3rd Vox Blew up. Need cheap and reliable amp for cover band.

wheresgrant3

• Members

The last 7-8 years I've had some interesting amp setups. For a while I was looking for the holy grail, but these days I'll suffice for something that meets my minimum needs and makes it through a gig. I've just had my third Vox Valvetronics bite the dust (bad solder point) in 13 months. The first one caught fire and the second crackled one month after I received it. I need just a simple setup that is road worthy... and the Vox is furthest from that statement.

I play both keyboards and guitar in an 80's Tribute and truth is, I don't play all that much guitar. Just rhythm on certain songs and one or two leads. But our lead guitarist does all of the heavy lifting... I just fill in the blanks.

Over the years I owed a number of different amps...

2000-2002

Peavey 5150- Liked it but sold b/c lack of a dedicated clean.

2002-2006

Peavey XXX- Long affair with this amp. Solid, reliable... sounded nice and chunky on the backline. Hated mic'ing it and it weighed 80's lbs with a case. Plus I had to lug an effects board on top of 3-4 synths. So I replaced it with a...

Line 6 POD XT Live direct... I figured small, easy to program. In the FOH it sound alright, but on stage through monitors it was awful.... and loud (since I had no backline for it). Sold it and bought a Vetta

Line 6 Vetta-Bought it used and out of 150 amp sims I like 3-4. Honestly it was waaaaay to complicated to setup and it would sometimes flake on me at gigs. I assume that power consumption made it's interface a little jittery at times. Traded it for a guitar and bought...

2007-2008

Two Vox AD60VTX- What I thought was a perfect setup. I could use one in the backline when stage space was limited, or use two in stereo. Unfortunately the only thing in stereo was their repeated suckage. Both amps failed miserably while on the road.

So I'm looking for a cheap replacement to the Vox amps. Something to tied me over until I can get some money scrapped together for a new setup or sell these miserable amps. Truth is I need 3 channels... one clean, one dirty and one extremely dirty to cover everything. It would be great if it had built in reverb... even if it sucks. It has to be road worthy and fairly light (cuz I have tons of gear to transport).

I have a 2x12 genz benz cab... so I can go with a head, although I'll consider a 2x12 combo if it makes sense. $500 is my limit but I'd consider the new Spider Valves. Anyone gig with them? I can't justify any more than $500 because my gear gets totally trashed over time. Any suggestions please swing them this way.

• Members

^^^ but DSL's aren't known for being the most solid Marshalls around.

See attachment, amp took a dive and "drank the cup" (the tent was lifted by the wind). Still work and sound amazing 3 years later, on the same preamp tubes.

I'm not sure a digital amp would've liked being treated this way ;)

That is also why I now "travel light", especially for outdoor gigs.

• Members

See attachment, amp took a dive and "drank the cup" (the tent was lifted by the wind). Still work and sound amazing 3 years later, on the same preamp tubes.

I'm not sure a digital amp would've liked being treated this way
;)

That is also why I now "travel light", especially for outdoor gigs.

Yeah, people who talk about the DSL series like that just don't know. At most in that situation you are going to have to replace a jack or something...that is it. Built solid if you ask me.

• Members
The last 7-8 years I've had some interesting amp setups. For a while I was looking for the holy grail, but these days I'll suffice for something that meets my minimum needs and makes it through a gig. I've just had my third Vox Valvetronics bite the dust (bad solder point) in 13 months. The first one caught fire and the second crackled one month after I received it. I need just a simple setup that is road worthy... and the Vox is furthest from that statement.

I play both keyboards and guitar in an 80's Tribute and truth is, I don't play all that much guitar. Just rhythm on certain songs and one or two leads. But our lead guitarist does all of the heavy lifting... I just fill in the blanks.

Over the years I owed a number of different amps...

2000-2002

Peavey 5150- Liked it but sold b/c lack of a dedicated clean.

2002-2006

Peavey XXX- Long affair with this amp. Solid, reliable... sounded nice and chunky on the backline. Hated mic'ing it and it weighed 80's lbs with a case. Plus I had to lug an effects board on top of 3-4 synths. So I replaced it with a...

