OT:Tropic Thunder

IPlayMetronome

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have two children with special needs and they both ride the special needs bus to school every morning.

Call someone "retarded" in my presence and get ready for a fight. Say a joke about the "short bus" and be prepared for a trip to the hospital.

Try substituting the n-word every time you hear the r-word and then tell me how acceptable it is.

You are a tool. I was born severely {censored}ed up, not even able to walk or use my legs for that matter, but I find no problem with calling people as such. A person is born crippled, disabled, retarded or whatever you wanna call it. It is a crime when people ignore reality.

People wanna use "mentally handicapped," "special needs" or "physically different" in order soften what the situation that is at hand. Euphemisms just hide the facts. If you want to call me a cripple go ahead because I know I am. People that try to hide this reality are just weak and cannot take that they are not what is ideally acceptable. Move one, learn from it and do not dwell.

• Members
You are a tool. I was born severely {censored}ed up, not even able to walk or use my legs for that matter, but I find no problem with calling people as such. A person is born crippled, disabled, retarded or whatever you wanna call it. It is a crime when people ignore reality.

People wanna use "mentally handicapped," "special needs" or "physically different" in order soften what the situation that is at hand. Euphemisms just hide the facts. If you want to call me a cripple go ahead because I know I am. People that try to hide this reality are just weak and cannot take that they are not what is ideally acceptable. Move one, learn from it and do not dwell.

amen to that! i stutter and i hate when people try to act like they dont notice. i prefer it when my friends joke about it. it keeps things less awkward and less serious. granted, my stuttering is much better now then say in elementary and junior high (just graduation high school), but its just enough to make me completely want to avoid public and being around a lot of people i dont know. but i ignore the urge to freak out every time i have to give a speech (had to in front of my whole town at graduation, i only stuttered once :thu:), and now that im going to college with only 2 people i know at it, avoiding new people really isnt an option.

so basically, ive decided to embrace my stuttering and never let myself use it as an excuse for anything.

• Members
And she calls them "retards?"
:freak:
I'm all for freedom of speech, but there is such a thing as being professional.

nope, never said that. Bu the children are referred to as retarded. its in the DSM and everything. Calling some a retard with the intention of being hurtful is obviously wrong. Referring to a deficiency as retarded is accepted not only in this field but in many many different areas as mentioned a few posts up.

• Members
I dont know if you heard this:

I just saw on the news tonight, I dont know if its local or not, but there is an uproar and proposed boycott of the film because Stillers character is referred to as a retard about 17 times.

They even referred to it as the "r" word.
:rolleyes:

I guess now we cant call anyone fatso, schizo, psycho, beanpole...because they may get offended, too.

Its time for America to grow back its {censored}ing backbone.

That said, Im glad to see downey back, too. I hope he doesnt {censored} it up.

bant :cop:

:p;)

• Members
I have two children with special needs and they both ride the special needs bus to school every morning.

Call someone "retarded" in my presence and get ready for a fight. Say a joke about the "short bus" and be prepared for a trip to the hospital.

Try substituting the n-word every time you hear the r-word and then tell me how acceptable it is.

How many kids did you call retard, retarded, retards, ree-ree, or say they rode the short bus? :cop:

Hypocrite much? :cop:

And no I don't use the word retard or retarded normally myself as an adult, just like instead of hobo I say transient, though I will say a few people on here definitely spent plenty of mornings and afternoons on the short bus. :wave:

• Members

I would be very surprised to see any professional article, scientific or journalistic, use the term "retard" to describe anyone. Perhaps "retarded" (though I'm doubtful) but just straight up "retard" I would doubt.

So, your response implied pretty clearly that using the term "retard" to describe a mentally retarded person was accepted in the community, or more specifically that your ex used it. I don't think the intention of being hurtful has anything to do with it; the noun "retard" is an insult, not a clinical term. The term "retarded" or "mentally retarded" might be in the DSM but not "retard." At least I don't think so. Basically what I'm saying is that referring to the children as being retarded versus calling them retards are two very different things. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Members
:lol:

My name's Francis...but everyone calls me Psycho. Any of you ever call me Francis...and I'll kill ya.

Awesome Stripes reference
:thu:

Listen, I'm not crazy, and I don't need no psychiatrist, but if you ever tell anyone I was here, I'll {censored}in' kill ya...

"Leonard, it's ok, this is all confidential... no one has to know"

Then confidentially, I AM crazy, and I'll {censored}in' kill ya...

