6505: massive volume drop

sombersoul

• Members

Last week my 6505 was fine, today I could almost get no sound out of it. I can turn up the master on the lead channel to 5 (!) or beyond, and I still only get bedroom volume at best. The clean channel is even less audible. No big increase in volume even with the master volumes dimed.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Replacing the preamp tubes one by one: no effect

- Replacing all the preamp tubes at once: no effect

- Replacing the (new!) JJ power tubes: no effect

- Trying various speaker cables, cabinets: no effect

I've used the search function, yes. So I'm sure that the "dirty F/X loop" problem will come up. I'm not sure if it's relevant in my case. I do use the loop regularly. However, I keep the cables plugged in at all times (even when the loop is not used). So, theoretically, there is no way for dust to enter the jacks. What I haven't tried yet: connecting send to return with a short patch cable.

Reading up at FJA's forum I also learnt about a possibly burnt ribbon cable. I'm not sure how to check this, though.

Any ideas of what else it could be? Probably I'm going to have to carry the amp to a tech. This would suck, since I have some gigs in October and the subsequent months. I had hoped to be able to solve this problem myself. Maybe there's something I've overlooked? Input very welcome and appreciated. :)

• Members

The only way to check for burnt ribbon cable would be to pull the chassis out and open it up. Don't touch anything, you don't need to get shocked, but, you can also look and see if there's a bad solder joint in there, or see if anything else burnt

• Members

Last week my 6505 was fine, today I could almost get no sound out of it. I can turn up the master on the lead channel to 5 (!) or beyond, and I still only get bedroom volume at best. The clean channel is even less audible. No big increase in volume even with the master volumes dimed.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- Replacing the preamp tubes one by one: no effect

- Replacing all the preamp tubes at once: no effect

- Replacing the (new!) JJ power tubes: no effect

- Trying various speaker cables, cabinets: no effect

I've used the search function, yes. So I'm sure that the "dirty F/X loop" problem will come up. I'm not sure if it's relevant in my case. I do use the loop regularly. However, I keep the cables plugged in at all times (even when the loop is not used). So, theoretically, there is no way for dust to enter the jacks. What I haven't tried yet: connecting send to return with a short patch cable.

Reading up at FJA's forum I also learnt about a possibly burnt ribbon cable. I'm not sure how to check this, though.

Any ideas of what else it could be? Probably I'm going to have to carry the amp to a tech. This would suck, since I have some gigs in October and the subsequent months. I had hoped to be able to solve this problem myself. Maybe there's something I've overlooked? Input very welcome and appreciated.
:)

Have you tried different speaker cables and a different cab? Just to make sure it is the amp and not a bad speaker cable or cab connection.

Also is there any unusual smells in the amp? Do the tubes all glow in a normal way etc... Have you checked all your fuses?

A volume drop suggest a power drop of some kind. Good luck finding out what is causing it.

• Members

Yeah, I used different speaker cables and cabinets. That's not the problem. The sound comes out from both channels - clean and distorted. It even sounds more or less okay. Only that the volume is way too low and won't increase. All the tubes glow like they always do.

I probably won't dig any deeper into the amp than I have to. Other than changing tubes I have no experience.

By the way, is this possibly somehow a warranty case? Mine should still be valid. I have the five years extension, and I bought the amp in 2004.

Thanks for the replies so far! Very much appreciated. :)

• Members

Sure, call the Peavey customer service. They are very good about trying to solve your problems. Ask to speak to the repair/ parts dept. They may even honor the warranty. Cant hurt to call them. I had to replace a Capacitor in a very old Peavey bass amp from like 1972. They turned the place over looking for one for me.

• Members

Talk to Peavey's reapir/parts dept.

They are really nice. I told them whats going on, and how I didn't fill out my warranty card. But the guy was really nice and he registered it for me even though I bought the amp in 05'. Thats GREAT customer service in my eyes.

Yeah Purity, I'm still playing in Forging the Ballshammer. But it seems like that band is about to implode.

Archived