i'm an incredibly dispassionate 18 year old college student looking for advice

sftsyh

• Members

over the past few months, i've been severely conflicted regarding the path that i want to take in my life and its relation to the path that i'm actually on. i don't value anything that i'm supposed to. i feel completely disconnected from the things that i'm supposed to be close to, like i have almost zero feeling for anyone or anything. people my age are supposed to be ecstatic when they start college, but i am far from being enthusaistic about it. it's not like i'm focusing on being negative, either. i'm always opening myself to new experiences, and i'm fully prepared for the trials and tribulations of higher education. i know that by going through the process, i'll be making myself a mentally and emotionally stronger person, except my heart just simply is not in it.. at all. i feel like i'm only here to socialize, and i'm putting myself in ridiculous amounts of debt in doing so (not to mention that i get roughly 43% of the social experience because i'm living off campus and commuting by train and so are most of the students here, it's like high school). my university and most others offer a very boring selection of programs, and none of them peak even a small percentage of interest in me. i'm supposedly a "very intelligent young man", but the idea of getting a degree, finding a high paying job and jacking myself off in a pool of materialism like my parents and the majority of society wants me to is so unappealing to me. i feel like i'm being forced to travel a road that will take me so far from where i want to be, and i'm doing so disguised as someone that i'm not.

my passion, literally the only thing that makes me feel, is music. i'm a humanitarian at heart, and i know that my purpose definitely lies in creating music. i feel that i can say more, do more, reach more people, and live a fulfilling life much more easily through that avenue, rather than say a degree in biology followed by med school and years of being a doctor. i'm a guitarist who spends hours and hours every day composing and practicing, growing as much as i can. i'm interested in every aspect of music as an expressive art form. i had been thinking thinking about majoring in music at my school, but the thought of that utterly disgusts me. practically speaking, i'd be {censored}ing myself if i were to commit to majoring in music anyway for the simple reason that i'm self taught; i know absolutely zero classical standards (which i'd need to choose 3 to play for my audition), possess limited theoretical knowledge, and i can't sight read from sheet music unless i'm playing piano, which i'm not very proficient with. they are more interested in training a bunch sight reading orchestra drones and jazz theory nerds, adhering to strict classical form rather than encouraging any sort of creativity. i spoke to two music performance majors there who were guitarists and pianists and they were completely unhappy. they are way too classically focused and way too formal, and apparently don't seem to want to really help musicians grow as musicians. it's definitely not for me. i really can't see myself mixing art and education, i don't think it would be fulfilling being the kind of person that i am. not to mention the fact that after i graduate, my degree will be worth next to nothing.

growing up with a single mother, one of the biggest values she taught me was to always follow my intuition. i've always been very connected to my feelings and emotions. the hilarious thing that i've learned about her is that now that i'm able to make my own decisions and think independently, my intuition is only good enough to follow if it fits in with her system of values and ideals. my stepdad is the exact same way, so that statement applies to him as well. now, i'm a very logical and rational person. i know they mean the best, i'm not a typical faggot 18 year old who's just like "lol {censored} my parents bro theyre so gay they dont understand me lol". no, they're looking out for my future. i appreciate that. all they want is to make sure that i make decisions that will ultimately have a positive effect on me as a person. they want me to build a strong foundation for a good life. however, we have very contrasting ideas of what a "good" life is. that contrast in ideas stems from a difference in values, again. so the real question is, what can i do to build that foundation that i will need if i decide to leave school? will i live in my car and perform at bars like the stereotypical starving musician? will i continue to work at my $8.25/hr job at UPS while living at home and being a burden on my parents while i hone my musical talent? will i sign my life away to the marines for that tasty GI bill? what are my options here? i'm seriously lost and i have no guidance.

