Lets have some Synth HAtE

Cap'n Ahole

• Members
Bump. Bodom = fail. Ozzy = fail. Synths = win. Discuss.
:o

Early Dream Theater with great melodies and atmosphere = win. Newer Dream Theater with ragtime breakdowns and over the top keyboard shred wankery = fail.

Two cases made for and against the efficacy of the synthesizer in metal.

• Members

Yeah; that didn't sound right. :freak: I love synth intros like the intro to Fly Like an Eagle and was into how Styx and Rush used them until close to the mid-'80s and then felt like the synths just took over for the most part. I like keys for a bit of atmosphere when it comes to rock and metal but can definitely get into classical piano playing or jazz keys, etc...

• Members

I'm a keyboardist, so you'll get no unbridled synth hate here. :o

Metal bands seem to fail at synth as often as not, though. Keyboard shredders who sound like they're playing an 8-bit NES FTL.

Opeth has pretty snazzy keyboard work- though that's all traditional sounds- piano, B3, Rhodes, Mellotron- as does (did? I don't follow these bands anymore) Amorphis, Moonspell, Dark Tranquillity, Fear Factory...

For killer and appropriate synth use, check out Soilwork's
The Chainheart Machine.

That's a very tasteful and understated use of synth on what's pretty much a straight-up death-thrash album. :thu:

• Members

IMO, Nocturnus used synths about as good as it gets in heavy guitar driven music..

Besides the great intros, he managed to lay down some perfect synth lines.. HE was alwasy changing his sound and fitting into to the music seamlessly.
[YOUTUBE]b57XNGfR_mI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

and my favorite "Droid Sector"..

[YOUTUBE]RY7gHR3RsnU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Yeah; that didn't sound right.
:freak:
I love synth intros like the intro to Fly Like an Eagle and was into how Styx and Rush used them until close to the mid-'80s and then felt like the synths just took over for the most part. I like keys for a bit of atmosphere when it comes to rock and metal but can definitely get into classical piano playing or jazz keys, etc...

Im with you 100% on that.

I sometimes jam with this guy that plays really tasty keys... gets a great Rhodes electric sound as well as some Hammond stuff. :thu:
& I agree, keys can be well done even in metal!

However, I got this hatewagon goin, & I aint jumpin off!! :mad::lol:

Archived