A Perfect Circle's Judith......just perfect.

Digital Jams

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's important to realize that it's not the job of anyone other than a sought out member of clergy or sought out friend to explain theology to any one person, to pity another because of his lack of knowledge of your theology, etc.

To even say that there is a singular common Christian theology is to be a liar at best. The truth is, while I'm not a huge fan of Maynard lyrically, this song is about his feelings about the God he sees through the worship and actions of others. Marshallnoise, you're only one step from the obnoxious proselytizer, though you may not realize it. Someone's assessment of religion and judgment of another's actions (in this case his mothers) stems from their own observations and conclusions. For some people, there is something incongruous about bad things in the world and God. For them, the next step of faith is not one they can make. Your pity is a value judgment, and one that is uncalled for and demeaning. They did not choose to believe as you because for them, there is some kind of barrier. For Maynard, in this song, the barrier he felt in that moment was facing the horrors of what happened to his mother, who, by his observations, was a pious, good woman.

• Members
Fixed.

I do believe injecting a dig without actually contributing anything to the conversation is the technical definition of a 'troll'.

Marshallnoise and I definitely do not agree but I find the differing perspectives far more engrossing then just people posting 'judish ftw buttsecks' and other such crap. I do not agree with him/her but the world would be pretty boring if everybody saw things the same way.

And yeah, after Vitter, Ted Haggard and a plethora of Catholic priests it does seem that the most evangelical have the most contradicting skeletons in their closet ;)

• Members

i've seen APC 6 times and have not once had an experience that was similar in any way.

on their first tour, when all they had was one album that was under an hour long, i don't know how they're supposed to play a long set, but whatever.

obviously YMMV

maybe just an off night then. this was after they had 2 albums out. they could have easily played 5 more solid songs, maybe even some covers.

• Members

The song's lyrics suck. Basically a few of us said we liked the music but hated the lyrics. The Maynard fan boys
pretty much apply an all or nothing mentality
that you can't separate the lyrics from the song and you have to like all of it. Then someone asks why a Christian might not like the lyrics. Then someone tells someone else they are blinded by their faith. I say that Maynard is confused because he simply doesn't understand why his mom is still a Christian. Yada yada yada.

...says the guy who can't like a song's lyrics because it defames God and calls the singer confused because he doesn't hold the same beliefs.

• Members
Paz Lenchantin. I always get her and Melissa Auf der Maur confused.

I met Paz when i saw her solo performance when I was in Memphis years ago. She's really nice, I talked with her for a while. This was after Thirteenth Step came out.

Oh yeah, and she IS super hot. The only barefoot performance that didn't make me cringe. :lol:

• Members

Jesus {censored}ing christ...I used to hate this song and really don't give a {censored} about this band, but since it is pissing off bible thumpers...I might just have to give it a second thought.

I have ALWAYS considered MJK's lyrics inspired (whether it's negative or positive is irrelevant). His insights and expression of said insights about the world the way he sees it are one of the few redeeming qualities of APC and Tool IMO.

There are a lot of tool fans and APC fans. I know their music is great to some. I don't care for it as much as I used to because it's just boring to me now. Production and guitar tones have always been good though. It's just not something I am interested anymore.

For the dude on the first page (could have been the OP) who said that this song wasn't jammed down your throat on a ClearChannel station...well, you are sadly mistaken. They played (and still do AFAIK) that song on heavy rotation when it was new. It's so radio friendly it's sick...funny that the lyrics don't really keep them from playing it :poke:

Archived