Most Influential Book You've Ever Read...

JBecker

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To Kill A Mockingbird is a very very good book. I also enjoy shakespeare :o

The Essentials of Psycho Analysis by Freud also put a very new, fascinating spin on the way the mind works for me as well. Especially thoughts on Repression and the ego.

• Members

Very good book, but I found The End of Faith by Sam Harris to be more scholarly, and incredibly convincing.

Yes, very good and hard to argue with (if you aren't blinded by faith that is). Also, pick up "Letter to a Christian Nation" also by Sam Harris. It's a response to the crazy's that try to argue against his points.

Also check out "About Time" by Paul Davies. It's a laymen version of Einsteins theory of relativity and talks a bit about black holes and theories involving that.

• Members
Yes, very good and hard to argue with (if you aren't blinded by faith that is). Also, pick up "Letter to a Christian Nation" also by Sam Harris. It's a response to the crazy's that try to argue against his points.

Also check out "About Time" by Paul Davies. It's a laymen version of Einsteins theory of relativity and talks a bit about black holes and theories involving that.

I've been meaning to pick up those two, thanks :thu:

• Members

my short list of influential works, all fiction:

the dark tower (all 7), stephen king

animal farm

brave new world

ender's game

basically, every one of these books touched on bits of my personal philosophy. i guess, in a way they aren't influential because they only touched on what was already there, but they also helped me put a voice to certain thoughts and feelings i had yet to express.

• Members

Jean Paul Sartre : La Transcendance de l'Ego (I can't be arsed to look for the english name). Interestingly enough all the ideas that this book gave me were pretty different from what's said in it.

Friedrich Nietzsche : anything. I guess this is why I'm such a stubborn a**hole. :)

Mohandas Gandhi : Self biography. A very interesting read, gives you a very different picture of the "saint" of a man.

Stephen Hawking : A Brief History of Time

Machiavelli : The Prince

I'm sure there's more but it's 6 am here and I'll have to get to work.

• Members

I've only seen the movie, was it based off this book? If so, is the book much better? I'd really like to check it out.

Where the {censored} have you been?

And the movie... it was fine for fans for whom the story's holes are filled by their fond memories of the book and for whom Zooey Deschanel is awesome eye candy as Trillian.

Read all 5 books, they're HILARIOUS.

• Members

Where the {censored} have you been?

And the movie... it was fine for fans for whom the story's holes are filled by their fond memories of the book and for whom Zooey Deschanel is awesome eye candy as Trillian.

Read all 5 books, they're HILARIOUS.

Thank you, and I've been right here :confused:

• Members

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Anything by Vonnegut

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

1984 by Orwell

Farenheit 451 by Bradbury

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Anything by H.L. Mencken

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand