Dann Huff's 1991 rig

petejt

• Members

Is anyone familiar with his guitar rig around 1991?

I've only just discovered Giant, so please don't cop me :cop: .

I've found a couple of videos on YouTube that show Giant recording their album in the studio. It's very dated looking as shown by the late-80s style fashion with the jeans etc.

Anyway, the videos are really cool. It shows them recording together, then Dann does the solo overdubs, and also explains & demonstrates how to play them, even playing them at slower tempos. He's a champ for doing that :thu: .

Well, I can see his rig- two Peavey 5150s, and two Fender amp heads, sitting on top of two fridge-sized racks that have a few processors in them, and I think a Mesa/Boogie Studio preamp & VHT 5150 poweramp.

Does he run two sets of stereo rigs? Eg. the pair of Fenders in stereo for clean tones, and the pair of 5150s for gainy rhythm tones? Or is it a wet/dry/wet thing with two heads on left and right and the preamp-poweramp combo up the middle?

Or is the preamp-poweramp combo used for lower gain stuff, even though it's famously capable of extremely high gain and LOUD volume & articulated tight tone?

Also too, I noticed the 5150s were absent during the solo overdubs, and instead a Marshall Super Lead Plexi amp head.

Well here's the videos.

He's got some nice chorus effects too :love:

[YOUTUBE]uLCfxbd4LFY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]1yjlwcAFyu0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I was just recently listening to Lou Gramm's 'Long Hard Look' disc and was thinking how great Dan is on that disc.

It sounded to me like he was going direct with a Rockman type unit, but it doesn't matter what he used really. The tone worked great for the material he was playing.

• Members

For some reason I thought he only produced Cryptic Writings and Risk. And you couldn't possibly consider Risk one of your favorites.

I havent even heard Risk and Im a huge Megadeth fan. I'm pretty sure he did Youthanasia also.

EDIT: Max Norman did Youthanasia. I do think Cryptic Writings is by far the best produced 'deth album though.

• Members

I can tell that there is alot of studio processing, but I own a classic 50, and if I can get really close to some of what we can hear in the youtube vids, infact seeing his video has made me want to take it out and plug it into a splawn cab that I just bought

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Guys,

Thanks to Dave L for the namecheck. I'm a huge fan of Dann, and his approach to guitar playing has influenced me a great deal - especially his studio work. I haven't researched his gear to the nth degree, but I have picked up tidbits of info here and there over the years. Check out this page for a start: http://members.aol.com/guitarron/dannhuff/dannhuff.htm

This is the equipment list that he used in an instructional video in the early 90s, and was typical of the stuff he used as a AAA list LA session:

(2) Tyler Strats

(1) Gibson Les Paul

(1) Schecter Tele

(1) Vintage Fender Strat (looks reworked by Tyler?)

(2) Peavey 5150 heads

(2) Vintage Marshall heads

(2) Fender heads

(1) Bradshaw Switching System

The rack in the huff video is

Furman

Eventide

Spx 900

TC 1210

Tc EQ

Korg tuner

DBX compressor

Bradshaw switching RSB 18

Rane mixer

Juice Goose

Juice Extractor

Kasha Rockmod 1 preamp

Boogie studio preamp

Boogie power amp

VHT power amp

In the mid-nineties, Dann moved to Nashville, and quickly became a AAA list Nashville session. His gear evolved too, and a Matchless became a studio staple, alongside Peavy 5150s and Classic 50s. More lately he's been seen in the company of Two Rocks, H&K Triamps etc.

The only constant, if anything, in Dann's rigs has been an old Dynacomp and perhaps an old Tubescreamer.

But as Dann himself highlights, "Don't get to attached to your equipment. That's not what it's about. Personal style is more important. Equipment is great, but it's only good if it augments who you are, as opposed to controls who you are." As my username testifies, Dann Huff IS The Man! :cool:

Big smiles,

Andy.

Archived