Want to "tame the gain" on Peavey XXX

InnerVision

• Members

What's a good tube to tame down the gain? Do I just need one ____ in the V2 and/orV3 & 3 standard 12ax7's in the rest, or Do I need two ____ for V2/V3 and two standard 12ax7's??

I still want a high gain amp, but I don't want it to sound like a chainsaw when I turn the gain knob on 2..I wanna be able to have a better range of distortion & want it to become "chainsaw" like when it's dimed.

Also...Which preamp tubs are which in the amp (V1, V2, etc..)???

• Members

Find the tube that is the first gain stage and try a Jan Ge 5751

gotta say, after seeing a few guys talking about it on here, I tried it on a couple blistering gain amps, and I really liked the results. 12AT7 tend to sound a little brittle to me in gain stages or V1, but I like how the 5751 sounds great and achieves the same results.

• Members

It honestly won't make a hell of a lot of difference I don't imagine. Maybe a little but I'd just roll off the gain. Lower your pickups more. Something. Sometimes if your pickups are to high it can have that real dirty sound and you back them off and it doesn't.

• Members

5751 in v1. Make sure you get the JAN, its the best sounding tube i've ever heard, just so... perfect... warm and chimey and fat and awesome and beautiful. Its the only tube i hear a big difference with when comparing other tubes.

Anwyays, typicall 12ax7's have a gain factor of 100. 5751's have a factor of 70. Will make a small perceivable difference, but it will make your gain knob much more usable. Very subtle, but very awesome. A 12at7 has a factor of 60, which i feel is too low.

• Members

gotta say, after seeing a few guys talking about it on here, I tried it on a couple blistering gain amps, and I really liked the results. 12AT7 tend to sound a little brittle to me in gain stages or V1, but I like how the 5751 sounds great and achieves the same results.

Oh did I mention how creamy sounding the Jan Ge is :lol::)

• Members

Lol..You've must never played through an xxx...It goes from no gain (0) to Massive amounts of gain (1-10).

Nah, you're thinking of the 5150/6505 and it's volume taper... :p

Seriously though, it's not that fast, halfway is full saturation though and I'm using X2Ns. The secret to the Triple XXX's gain is using low gain pickups, it drops the gain on tap by quite a bit to give more range, single coils do well in this respect as well.(the M-III's coil tapping abilities 4 teh win)

OP refer to the Triple XXX Lounge thread started by Sordid1 some years ago, it should be going strong and has loads of information and opinions about what you're inquiring. With that said, my personal choice is a JJ ECC832(12DW7) in V2 to lower the gain. It's half a 12AX7 and half a 12AU7 in one preamp tube and sounds more "natural" than a 12AT7 in lowering the gain on the Triple XXX IMHO.

• Members

I still want a high gain amp, but I don't want it to sound like a chainsaw when I turn the gain knob on 2..I wanna be able to have a better range of distortion & want it to become "chainsaw" like when it's dimed.

Have a tech (or yourself if you know your way around a schematic and a soldering iron) change the 150k plate resistor at R7 out for a 100k(1/2 watt). The higher the plate resistor value the more distortion it introduces into the circuit. The 150k resistor used is a peavey favorite for the ultra series while 100k resistors are the resistors of choice for many of the old favorite marshalls. This will reduce distortion in the gain stages but you when cranked it will still have that chainsaw sound just more refined.

If you can do this yourself this is $2 mod.

• Members

I have a 333 not a XXX. However the 333 is supposedly a direct rip off of it so heres what I did.

V1 Tung Sol 5751 (though I think any brand would be good)

V2 Tung Sol 12AX7

V3 JJ 12AX7

PI JAN 12AT7

I now run with my TS-808 clean boosting always even on the clean channels.

This is how I was able to get the gain under control on mine.

I tried a 12AT7 in the V1 and its too thin/trebly/cold sounding when compared to a 5751.

However in the PI its great and has allowed me to run the master a bit higher.

• Members

thread hijack....

I have a 5150 ii I have been tube swapping. i put a 12at7 in V1 and V6. V1 according to FJA's tube layout is shared by both channels and V6 is used exclusively by the rhythm channel. I have noticed that things are cleaner and cleaner but there is an anemic bite to the 12at7s. would the 5751 clear some of that problem up or would it bump the gain back up too far? I am trying to run the rhythm channel as clean channel (Yes....I know; already had that lecture :p)

would this be worth investigating to those of you who run the 5751 tubes?

thanks in advance

john

• Members

thread hijack....

I have a 5150 ii I have been tube swapping. i put a 12at7 in V1 and V6. V1 according to FJA's tube layout is shared by both channels and V6 is used exclusively by the rhythm channel. I have noticed that things are cleaner and cleaner but there is an anemic bite to the 12at7s. would the 5751 clear some of that problem up or would it bump the gain back up too far? I am trying to run the rhythm channel as clean channel (Yes....I know; already had that lecture
:p
)

would this be worth investigating to those of you who run the 5751 tubes?

thanks in advance

john

yes, the JAN 5751 will fix your problem, and make you think "why didnt i do this earlier"

Archived