Ok, everyone explain les pauls to me...

Daniel Kamerman

• Members

So I'm thinking of getting a Gibby Les paul, but have no idea what all the differences between customs, standard, faded, etc. I've been a superstart player the whole 12 year of my playing.

First I should start off with what I play, I'm definitely into instrumental rock like Vai, Satch, Mattias Eklundh. I also love guitarists like Nuno Bettencourt, Paul Gilbert.

So I'm looking for a Gibby with an awesome lead tone, a bridge pup that can cover sounds like Guns n Roses, Tesla. I'm not too much into metal so I don't high output pups like EMGs. I also would want a very warm clean neck tone.

Gibson owners lend a hand? What should I be looking for? What year should I be looking for? Any to stay away from? And so on and so forth.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't like that head stocks, plus I've played a variety of Carvins and only their 7 strings tickle my fancy.

They have a variety of headstocks, and they have options that will make for a better guitar for the styles you listed - stainless steel jumbo frets, flatter radius, Floyd or Wilkinson trem... I can't imagine trying to play Vai or Satch on a stop tail boat necked tiny fretted Gibby, personally.

Maybe a PRS Singlecut or an ESP/LTD Eclipse?

• Members

They have a variety of headstocks, and they have options that will make for a better guitar for the styles you listed - stainless steel jumbo frets, flatter radius, Floyd or Wilkinson trem... I can't imagine trying to play Vai or Satch on a stop tail boat necked tiny fretted Gibby, personally.

PRS would be awesome I'm just not sure I wanna drop all the cash on one. I can't find any ones I like for under 2 grand.

I've gone through numerous ESPs already, kinda tired of em.

• Members

I've got an Eclipse. Nicest guitar i own. GREAT neck. And doesnt weigh 300lbs like the gibby's do (or cost as much).

I'd still love an LPC tho.

• Members

I wouldn't get a LP for the type of music you named. Especially if you want a full two octave range and at least decent upper fret access. I love my LP, but if I wanted to shred some seriously technical music, I'll pull out my Juggernaut.

If you are set on a LP, check out the new 2008 Standard. Gibson has really improved the new model Standard. The neck carve has been changed to a ssymetrical profile, the body features chambering for lighter weight, the electronics have been changed to a modular, board mounted type and they even added Grover locking tuners. Some great upgrades for a very old and basic design.

• Members

Just played my teachers '73 LPC today, holy {censored}! It was white, but it was alll aged, and the gold was wearing off, so much mojo, it played like butter. Find yourself a good used one, cheaper, and the older, the better quality

• Members

I do have an Ibanez Universe people! Which can cover all my shred/wank/whammy bar needs. I just wouldn't mind a Paul.

Just played my teachers '73 LPC today, holy {censored}! It was white, but it was alll aged, and the gold was wearing off, so much mojo, it played like butter. Find yourself a good used one, cheaper, and the older, the better quality

I heard the older gibsons were better quality. Never knew whether to believe the rumor or not. I would love a white one!

If you are set on a LP, check out the new 2008 Standard. Gibson has really improved the new model Standard. The neck carve has been changed to a ssymetrical profile, the body features chambering for lighter weight, the electronics have been changed to a modular, board mounted type and they even added Grover locking tuners. Some great upgrades for a very old and basic design.

Hopefully Guitar Center has a few new ones, only thing is I refuse to buy new. I'm gonna be hounding craigslist once I determine the paul for me.

• Members

I do have an Ibanez Universe people! Which can cover all my shred/wank/whammy bar needs. I just wouldn't mind a Paul.

I heard the older gibsons were better quality. Never knew whether to believe the rumor or not. I would love a white one!

Hopefully Guitar Center has a few new ones, only thing is I refuse to buy new. I'm gonna be hounding craigslist once I determine the paul for me.

The 08s aren't shipping until next month, I think.

• Members

The 08s aren't shipping until next month, I think.

So getting one used is out of the question, at least for a while.

I'll snap a pic next time my teacher has it. Aged white, I literally splooged. It sounded great, looked great, pretty much my dream guitar

That would be awesome!

• Members

Dude, I'll sell you my LP Custom silverburst for $48,000. That's just $1.00 for everytime I dreamed of having one for the last 20+ years. A great deal if you look at it that way. I'll even pay shipping.

• Members

i own a studio which i like a lot. it is not as pretty as the pricer models but plays the same imo. tonally, im not sure because the variance from guitar from guitar. i have tried some customs and standards and couldn't tell a hugh difference imo.

That's what I basically wanted to know, some prices are jacked way higher when it seems like almost the same guitar in my eyes. So playability wise, customs, standards, and studios are fairly on the same plane? Or is that just totally false?

• Members
Used for sure, I refuse to buy new, especially with my craigslist skills.

Cool. I would still go down to a guitar shop and try as many as I can. It doesn't matter what model has this or that. At the end of the day, you'll like what you'll like. For all we know, you may prefer a Studio over a higher priced Custom :idk:

• Members

VOS guitars are more expensive but they are all solid bodies (non chambered), they have a long neck tenon, real "man's man" les paul.

I am really looking forward to trying a 2008 Standard. Of course IMO a regular Les Paul Standard (which will be called the Les Paul Traditional) is a great guitar, but if you play ten there will be a couple that stand out as better guitars.

• Members
Cool. I would still go down to a guitar shop and try as many as I can. It doesn't matter what model has this or that. At the end of the day, you'll like what you'll like. For all we know, you may prefer a Studio over a higher priced Custom
:idk:

Yeah good call. I'll have to play a few and see.

Archived