Getting a Vox AC30....what should I know?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
which speakers are in it?

i SERIOUSLY doubt you'll need a treble boost... particularly with blues, if y' got 'em.

you might need some earplugs...

It's coming with WGS V30 and ET65.....

....I'll give that a shot, but I've a pair of Weber Alnico Sig "blues" I'd like to try.

Otherwise......I've also got a pair of Greenbacks too.....I've heard they sound good with those too? :idk:

If none of those sound good, I'll pony up and buy some real blues.:cool:

• Members

....I'll give that a shot, but I've a pair of Weber Alnico Sig "blues" I'd like to try.

Otherwise......I've also got a pair of Greenbacks too.....I've heard they sound good with those too?
:idk:

If none of those sound good, I'll pony up and buy some real blues.
:cool:

man! excited for ya!

i really do love the hell out of an ac15tv.. but the beastly headroom of a 30 would be awesome too... and being able to tweak it with a bunch of speakers is gonna be a serious pile o' fun...

congrats!

• Members
man! excited for ya!

i really do love the hell out of an ac15tv.. but the beastly headroom of a 30 would be awesome too... and being able to tweak it with a bunch of speakers is gonna be a serious pile o' fun...

congrats!

I'm ditching my Soldano for it.....and some change.

I've played one at a local shop for about 30 mins. I wasn't too "wow'd" by it......but I couldn't turn it up and didn't fiddle with the knobs too much......I'm sure I had it all {censored}ed up.

I've wanted one for a VERY long time.

So there is a lot of headroom? All of the youtube demos sound dirty? :idk:

• Members

The treble booster that Brian May uses is to get the amp to distort and sing more - basically the "treble booster" title is a bit misleading - yeah it does add a little top but more than anything it adds lots of clean gain to push the amp much harder - basically a massive signal boost hitting it...and he runs his amps on the normal channel (which can be pretty bassy n dull) and is amps are run flat out - dimed...and that = LOUD. This gives a rich sustain and feedback on notes so you can hold them for as long as you like and go off for a bite to eat bla bla bla. His sound is NOT HIGH GAIN THOUGH - probs medium gain from a boosted and fully cranked powerstage.

But then he plays stadiums and big stages so he can run is MULTIPLE FULLY CRANKED AC30's like that. Most mere mortals cant do that as most venues will tell you to turn down or get out of the door if you tried playing that loud. And your audience in many bars n clubs would have their faces melted off also! :D

• Members

No, I know some stuff.....but I've found that if I'm a complete n00b about it all.......I get better responses.
:thu:

Aaaaah,.....the ole reverse psychology? Gotcha. :thu:

Well, from my limited time playing through them (either real ones or clones, w/Top Boost) I'd say, IMO, they're the best sounding, best feeling and most versatile amp for simmering cleans to gorgeous crunch tones. Any guitar sounds great through them, single coils, P90's, humbuckers, etc. They record fantastic, and they sit very well in a live mix.

I have something on order that I will receive next month. Not a real JMI-era AC30,...but the next best thing. I will let everyone know after I have it in my grubby hands.

• Members
I'm ditching my Soldano for it.....and some change.

I've played one at a local shop for about 30 mins. I wasn't too "wow'd" by it......but I couldn't turn it up and didn't fiddle with the knobs too much......I'm sure I had it all {censored}ed up.

I've wanted one for a VERY long time.

So there is a lot of headroom? All of the youtube demos sound dirty?

i'd think you'd have PLENTY of headroom-- most people don't play ac30's squeaky clean on purpose, but i'd think you could get it pretty doggone spanky-- 30 watts is a lot.. and what you can't get 'cleaner' with full volume.. just roll off your volume knob, and you'll still get the goods. the ones i've played were pretty great sounding even at low output-- but once you run 'em hot, i think you'll hit the stride of it's gain... and be lovin' it! such an awesome trashy sound...

• Members

Otherwise......I've also got a pair of Greenbacks too.....I've heard they sound good with those too?

If none of those sound good, I'll pony up and buy some real blues.
:cool:

In my experience, the AC30 sounds great with Greenbacks or Blues but pretty lack luster with any higher powered speakers.

Archived