Ok, everyone explain les pauls to me...

Daniel Kamerman

• Members

According to the rig in your sig it looks like you have the Vai / Satch equip covered.

For the other tones you were looking for I would suggest a Gibson LP Classic. The pups on the classic go from great Gibson warm tone to scream. I love the way the classic pushes my Mesa's clean channel into overdrive and how smooth it sounds on the lead channel.

The feel and look of my goldtop classic - got to love it! :love:

LP info:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/registry/index.php

http://www.allaboutguitars.info/

http://wiki.gibson.com/Gibson+USA+-+Electric+Guitars+-+Les+Paul.ashx

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i agree with going to a store and trying a studio, classic, standard and custom, if you can. its the only way for you to know for sure. keep in mind the necks on classics are slimmer. some standards also have the slimmer 60s neck. with gibson, i think you are paying a lot for the look of the prettier les pauls.

• Members
According to the rig in your sig it looks like you have the Vai / Satch equip covered.

For the other tones you were looking for I would suggest a Gibson LP Classic. The pups on the classic go from great Gibson warm tone to scream. I love the way the classic pushes my Mesa's clean channel into overdrive and how smooth it sounds on the lead channel.

The feel and look of my goldtop classic - got to love it!
:love:

LP info:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/registry/index.php

http://www.allaboutguitars.info/

http://wiki.gibson.com/Gibson+USA+-+Electric+Guitars+-+Les+Paul.ashx

Great info, thanks for the links!!! I'm gonna definitely give some a try!

• Members

If I were to gte an LP now it would e as old as I could find. I went looking at new ones a while ack and didn't theink the uild quality was any diferent than the Ianez artist sitting right eside them. If I'm going to pay that much for an axe, it etter be built like its priced.

unles the store I went to buys seconds and sells them as firsts :idk:

• Members

Every once in a while Meth Donkey will have a good point. I'll second the ESP Eclipse. I would also reccomend the these:

and these:

I was eyeballing these until I decided to make sure I get my Ibanez artist violin finish. The one that actually has the p/u and knob config of a LP

But he wants a LP

• Members

As much as I agree with Deathmonkey that the Carvin SC's are super sexy and play like buttered glass, nothing has the mojo of a real gibson. They're clunky, slow, painful, but have a ton of tone and mojo.

I really like my BFG. It's cheap (for a gibson), it's chambered, it's messy, it bites into my skin whenever I play it, but I can't put it down. The P90 in the neck is sexy to boot.

All I can say is go play a ton of them and get the one that YOU like. Don't bother looking for features, the right year, whatever. They're all different. You're just going to find exactly what you thought you wanted but it'll be a lemon.

Visit all the used guitar shops, take a trip to a big city if you live in BFE, whatever it takes.

-W

• Members

My Goldtop Les Paul Classic is the nicest guitar i've ever owned in 35 yrs of playing [someone might think i've had some really crappy guitars] i have but i've had some really GOOD ones too.I find with my Les Paul the simplistic nature of the design & features are what works for me,no double locking anything is an added plus[i loves me some floyds though]it's the same everytime i pick it up and play. The 490 & 500T pups were a little fuzzy/spongy for my taste i've got Seymour's 59neck & SH5 Custom bridge.A Gibson Les Paul has higher resale value than most cars,boats or planes, they are more than an instrument they are an investment that will only appreciate over time in value.....you'll never regret
owning one.It's the best 17 $100.00 dollar bills i've ever spent!!!!!:thu:

• Members

Try a Studio, then a Standard or Classic, then a Custom.

See what ya think!

I chose the Studio. Then bought a Classic , then finally a Custom AW.

Studio doesn't have all the cosmetics and detail work but it is a work horse. Classic or Standard are right along the same line. Custom is the Caddy of the line!

• Members

That's what I basically wanted to know, some prices are jacked way higher when it seems like almost the same guitar in my eyes. So playability wise, customs, standards, and studios are fairly on the same plane? Or is that just totally false?

Pretty much, but it changes year-to-year also. The neck shapes are different between different models some years and not others. The studio is sometimes just like other LPs without the fancy trim. Other times the studio is a light instrument that has a distinctively different tone. The scale lengths are the same. The neck width is always the same, I believe. It's just the neck shape, the specific woods, and electronics that change. (The electronics can be changed of course.) I'd play through a pile of 2nd hand ones and when you find one that's "the one", buy it if you can afford it at all. Of all the classic guitar styles out there, none of them are as varied as LPs in my experience...even other Gibsons.

• Members

I bought my VOS a few months ago, best guitar I've ever owned (I've owned close to 50 guitars, several LPs). Theres a video on Youtube about teh VOS series, its a Gibson Custom Shop guitar, made using the original spec from the late 50s or early 60s, superb quality and sound.

EDIT: Avoid the chambered LP's, just my opinion, but they arent LP's, there an empty shell of what should have been a LP.

• Members

The real deal with Les Pauls is that regardless of price or model, one of them will blow your socks off. It may be the dingy studio hanging in a pawn shop or the $4500 custom shop model, but you'll play a bunch that are just OK and then you'll find the one that absolutely kills everything else you've ever played.

BTW... Gibson pups suck balls unless they're the '57 classics. My Magic LP pup choice is a Dimarzio Air Norton (F-Spaced) in the bridge and a Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck. Tone and clarity for days.

• Members

i like the customs asethetically

but the new 2008 LP is probably is the best, supposedly it sustains even longer, has better weight balance, has laser precision mounted frets and has a laser computer setup action

just avoid the supreme, i heard bad thing, and when i played it, it didn't quite have the same vibe as the rest of the les pauls

• Members

Just played my teachers '73 LPC today, holy {censored}! It was white, but it was alll aged, and the gold was wearing off, so much mojo, it played like butter. Find yourself a good used one, cheaper, and the older, the better quality

Old LPC = Win.

• Members

I have a Studio which is simple looking and nice sounding (maybe a bit dark) but I tend to find it a bit weighty. Then, the other day, I tried a Custom... and that was weighty!!:eek:
I understand why, in the late 50ies Gibson started doing the SG and droped the LP... SG are a breeze to carry onstage with added upper fret acces and a sound not so different (less complex though).

• Members

Edwards are nice, better than Gibby is a stretch. I'll take my standard any day over the others including ESP. When you buy a Lester, take it to good tech and have it setup to your liking. Retail LP's can be all over the place. Especially at a GC store.

• Members

The 08s aren't shipping until next month, I think.

Are you serious? Why is that? I don't know anything about Gibson's shipping policies, but it seems odd to wait till half the calendar year is over to ship the '08 model.

Archived