bigger bang for the $

pogoshoes

• Members

You got your pick of the litter for that kind of cash. For right around that amount, you could score a used JVM 410 combo, and those cover every tone under the sun. I got to sit down with a Supersonic a few weeks ago though, and I really liked it. Very versatile amp.

• Members

Traynor YCS50. Another great amp but costs significantly less than the supersonic. Or if you wanna go used there's tonnes out there like other have said. Traynor gives you a 2 year unlimited warranty and it sounds very good.

This is the correct answer. I sold my Supersonic and kept the Traynor.

• Members

I don't have any personal experience with the Traynor or SuperSonic, but based on much experience with them I recommend getting an old Carvin X100B for around $400 and a tubescreamer to boost it. The cleans are very, very good, and the gain kicks @ss when boosted.

I haven't seen almost any combos around within the last year or so, though, and would've bought the one listed in the spam thread recently if I'd have seen it in time. :(

• Members

SupeSon's sound great, a bit reedy for my liking, but for rock, blues and such, it's great! Sound killer with a big fat LP.

But yeah for the price, you could do a lot of different amp's with that sound for less.... maybe graba couple amps for that much if you hunt hard enough...

-Curtis

• Members
I don't have any personal experience with the Traynor or SuperSonic, but based on much experience with them I recommend getting an old Carvin X100B for around $400 and a tubescreamer to boost it. The cleans are very, very good, and the gain kicks @ss when boosted.

I haven't seen almost any combos around within the last year or so, though, and would've bought the one listed in the spam thread recently if I'd have seen it in time.
:(

I had one from around 1990. The only good thing, if you can call it that, that I can say about it is that it was loud. I know these are popular right now, but I don't get it.

• Members
I'm thinkng of getting a 112 Fender Supersonic.It retails for around $1200.00. Can anyone suggest a bigger bang for the buck in a similar style amp?

thanks

dee

:facepalm:

Get a used MKIV Mesa/Boogie, or just about ANYTHING else, besides the Super Sonic. YUK

• Members

the supersonic completely lacks any upper end and just lacks vibrance and bite

turning up the presence and treble doesn't help the supersonic

fender should just stick to making great guitars and clean amps, the only decent hi-gain amp amp made by fender is the 5150III, but give Eddie and not fender credit for that, fender just gets the profits from it

id say the biggest bang especially for the buck is a used 5150, half the price of a supersonic

• Members

One of the things you hear often about the Supersonics is they leave the factory with the bias way off. If you have one that sounds awful, that's the first thing to check. It's possible Fender made some changes too, because I don't see how descriptions of the amp's sound could vary so much.

Archived