AxeFX Going Software. I LOVE IT.

Elric

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Will I buy it? It really depends on the price. If it's $1000, then hell no. A real AxeFX is a better idea at that point for only $800 more. If it's more like $500-$600, then maybe.

This, i don't see the point of having a pc software if you can have the real thing that can do the same but can be used to gig everywhere with no need of a PC or Mac :confused:

• Members
I don't imagine anything would drive the prices on the hardware units down until he's able to ramp up production and cut costs on components through price breaks on bigger quantities and whatnot. He's said somewhere in one of the threads that there's little margin as it is in the Axe-FX. So even if he did start to make some savings per unit in the cost, he might choose to just take the profit to start with until more significant cost reductions start happening (which, depending on what he actually is making per unit, might be entirely reasonable considering the amount of work that must have gone into it).

He's in a bit of a different position to say, Line 6, with their already big customer base, big production quantities, and cheap offshore manufacturing.

I meant the used price :o

• Members
I meant the used price
:o

Oh I see. :o

Even still, I'm not sure that it really would anyway. I don't imagine people with a hardware Axe would start selling up to buy the software instead. And they're sorta different beasts... I'd rather a rack Axe than having software, if only for the latency issue. But on top of that, I've got no laptop so I'd have to drag around a full desktop PC and monitor 'n' {censored} to use it. Even with a laptop, you're still carrying around a computer, an interface, and a MIDI switcher to use it live. I'd rather go hardware and have a small rack setup and if at home I want the benefits of the software like simple reamping 'n' whatnot, I'll sort that out myself.

So either demand has to go down, or supply has to go up.. and given the above, I'm not really sure if either of those would happen to a significant degree. :o

• Members
Oh I see.

Even still, I'm not sure that it really would anyway. I don't imagine people with a hardware Axe would start selling up to buy the software instead. And they're sorta different beasts... I'd rather a rack Axe than having software, if only for the latency issue. But on top of that, I've got no laptop so I'd have to drag around a full desktop PC and monitor 'n' {censored} to use it. Even with a laptop, you're still carrying around a computer, an interface, and a MIDI switcher to use it live. I'd rather go hardware and have a small rack setup and if at home I want the benefits of the software like simple reamping 'n' whatnot, I'll sort that out myself.

So either demand has to go down, or supply has to go up.. and given the above, I'm not really sure if either of those would happen to a significant degree.

The demand for used Axefx will go down, due to the option of getting the same tones from the software at a lower price.

There is a big community of software modeler users, and not everyone needs/wants to gig with it.

• Members
sounds good but doesnt the axe-fx have fairly decent processing power?

I would imagine it would take a bit of strain on the pc's cpu and thats not including other plug ins running at the same time
:idk:

It turns out that modern CPU's (like Intel's Core2Duo) is many times faster than whats in the Axe FX. So it should run fine on a modern computer.

• Members

It turns out that modern CPU's (like Intel's Core2Duo) is many times faster than whats in the Axe FX. So it should run fine on a modern computer.

That's where I'm not so sure. I have AT2 and a Core2Duo PC with 2gigs RAM, and I can get some chocking if I run 2 instances of AT2, and this is with just the amp running, without effects.

From what I've read, the AxeFX algorythms are far more complicated. Good thing he'll release a demo version.

• Members

Modern PC's are easily fast enough. The problem is the quality of sound cards, or builtin audio chips. They are usually teh suck, and nowhere near the quality needed for this.

So you would probably need to buy a low latency good quality sound card to really benefit the software AXE-FX. Just like with other similar stuff like Amplitube etc.

• Members

It's not that simple. The Axe-Fx CPU is dedicated to DSP operations whereas the typical PC processor is meant for lots of different tasks so while the clock is a lot higher, it isn't necessarily that much faster. Kind of the same deal as GPUs vs CPUs. Even then I don't see processing power being a problem.

I truly hope that Fractal Audio will come up with a more sensible protection scheme so people don't have to have several audio interfaces floating around. The way I see it, those who download the program illegally would not buy the software in the first place.

• Members

It's not that simple. The Axe-Fx CPU is dedicated to DSP operations whereas the typical PC processor is meant for lots of different tasks so while the clock is a lot higher, it isn't necessarily that much faster. Kind of the same deal as GPUs vs CPUs. Even then I don't see processing power being a problem.

I truly hope that Fractal Audio will come up with a more sensible protection scheme so people don't have to have several audio interfaces floating around. The way I see it, those who download the program illegally would not buy the software in the first place.

I think Slashdot had a recent debate about the ridiculous amount of time spent trying to protect software from the same people who are going to crack it and download it for free anyway.

Those who are going to buy it would buy it whether or not it was on a torrent tracker.

That being said, this sounds all well and good but I have little faith in computer modeling programs having the kind of no latency, no hassel I'd need. I'm recording retarded and computer savvy. Until a good setup can run these kinds of program without hassel, it seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Then again, I guess that depends on the software cost versus hardware cost here.

• Members

That being said, this sounds all well and good but I have little faith in computer modeling programs having the kind of no latency, no hassel I'd need. I'm recording retarded and computer savvy. Until a good setup can run these kinds of program without hassel, it seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Then again, I guess that depends on the software cost versus hardware cost here.

FWIW, my home noodling setup is all software, now. It's running on a decent but nowhere near outrageously configured PC, and I get no latency/issues. Really, once the latency thing was solved for me, it was done.

So, now that the framework (PC/OS/Interface) is setup this once, I can switch between a bunch of different systems if need be: Revalver, POD Farm, Amplitube without screwing around with any hardware. No new box to hook/unhook if I want to get a new one or demo something, etc. No squatting down by the rack case, squinting, trying to dial something in on some arbitrarily different but still inadequate LCD "GUI", etc.

