OT:Tropic Thunder

IPlayMetronome

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
you're not very good at making teh kids.

That was retarded!:)

Calm down man, I work with "special needs" people myself. I hate the "d "word(disabled) I think the movie is actually refering to other actors that overblow their acting parts when portraying retarded people(i.e. Sean Penn-I Am Sam, etc.) and they were making fun of that more than retarded people. At least that's what I got out of it. Pretty funny movie and so was Pineapple Express.
2 good movies in one week. A rarity these days!:thu:

• Members

Sigh. Thought I was dealing with grown ups here. Some of you clearly are so I'll turn to that part of the room.

You're right about getting not getting violent. I was using hyperbole (sorry, suavedude, you'll need to look that one up). Of course, if I was going to get violent, I think my children make a damn good reason for it.

The fact is, I make great kids. My children are absolutely amazing. That's why demeaning them, even out of ignorance, is not acceptable.

I actually think that
Tropic Thunder
looks really funny. A much deeper level of humor than something like
Pineapple Express
. I probably will see it eventually.

Just because a particular epithet (another one for a few of you to look up) doesn't offend you personally, that doesn't make it OK.

I see where you're coming from,but retarded is not,as I read it,a derogatory epithet(hurray for vocabulary),it was used long before the term "Mentally Retarded" was used ,clinically speaking,to describe someone with limited comprehension or learning skills.It describes something as simple,primitive,impeded etc.

Considering there's no outcry for having a white actor in "blackface",lets get back to the comedy gold in question here

• Members
That was retarded!
:)

Calm down man, I work with "special needs" people myself. I hate the "d "word(disabled) I think the movie is actually refering to other actors that overblow their acting parts when portraying retarded people(i.e. Sean Penn-I Am Sam, etc.) and they were making fun of that more than retarded people. At least that's what I got out of it. Pretty funny movie and so was Pineapple Express.

2 good movies in one week. A rarity these days!
:thu:

This.

• Members

I have two children with special needs and they both ride the special needs bus to school every morning.

Call someone "retarded" in my presence and get ready for a fight. Say a joke about the "short bus" and be prepared for a trip to the hospital.

Try substituting the n-word every time you hear the r-word and then tell me how acceptable it is.

I'll think of something better to say later.

• Members

I have two children with special needs and they both ride the special needs bus to school every morning.

Call someone "retarded" in my presence and get ready for a fight. Say a joke about the "short bus" and be prepared for a trip to the hospital.

Try substituting the n-word every time you hear the r-word and then tell me how acceptable it is.

Lighten up, Francis.

• Members

Lighten up, Francis.

Basically, and I'll throw in a :facepalm:

No offense or anything, but what are the chances of having two mentally challenged kids? And for what its worth, you're going to have to do a lot of ass kicking once your kids get to middle and highschool.

• Members

Sigh. Thought I was dealing with grown ups here. Some of you clearly are so I'll turn to that part of the room.

You're right about getting not getting violent. I was using hyperbole (sorry, suavedude, you'll need to look that one up). Of course, if I was going to get violent, I think my children make a damn good reason for it.

The fact is, I make great kids. My children are absolutely amazing. That's why demeaning them, even out of ignorance, is not acceptable.

I actually think that
Tropic Thunder
looks really funny. A much deeper level of humor than something like
Pineapple Express
. I probably will see it eventually.

Just because a particular epithet (another one for a few of you to look up) doesn't offend you personally, that doesn't make it OK.

With your big words and big mind, maybe you should do some research about the uproar...Or better yet, go see the movie and see that while the term was used, the deeper meaning of what the movie is saying about celebrities and how out of touch that mentality is with the real world is the real issue at hand.

• Members

retarded or retard, are currently still accepted in the special needs treatment field.

• Members

retarded or retard, are currently still accepted in the special needs treatment field.

I would be very surprised to see any professional article, scientific or journalistic, use the term "retard" to describe anyone. Perhaps "retarded" (though I'm doubtful) but just straight up "retard" I would doubt.

• Members

Call someone "retarded" in my presence and get ready for a fight.
Say a joke about the "short bus" and be prepared for a trip to the hospital.

Lighten up, Francis.

Far more immature than calling people names, isnt it? Grow up.

BTW- The name of my former band was Small Bus Riders, what you gonna do about that?

Have you ever called a fat person a name? Anyone a name? Decided not to go out with a girl because of their looks? etc...etc...

If you can say no to all that, you are a liar. I you say yes, you're a hypocrite. You lose either way. Give it up. This country has free speech. If you dont like it,say something in rebuttal, dont threaten people. An animal at the lowest rung in the intelligence ladder can make that decision. However, it gets a free pass because he is operating on instinct, not free will and thought. What's your excuse?

As far as the n word: In the 70's, that word was said on sitcoms and shows like SNL. You know what? We were getting to the point where we could laugh at each other black, white, yellow, regardless. Richard Pryor took part in a sketch where he was called that. Carroll O' Connor said it a few times on all in the family. Guess what? There were black actors taking part with enough sense to know that it created a conversation, and usually the black character stuck it in their face through intelligence instead of censorship.

• Members
I would be very surprised to see any professional article, scientific or journalistic, use the term "retard" to describe anyone. Perhaps "retarded" (though I'm doubtful) but just straight up "retard" I would doubt.

youre more than welcome to spend a day with my ex at her job. she teaches mentally retarded children :thu:

Archived