SCREW this stupid "video" amp demo crap

EvilMeow

• Members
sweet dude...blog it.

Yes! I'm gonna cry and blog about it :(

I don't even know why I posted this. I'm really sick, right now. Maybe I'm just cranky :mad::mad::mad:

I just remember there used to be tons of killer players with great recording chops as well, and a lot of people made really great clips. I just see fewer clips these days.

Granted, clips aren't the end-all, be-all either.

• Members

Well some of them do.

If you have played enough amps and have been playing guitar long enough a lot of times you can kinda imagine what the amp would be like in person and usually be correct.

For example if you are looking for an amp that has enough gain you can see how the gain sounds on each amp and how much they have.

I mean I've heard videos of little peavey envoys that sounded better than videos of 6505's. I love my 6505 but for some reason they have the most {censored}ty videos.

• Members

What's this you say?

Low quality camera mic youtube vids AREN'T accurate representations of teh toanes? :eek:

:idea:

I guess this means FJA mods is going out of business :cop:

It amazes me how many people in the "markV vid" thread are all like "meh I'd rather try it myself, I don't think the cam/yo0toob compression helped",

Then anytime were talkin bout FJA mods its liek "wooaaahh d000d ur map sounds aweesuuuuuuurmm through this (not even high quality/hi def) y00t00b videoo :love:" and they have so much trust in the {censored}ing youtube clip that they'd use it as a valid source to compare it with another amp and decide which one they like the tone of more :facepalm:

Hey, I'm sure the maps sound great, but it just goes to show teh tardedness that goes on here :facepalm:

HCAF

:facepalm:

• Members

It's better than nothing. A lot of people don't have the time to do a super professional studio recording.

MEH

Well, I can see that, but I just don't understand the idea of taking video of something that, well, doesn't have any movement in it. I see a lot of amp videos that are just straight shots of the amp with the player off-screen.

It's kind of creepy.

The only real advantage I can see of it is the searchability on something like Youtube.

• Members
It amazes me how many people in the "markV vid" thread are all like "meh I'd rather try it myself, I don't think the cam/yo0toob compression helped",

Then anytime were talkin bout FJA mods its liek "wooaaahh d000d ur map sounds aweesuuuuuuurmm through this (not even high quality/hi def) y00t00b videoo :love:" and they have so much trust in the {censored}ing youtube clip that they'd use it as a valid source to compare it with another amp and decide which one they like the tone of more

Hey, I'm sure the maps sound great, but it just goes to show teh tardedness that goes on here

HCAF

lol troof :thu:

Seriously, it is true, and pathetic. :facepalm:

Even when the Mark5 was just a rumour, which was barely a week ago, I knew I wouldn't be completely convinced until I tried the amp out for myself, as with any amplifier. I did say that I didn't like some of the tones in the Mark5 video, but I took the YouTube Audio Butchering Factor into account. I do the same in YouTube videos where I do happen to really like the sound.
I'll still go and try everything for myself, even if I thought the example of it in an online video is total crap. I never, NEVER completely trust an amp based on an online video.

• Members

Well, I can see that, but I just don't understand the idea of taking video of something that, well, doesn't have any movement in it. I see a lot of amp videos that are just straight shots of the amp with the player off-screen.

It's kind of creepy.

Haha, true!

I've done some ({censored}ty) amp videos on YouTube, and I had to resort to pointing the camera at the amp and playing off-screen, because the video needed to be as short as possible, otherwise the file size would be too large for it to upload. What would also suck is that the camera would compress the sound too much, or get too much of the direct speaker sound & therefore be too harsh and buzzy.

• Members

Seriously, all these videos with the camcorder mic sound... I just don't get it. It really doesn't "give you a feel for how they sound in a room" or any of that garbage. It just sounds bad, most of the time.

But yet is better than nothing. In all fairness, there have been some demos that sound great.

Hell, sometimes an amp will sound like sex in person, and will not record well with any recording equipment, no matter how expensive. Some "lesser" sounding amps in person will record great. Its not an exact science. You always hear professional bands with stories of how their favorite amp will be awesome live, but will just not record well.

• Members

{censored},if you live out in the woods like me. any kind of demo is appreciated. nearest drive to a decent music store is like 2 hrs.and unfortunately its GC. good thing about that is a drive to scott splawns shop is only an extra 45min. its always great to talk with those guys. and by far the best amp "demo"s i can find around here.

• Members

Yea, I'm right there with you ACLONERANGER. The nearest Guitar Center is nearly an hour's drive, and the local mom & pop shops carry some good stuff but variety is not the spice of their lives.

It's gotten to the point where I actually buy Guitar World just to hear some gear demos, and the squirrely guy who does them is terrible :cry:

But all the objections in the thread are valid... Which is why when I post clips, I don't do any post-processing, I convert them to mp3 using a good VBR algorithm instead of a super, super lossy 128kbps CBR, and I upload them to a real file hosting service instead of something that's going to re-encode the audio for maximum crap factor.

• Members

Yea, I'm right there with you ACLONERANGER. The nearest Guitar Center is nearly an hour's drive, and the local mom & pop shops carry some good stuff but variety is not the spice of their lives.

It's gotten to the point where I actually buy Guitar World just to hear some gear demos, and the squirrely guy who does them is terrible
:cry:

But all the objections in the thread are valid... Which is why when I post clips, I don't do any post-processing, I convert them to mp3 using a good VBR algorithm instead of a super, super lossy 128kbps CBR, and I upload them to a real file hosting service instead of something that's going to re-encode the audio for maximum crap factor.

That's what I've been doing recently.

{censored} soundclick tbh :o

Archived