• Members

over the past few months, i've been severely conflicted regarding the path that i want to take in my life and its relation to the path that i'm actually on. i don't value anything that i'm supposed to. i feel completely disconnected from the things that i'm supposed to be close to, like i have almost zero feeling for anyone or anything. people my age are supposed to be ecstatic when they start college, but i am far from being enthusaistic about it. it's not like i'm focusing on being negative, either. i'm always opening myself to new experiences, and i'm fully prepared for the trials and tribulations of higher education. i know that by going through the process, i'll be making myself a mentally and emotionally stronger person, except my heart just simply is not in it.. at all. i feel like i'm only here to socialize, and i'm putting myself in ridiculous amounts of debt in doing so (not to mention that i get roughly 43% of the social experience because i'm living off campus and commuting by train and so are most of the students here, it's like high school). my university and most others offer a very boring selection of programs, and none of them peak even a small percentage of interest in me. i'm supposedly a "very intelligent young man", but the idea of getting a degree, finding a high paying job and jacking myself off in a pool of materialism like my parents and the majority of society wants me to is so unappealing to me. i feel like i'm being forced to travel a road that will take me so far from where i want to be, and i'm doing so disguised as someone that i'm not.

my passion, literally the only thing that makes me feel, is music. i'm a humanitarian at heart, and i know that my purpose definitely lies in creating music. i feel that i can say more, do more, reach more people, and live a fulfilling life much more easily through that avenue, rather than say a degree in biology followed by med school and years of being a doctor. i'm a guitarist who spends hours and hours every day composing and practicing, growing as much as i can. i'm interested in every aspect of music as an expressive art form. i had been thinking thinking about majoring in music at my school, but the thought of that utterly disgusts me. practically speaking, i'd be {censored}ing myself if i were to commit to majoring in music anyway for the simple reason that i'm self taught; i know absolutely zero classical standards (which i'd need to choose 3 to play for my audition), possess limited theoretical knowledge, and i can't sight read from sheet music unless i'm playing piano, which i'm not very proficient with. they are more interested in training a bunch sight reading orchestra drones and jazz theory nerds, adhering to strict classical form rather than encouraging any sort of creativity. i spoke to two music performance majors there who were guitarists and pianists and they were completely unhappy. they are way too classically focused and way too formal, and apparently don't seem to want to really help musicians grow as musicians. it's definitely not for me. i really can't see myself mixing art and education, i don't think it would be fulfilling being the kind of person that i am. not to mention the fact that after i graduate, my degree will be worth next to nothing.

growing up with a single mother, one of the biggest values she taught me was to always follow my intuition. i've always been very connected to my feelings and emotions. the hilarious thing that i've learned about her is that now that i'm able to make my own decisions and think independently, my intuition is only good enough to follow if it fits in with her system of values and ideals. my stepdad is the exact same way, so that statement applies to him as well. now, i'm a very logical and rational person. i know they mean the best, i'm not a typical faggot 18 year old who's just like "lol {censored} my parents bro theyre so gay they dont understand me lol". no, they're looking out for my future. i appreciate that. all they want is to make sure that i make decisions that will ultimately have a positive effect on me as a person. they want me to build a strong foundation for a good life. however, we have very contrasting ideas of what a "good" life is. that contrast in ideas stems from a difference in values, again. so the real question is, what can i do to build that foundation that i will need if i decide to leave school? will i live in my car and perform at bars like the stereotypical starving musician? will i continue to work at my $8.25/hr job at UPS while living at home and being a burden on my parents while i hone my musical talent? will i sign my life away to the marines for that tasty GI bill? what are my options here? i'm seriously lost and i have no guidance.

should not have posted that here :facepalm:

edit: here is some help. Stop being a bitch (I mean that in the nicest way) stay in school and get your degree, play music in your free time, and when you get that degree and steady income, ROCK THE {censored} OUT.

So lets recap:

1: school

2: degree

3: profit

4: :rawk:

• Members

At age 12 I was convinced it was my destiny to be a world famous musician. By age 17 and right out of high school I was on the road all over the USA. Flash forward to age 34 I am opening an insurance agency in a town I don't want to live in but have no choice. Moral? Get the degree, then go {censored} off on the road and give it your best. If nothing else, you will have the degree to back you up.

• Members
should not have posted that here
:facepalm:

edit: here is some help. Stop being a bitch (I mean that in the nicest way) stay in school and get your degree, play music in your free time, and when you get that degree and steady income, ROCK THE {censored} OUT.

