What's better than Celestion Vintage 30 V30? There's too much mid harshness

sfx70

• Members

OK so I got a 4x12 BACKLOADED cab with all Celestion Vintage 30 V30 that I thinking of replacing. They have too much mid harshness that I can't take anymore. I can't dial it out. I want a more balanced sound that doesn't accentuate frequencies as bad as the V30. Good lowes, smooth highs and just enough mids (that's why I got a mid control on my amp for).

Sugestions? I've heard good things about the G12-65?

My style of music: blues, funk to a bit of alternative rock. I am NOT playing any kind of metal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK so I got a Bogner 4x12 BACKLOADED cab with all Celestion Vintage 30 V30 that I thinking of replacing. They have too much mid harshness that I can't take anymore. I can't dial it out. I want a more balanced sound that doesn't accentuate frequencies as bad as the V30. Good lowes, smooth highs and just enough mids (that's why I got a mid control on my amp for).

Sugestions? I've heard good things about the G12-65?

My style of music: blues, funk to a bit of alternative rock. I am NOT playing any kind of metal.

Warehouse Guitar Speakers...Retro or Veteran perhaps.

• Members

EVM12L

If his cab was a 1x12 or 2x12 I'd agree with you. But in a 4x12? It would make it like a 200 lbs cabinet and probably be too bottom-heavy.

I'd say look into the Warehouse V30s or Eminence Legends. Both are comparable to V30's in terms of sound, but have been made to dial out some of the harshness.

• Members

200 watt Electrovoice is an amazing speaker, but NOT acceptable for more than 2x12. CL80 (or Mesa C90) blend well with V30s. Greenbacks should be the only speaker in the 4x12 or you'll never hear them.

So mixing V30s and GBs is not teh good idea?

I'm kinda missing teh mids/higher efficiency from my V30s in certain situations tbh :cry:

• Members

monkeysuit, aren't the P50Es supposed to be frontloaded? how do they sound backloaded?

Like {censored} in my experience. Very direct and ice picky. More so than in the front loaded cabs oddly enough.

If you decide you would like to try the retro 30's, I have 4 for sale in the classifieds for $50 a piece shipped

• Members

sorry man...
:facepalm:

i just thought it was kinda pertinent!

Yeah, just kinda a little maybe. :o

And now I have to hop off the Greenback train (is it just me, or is that the usual response to "V30s have wonky upper mids, what can I replace them with?) back to "I don't know" because I have no clue how the VHT voicing meshes with Greens... :idk:

Archived