Which one is the modeler, which one is the real amp?

danbronson

• Members

I'm not trying to trick anyone, just pointing out the difference between a supposedly pretty good modeler (Amplitube 2 modeling a Dual Rectifier) and a real amp (Dual Rectifier Roadster). The settings aren't very close and the differences are obvious. I'm curious to see if people pick the right ones.

http://danbronson.fileave.com/Which%20is%20which.wav

The clip is divided into two halfs. Pick which one you think is the first and second half.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What was the real amp recorded with and where was the mic placed.

Amplitube is set up to be recording as a Shure SM57 and a Sennheiser MD441. I was using a Sennheiser e906 and an Audix i5. Both are placed 1.5" off the grill, looking at the cone a bit towards the dust cap.

Whether the tone sucks or not is not in question.

• Members

I'm curious to hear
why
you guys are picking what you're picking as well!

Because I've used the aforementioned program and know its tone, I've used/heard the mics you used in real life, and above all...

It's easier to simulate a good micing job than to produce one in real life. And the first clip was better...

Now if I'm wrong a douche is how I will look. :lol:

• Members

I think the first one is the modeler just because the second one sounds kinda distant and notched. I've never heard a modeler sound distant. While through my own experience with micing, I know can be a bitch to get a really present, balanced tone onto tape. I like the first one better, whether or not it is the real amp I couldn't care less.

Archived