So lets recap:

1: school

2: degree

3: profit

4:
:rawk:

This is good advice.

In my experience, you are never going to know what you want to do or where you exactly what you want to be. Life has a way of defining your direction and only you can define how you respond to it.

Besides, you are 18. 18 = a kid.

• Members

seriously ur prob just stressed out, no one wants to goto school u just do. realize that there are thousands and thousands of artists, bands etc out there and that droppin outta school is just stupid, even more stupid than thinkin youll make it big in music without an education.

GOTO SCHOOL STOP BEING A BITCH AND FOCUS SO U HAVE A JOB TO BUY GEAR AND HAVE SOMETHING TO FALL BACK ON IF U EVER DO BECOME SUCCESSFUL :cop:

• Members

At age 12 I was convinced it was my destiny to be a world famous musician. By age 17 and right out of high school I was on the road all over the USA. Flash forward to age 34 I am opening an insurance agency in a town I don't want to live in but have no choice. Moral? Get the degree, then go {censored} off on the road and give it your best. If nothing else, you will have the degree to back you up.

This. And steady income = Nice gear/Teh ToAnz

• Members

suck it up, you arent a unique and beautiful snowflake, I've heard this same speech from at least 3 of my friends already "oooh music is my life, its all I wanna do...etc...etc..."..... and you may want to give enthusiasm a try, or youre gonna end up in your mid 20's and realise all the fun you missed out on.....

you may not want to surround yourself in materialism now, but I can assure you, poverty is neither fun, nor romantic, and its less amusing when youre 40, making $10/hour.... get a degree, get a job, that way you can support yourself and do whatever you want.....

• Members
seriously ur prob just stressed out, no one wants to goto school u just do. realize that there are thousands and thousands of artists, bands etc out there and that droppin outta school is just stupid, even more stupid than thinkin youll make it big in music without an education.

GOTO SCHOOL STOP BEING A BITCH AND FOCUS SO U HAVE A JOB TO BUY GEAR AND HAVE SOMETHING TO FALL BACK ON IF U EVER DO BECOME SUCCESSFUL
:cop:

We love you Nitrous :love:

• Members

Personally, I think you should take some time off from college. If you're not completely committed to med school, it will be a waste of your time. I went to college right out of high school, {censored}ed around, failed some classes, went part time, {censored}ed around some more, and then finally took a semester off and just worked.

There's nothing quite like NOT GOING to school to make you figure out what you really want out of life.

I ended up wasting a lot of time and money because I didn't take the time to figure out what I wanted and focus on getting it. When I went back to school, I realized WHY I was there and was able to focus on getting it in a way that I never could have before.

• Members

Sounds like you're just now facing the harsh reality of life for most people: It sucks and takes hard work.

If you're able to comfortably support yourself doing something you love without it becoming a "chore", consider yourself extremely lucky. But noodling around on your guitar in your bedroom probably isn't going to get you there.

Having said that, you should be able to find something that is at least somewhat appealing to you, but you do have to "suck it up" to some extent. Pretty much anything worth while you do will have unpleasant aspects that you have to work through, it builds character ;)

• Members
suck it up, you arent a unique and beautiful snowflake, I've heard this same speech from at least 3 of my friends already "oooh music is my life, its all I wanna do...etc...etc..."..... and you may want to give enthusiasm a try, or youre gonna end up in your mid 20's and realise all the fun you missed out on.....

you may not want to surround yourself in materialism now, but I can assure you, poverty is neither fun, nor romantic, and its less amusing when youre 40, making $10/hour.... get a degree, get a job, that way you can support yourself and do whatever you want.....

yeah, i know what you mean. :(

• Members

Stay. In. School.

Believe me, I have heard a ton of people say how much they regret not getting a degree, but I have never heard anyone that regrets getting a degree.

As a Freshman this year, I can say that what you are feeling is normal, especially for someone that is commuting, which personally I feel is the bitch way to go to college, and honestly is not going to give you the full experience. I am at a 4 year university in the center of Boston, and I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. It's been great. I say work your ass off now, suck it up, transfer to a real school and get a good job out of school. Then you have a backup plan.

Take it or leave it.

Archived