channel definitely gets his tone!!

• Members

That is my favorite distortion tone. If that was channel 2, and channel 1 was a real clean, that'd be my ultimate amp.

Sadly, I don't like the lead channel at all, and need a clean, so my 5150 is only really good for recording for me.

• Members

:

That will work well, but perhaps a better way is to use the low-gain input for a clean sound. Also try using the low-gain input on the Lead channel as well, it definitly thickens it up some while keeping the gain under control a bit..

But if you want to run your guitar into the high gain input, you can actually use a simple on/off switch plugged into the lo-gain. When you engage the switch it switches both inputs to Lo-gain, so you can still get a good clean sound without having to switch inputs.

PV sells one that I use for this..

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/1490/Push%20On/Push%20Off%20Button%20Switch.cfm

Plug this little do-dad in the lo-gain while your guitar is in the high gain input and simply hit the button to switch between high and lo-gain.. Cool little trick.

• Members

{censored} you hadnt tried the rhythm channel yet?? Yeah its MUCH bigger.. Plenty of gain too.. I have been using that channel more and more as my main channel, even for leads..

• Members

I think I am going to use the channels reversed... I will use the Rhythm channel for my main distorted tone, then use the Lead channel with the Pre gain set at 1.5 just for a soft break up and roll off the volume for cleans.

In theory this is working at a moderate volume level right now, I hope it will work well on Saturday with the band...

worst case scenario, I also have a twin reverb so I could just one channel on the 5150 and get an A/B box. It's just a lot of {censored} to carry around but hey..

I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with this amp now!!

• Members

I think I am going to use the channels reversed... I will use the Rhythm channel for my main distorted tone, then use the Lead channel with the Pre gain set at 1.5 just for a soft break up and roll off the volume for cleans.

In theory this is working at a moderate volume level right now, I hope it will work well on Saturday with the band...

worst case scenario, I also have a twin reverb so I could just one channel on the 5150 and get an A/B box. It's just a lot of {censored} to carry around but hey..

I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with this amp now!!

I might have to try that tomorrow!

• Members

But if you want to run your guitar into the high gain input, you can actually use a simple on/off switch plugged into the lo-gain. When you engage the switch it switches both inputs to Lo-gain, so you can still get a good clean sound without having to switch inputs.

PV sells one that I use for this..

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/1490/Push%20On/Push%20Off%20Button%20Switch.cfm

Plug this little do-dad in the lo-gain while your guitar is in the high gain input and simply hit the button to switch between high and lo-gain.. Cool little trick.

whoa.. I have a single footswitch here... lemme try this trick .. BRB :D

Archived