And any software "unit" can be run into one another, etc, with no cables none of that {censored}.

If you are not using it live, the software stuff's ease of use and malleability is awesome. You can switch paradigms in an instant.

It's great really. Like a whole new world. I agree the configuring of stuff is more painful than it needs to be at this point, but it's not THAT bad and certainly not undoable for someone who's "computer savvy"... and it's a one time thing. Once it's setup, like a I said, its pretty incredible and you can completely switch vendors/products in a second or combine them as necessary.

As the quality goes up on these things, it's getting more and more worth that initial setup cost. Revalver is the best modeler I've heard to date but woefully unknown and now with the AxeFX coming into it and Peavey backing Revalver, this stuff may start to get some of the credibility it deserves. It's certainly a great development for us players.

• Members

On the topic, I wonder how pissed will those people be who already have the current version of AXE-FX for purely home playing without a power amp AND a modern PC...

I don't see where would be the problem. They already bought their dedicated unit to do it. And honestly, after working with amplitube2 for a bit, I think the dedicated unit is a far more stable and reliable solution.

• Members

I don't see where would be the problem. They already bought their dedicated unit to do it. And honestly, after working with amplitube2 for a bit, I think the dedicated unit is a far more stable and reliable solution.

And far more versatil and easy to carry around

• Members
The demand for used Axefx will go down, due to the option of getting the same tones from the software at a lower price.

There is a big community of software modeler users, and not everyone needs/wants to gig with it.

True, not everyone wants to gig with it. But then, demand might go up as everyone downloads the demo and goes "{censored}, why haven't I heard of this {censored} before?!", and some go for the software and some decide they'd rather go hardware. I'm guessing the software users won't just be Axe-FX users switching over; the overall user base is likely to grow. :cop:

I guess a lot of it depends on how much it will cost. But then there's always gonna be people like me, who'd rather spend the extra money regardless, to get a dedicated hardware unit with no latency to deal with, no having to sort out some kind of mobile computer set up if I wanted to make it portable, etc. Plus, for recording purposes, I've got enough {censored} running already, I'd rather not be adding the CPU strain of 4+ Axe plugins on top of everything else.

• Members
On the topic, I wonder how pissed will those people be who already have the current version of AXE-FX for purely home playing without a power amp AND a modern PC...

I dunno. I guess it depends on the person's situation and the pricing for the software stuff. I'd be bummed if I dropped $2K on an Ultra just for home studio use and then found out I could have gotten the whole thing for 1/4 that. I wouldn't be pissed because I understand how technology evolves and I'd want to see the company to continue to develop their code/algortihms, though.

Fractal is going to offer discounts on the software system to hardware owners, too. Given that you have to buy their interface to make it all work I would not be surprised if a fully loaded setup for this still clocked in near a grand, anyway. :freak:

Although, as a non-professional player with a really good disposable income, I'd be much more likely to actually buy it for say around $500 (assuming it actually lives up to within 80% of its hype here). Which is what the hardware versions of the X3 Live, GT-10, and GSP1101 all street for...

• Members
True, not everyone wants to gig with it. But then, demand might go up as everyone downloads the demo and goes "{censored}, why haven't I heard of this {censored} before?!", and some go for the software and some decide they'd rather go hardware. I'm guessing the software users won't just be Axe-FX users switching over; the overall user base is likely to grow.
:cop:

I guess a lot of it depends on how much it will cost. But then there's always gonna be people like me, who'd rather spend the extra money regardless, to get a dedicated hardware unit with no latency to deal with, no having to sort out some kind of mobile computer set up if I wanted to make it portable, etc. Plus, for recording purposes, I've got enough {censored} running already, I'd rather not be adding the CPU strain of 4+ Axe plugins on top of everything else.

yeah you're right...demand for all things Fractal will go up when everyone can try the demo. Most of us cant just order one and try it that way.

• Members
yeah you're right...demand for all things Fractal will go up when everyone can try the demo. Most of us cant just order one and try it that way.

It's probably a good thing I can't just go down to a local guitar shop and try out an Axe-FX, or I'd no doubt have just put an Ultra on the credit card. :o

When it's just clips and people raving about it on the internet, I can hold out a bit longer it seems.

This demo is gonna be my downfall though. :cry:

• Members

Why a USB interface? Doesn't USB have the most latency? Wouldn't Firewire or PCI be better?

I wonder if there will be some kind of deal for people who already own the Axe-FX and would like to have the software on their PC...

Um, Apple deep sixed firewire, so it's now a legacy hardware (even if it is better). Look for USB 3.0 on all the next gen stuff.

As for a usb dongle. . . read his thread, he wants to have the quality so that means the good converters. The {censored} you get from m-audio and prosonus aren't going to be in that quality range. Unless you have Apogee interfaces (which cost about 2 grand for anything beyond the little duet), then you won't get the whole experience. Might as well stick with amplitude.

-W

• Members

My thoughts.

Anyone interested in this AxeFX VST.. is probably not new to the VST guitar processing world.

You all know of, for example.. Revalver, GuitarRig, Amplitube--etc.

and you all know that you can chain up any amount of VSTs (as many as your VST host or DAW -whatever) that you want.....

Right?

What I've been doing actually.. is using Revalver for my distortion tones..and within Revalver loading up GuitarRig (for effects) and then if I wanted some other effects that I really wanted that guitar rig couldn't give me I'd just find some other VST for what I was looking for.

I use all sorts of manglers (ohmboyz etc), reverbs (sirs etc), delays (dubstation etc), loopers (loopy llama :love:), filters, trems, modifiers, yadda yadda yadda.

So, my question is.. really.. what can axeFX give to me.. that I don't already have that I can't do in spades... ?

Archived