AxeFX Going Software. I LOVE IT.

Elric

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hardware locks and dongles have not prevented the theft of MUCH more expensive software than this, so I highly doubt this thing is going to be pirate proof. Not one company has ever been able to do it yet.

Will I buy it? It really depends on the price. If it's $1000, then hell no. A real AxeFX is a better idea at that point for only $800 more. If it's more like $500-$600, then maybe.

About the demo...I'm pretty disappointed to hear that it will only run for a few minutes at a time. How are we suppose to tweak something this complex to see if we like it in a matter of minutes? Demos sell products...I hope Cliff takes note. Crippling a demo to only run a few minutes at a time would be a huge mistake for this kind of software IMO. Something like a beep every 30 seconds would be better...like what Revalver does.

• Members

FWIW, based on Cliff's posting on the Fractal site, the software will require purchase/connection of the AxeFX hardware interface (whether it is used or not and each one will be keyed/serialed). The interface is your hardware key. It's exactly like the Line 6 Gear Box VST in that regard and the Line 6 Guitar port/Tone Port series. (Ironically, Line 6 just announced an iLok version of the newest VST POD Farm last month and has already released the L6 interface as dongle version).

Fact is, piracy happens with software. Basically, you try to make your pricing/policies fair and have a non-intrusive scheme for deterring casual copying. Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Line 6, and Peavey have all managed to make money in this space. Given Fractal's track record, I'd be surprised if they weren't able to make a big splash in spite of the inevitable fact that some people pirate stuff.

As near as I can tell the Line 6/Gearbox stuff has not been pirated at anywhere near the frequency of GR3/Amplitube, et al. Of course I don't follow the peer to peer scene much anyway. :idk:

• Members

WOW!!!
this is something I am really interested in,
Hopefully its not like line 6 gearbox and you have to fork out for each new model you want! I really dont mind paying the extra up front to get a full version with updates.

Heres to hoping,

Now Ive got to change my christmas wish list (hope its not too late)

NB

• Members
I hope it drives down the price of the axe-fx standard
:D

I don't imagine anything would drive the prices on the hardware units down until he's able to ramp up production and cut costs on components through price breaks on bigger quantities and whatnot. He's said somewhere in one of the threads that there's little margin as it is in the Axe-FX. So even if he did start to make some savings per unit in the cost, he might choose to just take the profit to start with until more significant cost reductions start happening (which, depending on what he actually is making per unit, might be entirely reasonable considering the amount of work that must have gone into it).

He's in a bit of a different position to say, Line 6, with their already big customer base, big production quantities, and cheap offshore manufacturing.

Archived