What makes a Great Lyricist?

kennychaffin

• Members

The 'Favorite lyricist' thread got me thinking (uh oh!). What is it that makes a great lyricist.

Writing lyrics/songs that are popular?

Lyrics that connect with a majority of listeners?

Lyrics that are highly personal?

Writing #1 songs?

Writing songs that are covered by many bands/artists?

What do you think?

KAC

• Members

songs that touch you with a truth that needs to be spoken, stated in a creative and artful way

if you can write those, you're a great lyricist

Hes a one trick pony

One trick is all that horse can do

He does one trick only

Its the principal source of his revenue

And when he steps into the spotlight

You can feel the heat of his heart

Come rising through

See how he dances

See how he loops from side to side

See how he prances

The way his hooves just seem to glide

Hes just a one trick pony (thats all he is)

But he turns that trick with pride

(there's so much meaning packed in there at so many levels it's scary)

• Members

If you can convey your feelings without blatantly stating them in the lyrics then to me you are a good lyricist.

And being able to create perfect pictures if you are telling a story. Or at least enough of a picture to make the listener/reader understand the point of the story.

• Moderators

Right away my mind goes to guys that were just lyricists.

Hal David

Ira Gershwin

Bernie Taupin

All of the above sidestepped the "important lyric" syndrome and focused on words that rode on the back of a melody well. They resonated, but in isolation, away from the music, not so much. What made them great lyricists? A foot light sense. The ability to see things from an audience perspective. To understand that their work was specifically destined to be married to music.

If I think of specifics I'll post back.

• Members

Isn't "Great" dependent upon the intended direction? I mean, great HIT songs are inside that HIT SONG FRAMEWORK, but great could also mean memorable or catchy or meaningfull and NOT really making it a HIT song

Do you mean "Successful" at touching people's hearts and souls, or making a lot of money?

• Moderators

Isn't "Great" dependent upon the intended direction? I mean, great HIT songs are inside that HIT SONG FRAMEWORK, but great could also mean memorable or catchy or meaningfull and NOT really making it a HIT song

Do you mean "Successful" at touching people's hearts and souls, or making a lot of money?

Great as in great. I think we'd all agree great isn't always a hit. So who's great to you?

• Members

You tell me. :) That's exactly the question. What do you think makes a great LYRIC (not SONG :) ) writer?

KAC

• Members

Gotcha. um, well, since I'm doing pop music, the "Great" ones make successfull hits with strong descriptive words in a short time frame and touch your heart with a story. I have no idea who writes them, I just hear them on the radio. The best stories I've ever are in country songs*. I guess I can't drop names, I just know if it sucks me in and sticks in my head

*and, personally, I'm not a fan of country but it is a great study in lyrics

• Members

a good lyricist is someone who writes poetry, then adds in music.

I think a good songwriter doesn't try to stretch one basic subject out into a radio-friendly song with several repetative parts,

but packs as much as they can into the time they have.

Also, I don't think that truly talented lyricists controll when they are able to write a song. I know that if I sit down and try to write something, it comes out like {censored}. But if I suddenly feel inspired, what comes out is new and original (and pretty good in my opinion)

Finally, I don't think popularity should factor into whether a song is good or not. Theres a real chance that you could write something that is fantastic, but goes right over the head of the masses.

• Members

If you can convey your feelings without blatantly stating them in the lyrics then to me you are a good lyricist.

agreed. I think lyrics need to be at least slightly puzzling to be interesting. If they're puzzling then the listener has to figure out what they mean. And make them interesting, in terms of words.... use words that aren't used often, evade cliches.

• Members

i think a great lyricist is defined by their ability to really open up. people *know* when something feels genuine or when it's fabricated for musical purposes.

being so personal in songwriting can be a bit scary though; letting all those people read your intimate feelings. i have only done it on a couple of occasions and i tend to keep those songs away from people unless i feel really close to them.

other things that encompass greatness of course is the ability to craft a tune from a bunch of words, putting together a melody that people will remember... but i think greatness begins at the core - the words as they are on paper when the song is just a set of bones.

• Members

To me, the thing that sets it apart is that greatness lasts. What are the songs (or books, or movies) coming out today that will still be considered good in twenty years time? Not necessarily the biggest hits. Maybe even ones we've never heard. Maybe even songs posted on some message board in the corner of the internet will one day be considered the greatest ever.

Or maybe not.

Archived