Line 6 POD XT Live direct... I figured small, easy to program. In the FOH it sound alright, but on stage through monitors it was awful.... and loud (since I had no backline for it). Sold it and bought a Vetta

Line 6 Vetta-Bought it used and out of 150 amp sims I like 3-4. Honestly it was waaaaay to complicated to setup and it would sometimes flake on me at gigs. I assume that power consumption made it's interface a little jittery at times. Traded it for a guitar and bought...

2007-2008

Two Vox AD60VTX- What I thought was a perfect setup. I could use one in the backline when stage space was limited, or use two in stereo. Unfortunately the only thing in stereo was their repeated suckage. Both amps failed miserably while on the road.

So I'm looking for a cheap replacement to the Vox amps. Something to tied me over until I can get some money scrapped together for a new setup or sell these miserable amps. Truth is I need 3 channels... one clean, one dirty and one extremely dirty to cover everything. It would be great if it had built in reverb... even if it sucks. It has to be road worthy and fairly light (cuz I have tons of gear to transport).

I have a 2x12 genz benz cab... so I can go with a head, although I'll consider a 2x12 combo if it makes sense. $500 is my limit but I'd consider the new Spider Valves. Anyone gig with them? I can't justify any more than $500 because my gear gets totally trashed over time. Any suggestions please swing them this way.

That's odd. My three Valvetronix have been rock solid for over three years of 100+ gigs/yearly. And they get beat and tossed around every weekend.

• Members

Why not run direct into your keyboard amps. You can pickup a line 6 podXT live or Vox Valvetronix floorboard. Then you don't have to haul an amp, plus you can get stereo since you are using two keyboard amps....

Your post should probably get some award for making the most sense ever.

I think you might have meant Vox Tonelab (SE or (more likely) LE).

• Members

That's odd. My three Valvetronix have been rock solid for over three years of 100+ gigs/yearly. And they get beat and tossed around every weekend.

Yours no doubt were built in Korea... the older production line. Mine were built in Vietnam. I bought my first from AMS last July (07')when they were blowing them out for $499. The first amp caught fire on stage right out of the box... blew the transformer started smoking out the top vents right after I switched on the power. AMS swapped a replacement. Then in December the jack problems started. It started with my first, then second amp. Our lead guitarist also had one and the same problem.... I'm currently petitioning Vox to fix all three out of warranty.

These are known problems with this amp. Appearantly Vox moved production from Korea to Vietnam to save money. There have been massive QC problems ever since. It's one of the reasons why they discontinuted the series. They couldn't produce the amp and find that balance between quality and price. If you were following this last summer Zzounds and AMS both had a ton of refurbs for sale as well. No doubt returns like mine that malfunctioned out of the box. The Vietnam production amps just aren't gig worthy.

• Members

Why not run direct into your keyboard amps. You can pickup a line 6 podXT live or Vox Valvetronix floorboard. Then you don't have to haul an amp, plus you can get stereo since you are using two keyboard amps....

Well I tried that. I use two 10" 50 watt keyboard wedges form my keys... the effect was like playing guitar through an AM radio. In addition losing the guitar from the backline posed some mixing challenges FOH. Since my other bandmates use IEM's and we have no floor monitors my guitar would disappear unless you were standing directly in the speaker path. For small venues this was fine... but larger venues my guitar would disappear in the ambient mix behind the bass and kick.

• Members

If you liked the vox, get a cheap tool set and a soldering iron.

You're going to need it for anything under $500 anyway

I gigged over 4 years and over 400 gigs with my XXX and never did I experience so much a s a crackle. Once I let the tubes go for a good 1 1/2 years before I replaced them. I beat the ever living {censored} out of that amp... and like a tank it always powered up and performed flawlessly.

After having three amps with the same exact problem even after I fix them I will never trust them on the road again. This weekend was a classic example... after have 3 amps sidelined already (one replaced, and two sitting idle with the same issue) I brought the one 'working' amp with us on Saturday. At sound check I hear static and the signal breaking up... I bang my fist on top of the amp and it 'corrects itself. Then two minutes later it repeats. So I swap it out and play the rest of the gig using a Crate PowerBlock and a GB 2X12 hating every minute of it. I know exactly what is causing it... speaker vibration and poor soldering points.

Even if I get them fixed I will never take them on the road again.

