A Perfect Circle's Judith......just perfect.

Digital Jams

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The lyrics are solid. Maybe not the most inspiring or positive lyrics, but better than Soulja Boy.

Maynard is one of the best lyricist on the planet. He's a genius! But I don't like the songs where he sings negative about God! The song is about his mother (Judith) and her relationship with God. Where he criticizes God for Leaving his mother Paralyzed, even tho she has never abandoned her faith

"He did this

Took all you had and

Left you this way

Still you pray, you never stray

Never taste of the fruit

You never thought to question why

It's not like you killed someone

It's not like you drove a hateful spear into his side

Praise the one who left you

Broken down and paralyzed

He did it all for you

He did it all for you"

I love the riffs, the drums, the bass line, the vocal patterns. I just dislike the lyrics. But that's just me.

• Members

But I don't like the songs where he sings negative about God!

I felt the same way up until my 'philosophical upheaval' a while back.

Now I relate to the lyrics. He's attempting to 'shock' you into listening to how angry he is at the institutions that control humanity through guilt, fear, and ignorance. IMHO

• Members

Now I relate to the lyrics. He's attempting to 'shock' you into listening to how angry he is at the institutions that control humanity through guilt, fear, and ignorance. IMHO

Not to take this too far down the verboten "religion" path, but I agree with you here. I don't think that taking a look at the human element that goes along with the church/religion/faith is such a bad thing.

• Members

One of my friends in highschool was BIG into Jesus. He took me to youth group meetings and whatnot, went to ATF, PromiseKeepers, etc...

Mer De Noms came out my senior year, and I remember he LOVED Judith, until he actually LISTENED to the lyrics.

I found his Facebook page a while back, and now he lists himself as an Athiest. I think that's {censored}ing hilarious, because I have always been agnostic, and got crap about net believing. Now, he believes even LESS than I do.
I like to think that that album was the beginning of his spiritual awakening.

• Members

I felt the same way up until my 'philosophical upheaval' a while back.

Tool is my favorite rock band ever! I know he feels strongly about alot of different things, and that's his right. I wouldn't want him to censor himself at all. I just choose not to listen to the Blasphemous songs. I agree that alot of churches are into control and they make it look bad for Christians like me who only want to share the glory of God! I don't push it on anybody, you can't make someone believe in God. That's a heart decision.

• Members
Ace studio musicians

Ex- NIN live band members

Maynard

Nuff said, the song is extremely heavy, outstanding
advanced chord progressions
, and the chic bass player is more metal than 99% of this forum.

What a band should be, not what Clear Channel is ramming down everyone's throats.

:lol:

uh... ok.

• Members

Not to take this too far down the verboten "religion" path, but I agree with you here. I don't think that taking a look at the human element that goes along with the church/religion/faith is such a bad thing.

Yep. And if he buried the 'thought' in analogy, or allegory, or clever lyrical imagery... the message could be ignored. We wouldn't be discussing it. He sticks it out there like its the poopy-end of his pee-pee. You cant avoid it.

Yet, there are some downright GOOFY lyrics in modern metal. But it gets a pass, why?

• Members

I am not a bible thumper. All I said was that he is confused. And he is. If he understood, he would simply not talk about that kind of stuff. Instead, he sounds so ridiculously juvinile and ignorant. Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean you should go running around cursing it. Hetfield did the same thing with "The God that Failed." At least that was a bit more tasteful than Maynard's crap.

• Members

I am not a bible thumper. All I said was that he is confused. And he is. If he understood, he would simply not talk about that kind of stuff. Instead, he sounds so ridiculously juvinile and ignorant. Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean you should go running around cursing it. Hetfield did the same thing with "The God that Failed." At least that was a bit more tasteful than Maynard's crap.

Love the logic. So the only possible outcome of one "understanding" religion is to never criticize it? Interesting.

• Members
Kind of like when the death meatheads talk about how fast the drummers are and then flame shredders.....................:poke:
:cop:

Face it, they flame shredders because they play(ed) pink guitars, and banged chicks. How gay is that? :D

Any musician worth a damn, spends his off hours polishing tolex, drinking micro-brew, and ...i dunno, sacrificing lemurs. :confused:

• Members
No, not satanic. Just blasphemous.

Maynard is a very confused individual, clearly.

Great music, horrible lyrics just as stated before. Same thing goes for all of APC and Tool. If they could just put a muzzle on him...

WOW! just WOW! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Members

Love the logic. So the only possible outcome of one "understanding" religion is to never criticize it? Interesting.

No, that is not what I am saying. Well sort of I guess. Criticism doesn't take any effort or thought. Actually thinking about why his mom finds peace in God and understanding it does not lead to criticism.

When you get in an arguement with someone about faith, eventually you just let it go. Particularly when you want to remian friends with them. You don't write a song about it, put it on your album, and make the lyrics sound like a 12 yearold's logic.

Really, if you get down to it, Maynard is throwing his mother under the bus: "Why the hell would you listen and still believe in God, he never did anything good for you, he actually took everything away (just legs) blah blah blah."

• Members

AMAZING SONG. dRUMS ARE INSANE AND ONE OF THE BEST ROLLS IN METAL AT THE END WHEN THE SONG BUILDS.

I have my caps on. Did you notice?

Great feedback, great slide tone.

I used to play AND SING this song in a band back in the day. Singing and playing the solos at the same time.

Haha.

• Members

I agree that the thread needs more pics of the chick. I disagree with the preaching. I grew up Catholic so I understand all of "teach others" stuff but it drives me crazy when some Christians are always trying to "save" someone. You have a different opinion. That is it. Stop trying to "save" me because you disagree.

• Members
No, that is not what I am saying. Well sort of I guess. Criticism doesn't take any effort or thought. Actually thinking about why his mom finds peace in God and understanding it does not lead to criticism.

When you get in an arguement with someone about faith, eventually you just let it go. Particularly when you want to remian friends with them. You don't write a song about it, put it on your album, and make the lyrics sound like a 12 yearold's logic.

Really, if you get down to it, Maynard is throwing his mother under the bus: "Why the hell would you listen and still believe in God, he never did anything good for you, he actually took everything away (just legs) blah blah blah."

Man I hate this line but in this instance it fits:

You dont get it. :lol:

Archived