Which one is the modeler, which one is the real amp?

danbronson

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the first one is the modeler just because the second one sounds kinda distant and notched. I've never heard a modeler sound distant. While through my own experience with micing, I know can be a bitch to get a really present, balanced tone onto tape. I like the first one better, whether or not it is the real amp I couldn't care less.

I also thought that the palm mutes on the second clip didn't have the same attack that a real Recto has.

• Members

I guess it's either of these two scenarios:

1) Part 1 is the modeler and part 2 was miced less-than-optimally.

2) Part 2 is the modeler and not enough time was spent getting it to sound good (using a poor DI or none at all, not trying enough settings for cab sims etc.)

Either way I prefer the first half. Next time don't fail so hard and actually get similar basic sounds for a more even comparison. :)

• Members

Dan

Thanks for posting this - I've been meaning to do something similar but with clean tones, using my silverface fender twin and modelled versions of same from NI, amplitude, softube etc.

They're pretty darn close - far closer than the "digital haters" would care to admit.

I reckon the first half is real, the second half modelled.

T

• Members
Because I've used the aforementioned program and know its tone, I've used/heard the mics you used in real life, and above all...

It's easier to simulate a good micing job than to produce one in real life. And the first clip was better...

Now if I'm wrong a douche is how I will look.
:lol:

I'm going a big fat +1 to all of the above. :thu:

• Members

based on your description of the micing, im gonna say the first was modeler and the second real amp.

the reality is that it's almost impossible to tell which is which in a situation like this because micing technique can make a HUGE difference in finished product. since i know that putting the mic near the dust cover usually makes it really bright and fizzy, i say the second half is real amp. i also don't know which speaker you're using, but in this mic placement i'm not sure how much it matters.

• Members

I like the first one more, but that's because the second sounds distant and muffled in comparison. I'd guess the second is a real amp just because it's harder to mic a real amp and get that up front presence that the first half of the recording has.

The thing I've learned about digital vs mic'd amps is that on recordings it's hard to tell the difference. Get them in a live setting with some volume, it becomes very apparent which is tube and which isn't tube if the tube amp is dialed in decently at all.

Archived