Ok, everyone explain les pauls to me...

Daniel Kamerman

• Members

The new standards are out... I played a few of them at my local GC (atlanta) The pleked boards feel great, but the whole hollow les paul thing is kinda lame IMO. The new Traditional was sick, especially in Goldtop... mmmmm... I'd still go with something from the Art and Historic division.

Hmmm, I just checked Gibson's page and they say the new standard isn't out till Friday... but 2 weeks ago I was at GC when they pulled out some LP standards that had the "this guitar has been plek'd" sticker and weighed about 7-8 pounds. They also had the LP Traditionals...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a 2004 standard. put a dimarzio air zone in the bridge and i love it to death!
In fact i prefer it to my caparison horus hgs and I think we are inte the same kind of music..
There just is something about the les paul sound that you won't find anywhere else!

I also think that the gibson les paul is the most beautiful design there is!

003-1.jpg

• Members

Edwards are nice, better than Gibby is a stretch. I'll take my standard any day over the others including ESP. When you buy a Lester, take it to good tech and have it setup to your liking. Retail LP's can be all over the place. Especially at a GC store.

Takes into account price/performance.

Seriously -- $800 Edwards LP Custom versus $3500 Gibson LP Custom. Yes, the Gibson is a better guitar, but ask yourself, is it $2700 better?

• Members

They have a variety of headstocks, and they have options that will make for a better guitar for the styles you listed - stainless steel jumbo frets, flatter radius, Floyd or Wilkinson trem... I can't imagine trying to play Vai or Satch on a stop tail boat necked tiny fretted Gibby, personally.

Maybe a PRS Singlecut or an ESP/LTD Eclipse?

{censored}ing TR00TH. If I ever wanted another LP style guitar I'd most definitely be looking at Carvin.

But even still. I really don't like the sound of the neck pickup on LP's... it's too bassy. I love the warm balanced sound of SG's though!

Archived