• Members

Well I tried that. I use two 10" 50 watt keyboard wedges form my keys... the effect was like playing guitar through an AM radio. In addition losing the guitar from the backline posed some mixing challenges FOH. Since my other bandmates use IEM's and we have no floor monitors my guitar would disappear unless you were standing directly in the speaker path. For small venues this was fine... but larger venues my guitar would disappear in the ambient mix behind the bass and kick.

I'll be honest with you...if it "sounds like AM radio" either you are doing something wrong (most likely) or your pa downright sucks balls.

Yes...H-CAF hates modellers/running direct.....but it CAN be done. And you said you don;t play the guitar much. So you must ject do some rhythm parts....so the magical hi-gain lead tone that coever 95% of H-CAF doesn't fall in your realm.

You don't say what piece of gear you used to run direct. But...you can do it. You'll have to tweak the gear properly. The exact amount of gain....correct EQ...the right cab/mic/speaker sim (depending on the gear).

If you are really asking for good advice...take this one. Like anything else...you HAVE to do it right. IF youneed more help/advice ASK!

I'm serious! Do yourself the favor and lets get you dialed in.

• Members

I'll be honest with you...if it "sounds like AM radio" either you are doing something wrong (most likely) or your pa downright sucks balls.

Yes...H-CAF hates modellers/running direct.....but it CAN be done. And you said you don;t play the guitar much. So you must ject do some rhythm parts....so the magical hi-gain lead tone that coever 95% of H-CAF doesn't fall in your realm.

You don't say what piece of gear you used to run direct. But...you can do it. You'll have to tweak the gear properly. The exact amount of gain....correct EQ...the right cab/mic/speaker sim (depending on the gear).

If you are really asking for good advice...take this one. Like anything else...you HAVE to do it right. IF youneed more help/advice ASK!

I'm serious! Do yourself the favor and lets get you dialed in.

My bad... the FOH signal was fine... what I heard on stage through my 50 watt keys amps was not. Our PA is setup is killer... all Yorkville Elite powered gear with Allen & Heath mixer. My band members use Sennhieser IEM's... I use floor wedges because I switch instruments all night long.

I had tried the XT Live setup, running direct to the FOH and monitoring myself through stage monitors or my 50 watt keyboard wedge amps. Ever try a direct floorboard and monitoring your guitar through 50 watt powered 10" speakers? It's not exactly 'brown sound' is it? I'm not saying it couldn't be done... it just didn't work for me. I can get away playing keys with a {censored}ty monitor mix... but guitar, for articulation and attack and sustain... 'it' just needs to be there. If it's not then I'm hating 'it' all night long, which is no fun.

I play keys vs guitar 60% to 40%.

• Members

Here's a clip I did of "Purple Rain".

This clip was recorded in possibly the worst conditions. In a storage/workshop industrial unit we converted...some carpet, foam...a cheap PA. A few mics thrown up and using the board to direct a few channels into the D1200. Rhythm guitar player using a GT6 direct...he's also the lead singer and keyboard player. I'm using my Tonelab SE direct.

We' re relying on a decent personal mix (via our processors/PA-monitors)...a good board mix...a good DI to the D1200 12-tracks. Mixed...uploaded downloaded, comverted, uploaded...downloaded to you...

Well you get the idea.

Here:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=22191

So if something like that isn't imaginable as doable to you...then yeah...you'll have to spend a bunch of money and still maybe be not happy.

• Members

Traynor are great! and you have a two year (even if you break it!
:cop:
) transferable warranty which is great... and they dont cost that much...

3 channels (2 channel and boost on distortion)... reverb... it's just exactly what you're looking for:thu:

And Traynor is made by Yorkville I believe (which immediately gets a thumbs up from me). I'll check it out... I've heard great things about them... especially the clean.. which might be a consideration if I ever want to add a digital modeler floorboard (again) to my setup.

That's what I'm looking for... something basic that can handle three types of gig situations. Loud nightclubs, scaled back private parties and more mormal weddings. The Vox was a perfect choice... however in the end the reliability just wasn't there.

Thanks. :thu:

• Members

buy another XXX head.

Looking back I regret selling that head.... but I don't regret transporting it. The head, case and cab was way too heavy a setup for the club situations we play when you factor all of my gear. I had mine loaded with EL34's and man did it growl! And all I had to do was roll off the volume and I had a a differen't sounding tone. And the Effects Loop made a great volume boost for leads. If it weighed 20lbs I'd consider... but 65lbs is just a deal breaker.

Archived