I'm on my way to pick up a 5150 combo...

guitarbilly74

• Members

Great {censored}in amp dude you will love it screw these guys that say it sucks they are preps, (I would love a bogner too but they are not $450) change the tubes and speakers. My main bitch was the clean channel and the weight of the thing, it's a backbreaker. P.S. get an EQ pedal and never look back.

I own and have owned many amps and my FJA 5150 is one I will never sell!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was just stating a fact..

When i had mine, i alway kept it in the low gain input and the pre around 6.. It was freaking awesome :thu:

My brother has the low gain JJ tube kit in the same combo (he bought it from me) and now you can plug it into hi input and set the pre at 6 and its even more crunchy with out being super muddy mess..

Its awesome :D

but WHO would use full pre gain on the lead channel??? That's just insanity!!!

I am getting ALL the gain I need with the gain set to 5 !!!

That just reinforce my impression that a lot of the bad reviews are due to user error

• Members

It goes like this.

Lo/hi input
Channel selector swtich
Clean channel pregain w/ bright and crunch switch
Lead channel pregain
Bass
Mid
Treble
Reverb
Clean Post (vol)
Lead Post (vol)
Resonance
Presence
Standby switch
Power switch.

This is if your facing the speakers and looking down on the controls..

I'm not familiar with the controls on the 5150/6505 combos. Is the pre gain essentially the gain knob? And wtf is post gain?
:confused:

• Members

It goes like this.

Lo/hi input

Channel selector swtich

Clean channel pregain w/ bright and crunch switch

Lead channel pregain

Bass

Mid

Treble

Reverb

Clean Post (vol)

Lead Post (vol)

Resonance

Presence

Standby switch

Power switch.

This is if your facing the speakers and looking down on the controls..

So if I'm looking down at them, they'll all be on top of eachother?:confused:

:cop:

Yeah I know what controls it has, but I just wasn't familiar with what they did. Like pre and post gain. Why the {censored} can't they call it volume and gain?! Because that's what I go by.:mad:

• Members

I'm wanting one too. Had one in the 90s. The only reason I'm holding off is I'm waiting to hear Peavey's modeller first. It does a 6505, both channels. If that sounds decent I'll go with that.

I'll have either the Vypyr or a 5150 combo by the end of summer. :thu:

• Members

Just wanted to chime in about speaker replacement: Check out the WGS British Lead 80 (CL80 clone).

I installed one in my Classic 30, and it improved things big time, but luckily didn't alter the amp's original character too much. I really like how they smooth out the top end, and give tighter bass response. Also, my clean headroom is now a bit better, and it sounds way less harsh when jamming a higher volumes. The only catch is that these speakers definitely need some good breaking in, as they do not sound perfect out of the box.

I know we are talking about different amps here, but I think these characteristics would definitely benefit your 5150 combo. Plus, its a fairly cheap upgrade. :thu:

• Members
Just wanted to chime in about speaker replacement: Check out the WGS British Lead 80 (CL80 clone).

I installed one in my Classic 30, and it improved things big time, but luckily didn't alter the amp's original character too much. I really like how they smooth out the top end, and give tighter bass response. Also, my clean headroom is now a bit better, and it sounds way less harsh when jamming a higher volumes. The only catch is that these speakers definitely need some good breaking in, as they do not sound perfect out of the box.

I know we are talking about different amps here, but I think these characteristics would definitely benefit your 5150 combo. Plus, its a fairly cheap upgrade.
:thu:

cool thanks for the tip. I will test the amp with the band on Saturday and if I feel there's something lacking I will look into upgrading speakers, tubes etc... but so far I really like the amp as is. Let's see...

• Members

How long did it take for the speaker to break in? I just put in a pair of the green berets on my Classic 50 to replace the V30's i had in there.. It sounds much better to my ears.. Did it take a few weeks or so?

I know we are talking about different amps here, but I think these characteristics would definitely benefit your 5150 combo. Plus, its a fairly cheap upgrade.
:thu:

• Members

How long did it take for the speaker to break in? I just put in a pair of the green berets on my Classic 50 to replace the V30's i had in there.. It sounds much better to my ears.. Did it take a few weeks or so?

it depends on how loud and how often you play, there is no set rule on that...

• Members

Ok so I just jammed through the amp at a loud volume in my home studio, I like it a lot for rhythm, the clean is ok but I'm struggling a bit with my lead tone, there is a high end "plinking" sound when I play fast alternate picking runs, it sounds as if I had my pickup too close to the strings, which I don't...

Is that the speaker issue you guys were talking about?? If so, I can definitely hear it.

• Members

yah that was my first though so I replaced the pre amp tubes with some tubes I had and know they're good (used them in other amps) and the plinks are still there.. I'm nit picking here but still

I am going to pop the back cover now and try some Celestions I have here

• Members

yah that was my first though so I replaced the pre amp tubes with some tubes I had and know they're good (used them in other amps) and the plinks are still there.. I'm nit picking here but still

I am going to pop the back cover now and try some Celestions I have here

Can you take a pic of the inside compartment where the speakers go?

• Members
Can you take a pic of the inside compartment where the speakers go?

too late I already closed it :( I will take one next time I open it up.

So the internal speakers are rated 8ohms and my V30s are 16ohms so I couldn't use them. But I also had a 8ohms Celestion G12-70M that came in a cab I bought a few days ago so I replaced one of the Sheffields with it. Instant improvement!! The lead tone is much more fluid and most of the high end plink is gone (there is still some of it there because one of the speaker still is the stock speaker). But the difference is night and day already.

So I am convinced that the stock Sheffields are {censored} and that this amp can be greatly improved with better speakers. I think I will leave the G12-70M there, it has a a looser bottom end and gives the amp a more vintage feel. For the other position I will probably get the V30 clone from WGS.

Archived