Is there any amp out there that is NOT 'pedal friendly'?

david k

• Members

UUUUSUALLY when people say "takes pedals well" they're talking about pedals in front

as for loops, they vary in quality.

Best loop ive heard (BY FARRRR) is the one you find in VHTs..absolutely PRISTINE. (and I run a lot of Fx..synth etc without having a full range system, so a REALLY GOOD loop is very important to me)

Next IMO is ENGL...they have some nice transparent loops

the worst I've tried: 5150...good lord.. noisiest, {censored}tiest thing ever.

Love the metal tones..but the loop was a complete mess

• Members

I had a JerryP modded 5150 that was tits, but when I put a G-Major in the loop, it literally cut the balls of that amp, sauteed them in olive oil, garlic and rosemary, and served them to me on a hoagie.

• Members

Hey now...

I know you're just joking but that amp is a really decent version of the 800. Nobody I know who's heard one walked away saying "that sucks".
:cop:

yes, I've heard they are actually decent amps. Kerry King still sucks though.

• Members

Even though I've never run anything in the loop of my 6505 without an ISP Decimator on I think it sounds good. Maybe the ISP makes a big difference? :idk:

• Members

Even though I've never run anything in the loop of my 6505 without an ISP Decimator on I think it sounds good. Maybe the ISP makes a big difference?
:idk:

possibly...I think I had more issues with the G-major tonesucking then the actual loop of the 5150.

• Members

are there any amp builders out there that'd confirm this?

i have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with impedances-- whereas if you have an amp that's a cathode follower structured preamp, you lose a lotta control over your use of the volume on your guit because the amp wants to see a certain amount of voltage on the input. my mesa's like that.. you kinda have to have it full bore to not lose ALL of your top end.

i'm figuring that something that operates in that context can be downright 'pedal unfriendly'.. and i think it's a common high gain strategy to use cathode followers...

just a hunch..

• Members

are there any amp builders out there that'd confirm this?

i have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with impedances-- whereas if you have an amp that's a cathode follower structured preamp, you lose a lotta control over your use of the volume on your guit because the amp wants to see a certain amount of voltage on the input. my mesa's like that.. you kinda have to have it full bore to not lose ALL of your top end.

i'm figuring that something that operates in that context can be downright 'pedal unfriendly'.. and i think it's a common high gain strategy to use cathode followers...

just a hunch..

Probably 95% of the amps out there use a cathode follower somewhere. In Rectos, it drives the tone stack, just like in Marshalls, Soldanos, and VHTs. The 5150, Mesa Mark-series, Fenders, and Splawns (from what I've been told) drive the tone stack from the plate, but still use a cathode follower to drive the FX loop.

I don't really think the presence of a CF has much to do whether or not an amp is "pedal friendly".

Archived