:cop::cop::cop::love::love::love::love:

• Members

I have to say that I agree. One of my legs is shorter than then other. I'm a gimp! Actually, I still play basketball with a few of my high school buddies. The other guy on my team has had a couple of ankle injuries. Well, to be honest, we think he's a {censored} about it but... Either way, we call ourselves team gimp. LOL

• Members

The term "mental retardation" is a diagnostic term designed to capture and standardize a group of disconnected categories of mental functioning such as "idiot", "imbecile", and "moron" derived from early IQ tests, which acquired pejorative connotations in popular discourse over time.

Do you get that? The categories of mental functioning were deemed offensive and replaced with Mentally Retarded. Now MR is considered offensive and it's being replaced with special needs.

Political Correctness FTL.

• Members

don't you people see it's a cycle? People will not change. Insults are only insults if you take them that way.

for example

if people continue label "retard" as un PC, people will just begin using other words in their stead. The new word will then begin to take on a negative connotation JUST like the old popular term ("retard" in this case) had

It happened in my high school, as we had a fairly large class (one of the only high schools spanning a few towns) of special needs kids.

All the kids who used "retard" as an insult, switched over to "delayed" and "re-re" to avoid teh teachers' Banhammer of Detention (:o)

So how long until "special needs" garners negative connotation, propelling it into "insult-fodder" territory?

We already have seen some examples since the PC movement started hitting hard ( i remember "you're special...just like the olympics" [etc] being a big one amongst the younger kids at the end of high school)

You can't just tell people "that word is now bad" because they will just replace it with another one. :rolleyes:

• Members
being a big one amongst the younger kids at the end of high school)

You can't just tell people "that word is now bad" because they will just replace it with another one.

Its only time before "special needs" and "mentally challenged" will be the new "retard"

We'll have to call downs syndrome sufferers "Extra Chromosome Americans"

and the others "enlightened individuals of slow thought processeses"

:lol:

• Members

...but that's exactly what I was saying:

So, your response implied pretty clearly that using the term "retard" to describe a mentally retarded person was accepted in the community, or more specifically that your ex used it. I don't think the intention of being hurtful has anything to do with it; the noun "retard" is an insult, not a clinical term. The term "retarded" or "mentally retarded" might be in the DSM but not "retard." At least I don't think so. Basically what I'm saying is that referring to the children as being retarded versus calling them retards are two very different things. Correct me if I'm wrong.

def not implied, and yes it is in the DSM.

Again, I am not saying that calling an individual a retard is accepted, but that retard is used (hint: its not just a noun or adjective)

• Members
amen to that! i stutter and i hate when people try to act like they dont notice. i prefer it when my friends joke about it. it keeps things less awkward and less serious. granted, my stuttering is much better now then say in elementary and junior high (just graduation high school), but its just enough to make me completely want to avoid public and being around a lot of people i dont know. but i ignore the urge to freak out every time i have to give a speech (had to in front of my whole town at graduation, i only stuttered once
:thu:
), and now that im going to college with only 2 people i know at it, avoiding new people really isnt an option.

so basically, ive decided to embrace my stuttering and never let myself use it as an excuse for anything.

Are you sure you and Boballica (?) haven't just accepted the level of cruelty and rudeness in our culture.

It is one thing to accept what you cannot change, it is quite another to embrace it.

Any language that disrespects someone for an accident of birth or anything outside of their personal control is ignorant and childish.

People who are mentally retarded are often very generous of spirit and a joy to know and be around. Their lack of complexity makes them guileless and trusting. I think while lacking a lot of our gifts they are blessed with a spiritual well being that we should all value and learn from.

Bob

• Members

being a big one amongst the younger kids at the end of high school)

You can't just tell people "that word is now bad" because they will just replace it with another one.

I hear what you are saying and I think you make a good point, but maybe you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Why don't we teach and support simple kindness and respect for all people. Why not teach that to disrespect anyone is not cool, and it demonstrates a certain lack of maturity and a warped sense of humor.

Richard Pryor was the greatest comic ever and I think, along with his timing and colorful words, it was because, most of his humor, was directed at making fun of himself and his own ethnic group. His comedy at the root was full of good cheer and joy and ultimately he celebrates his own humanity and the humanity of all of us.

Calling ourselves retarded is funny, calling someone else retarded is well......just retarded.

Archived