Mccartney's walking bass lines

The Keester

• Members

without getting into too much theory is there a way to write a walking bass line similar to this style? do you just stay in the scale of the whole song or do you change each scale to each individual chord being played?

im pretty sure paul says he's not too much into theory but there has to be some structure to follow.

• Members

Even better guy to study is John Entwistle of the who. He did all kinds of crazy stuff with his bass lines. He was the most important person in that band imo. I know Townsend was a great song writer, but the bass line this guy was putting out there were revolutionary. I always heard that the bassist was the least important person in the group.. hell Bon Jovi said that on TV.. but then I started listening to the who and realizing just how much potential bassists have to really drive the song.

• Moderators

You know that thread about having a 2nd melody play to your main "song melody" instead of strumming out chords? That's what McCartney did/does. Arpeggios? Scales? Sure... but more importantly, he used melody. Some based on scales, some on arps, but melody. Based on the implied chord progression.

Listen to the tuba in band pieces. Sousa and the like. Or rather, English band music from the turn of the century. The other century. Now mix that with what the guys were doing on Elvis and Little Richard records. That attitude with a seriously informed and intuitive musical insight. That's McCartney.

Easy! / ; ^ )

• Members

Even better guy to study is John Entwistle of the who. He did all kinds of crazy stuff with his bass lines. He was the most important person in that band imo. I know Townsend was a great song writer, but the bass line this guy was putting out there were revolutionary. I always heard that the bassist was the least important person in the group.. hell Bon Jovi said that on TV.. but then I started listening to the who and realizing just how much potential bassists have to really drive the song.

When we start listening to a featherweight like Jon Bon Jovi about what's important in music, it's time to pack it in. ;)

With regard to the original question, there's no one answer. Often, particularly on songs built on a blues modulation, the bass line will be mirrored chromatically across the modulations, other times it will bend to the key... it all depends on the context and the way in which the song is harmonically constructed.

• Members

When we start listening to a featherweight like Jon Bon Jovi about what's important in music, it's time to
pack it in
;)

With regard to the original question, there's no one answer. Often, particularly on songs built on a blues modulation, the bass line will be mirrored chromatically across the modulations, other times it will bend to the key... it all depends on the context and the way in which the song is harmonically constructed.

+1 about bon jovi. he must never have listened to motown. the bass and drums are the most important things tracked in a pop/rock.metal song.

• Members

+1 about bon jovi. he must never have listened to motown. the bass and drums are the most important things tracked in a pop/rock.metal song.

Blame the producer. Plus, I think the sound they usually go for is hair metal and power ballads, not motown. :idk:

Bon Jovi's a decent writer. Not something I crave, but he knows what he's doing. Even Dylan complimented him on Dead Or Alive.

• Members

without getting into too much theory is there a way to write a walking bass line similar to this style? do you just stay in the scale of the whole song or do you change each scale to each individual chord being played?

im pretty sure paul says he's not too much into theory but there has to be some structure to follow.

Pretty much agree with Lee and Stackabones. McCartney plays very melodic lines - really not a walking style - don't think in terms of scales, think in terms of the melody in the lead or backing vocals. And yes, usually the melody will stay in a single key over the course of a verse/chorus/bridge section, so knowing your major and minor scales and being able to recognize the correct key will help a lot.

Entwhistle is also very melodic and not really a walking style bassist, however his lines are usually independant of the vocal melody, and create their own melodic structures which are freqently much more active than the rather static vocal melodies and guitar chords.

• Members

Blame the producer. Plus, I think the sound they usually go for is hair metal and power ballads, not motown.
:idk:

Bon Jovi's a decent writer. Not something I crave, but he knows what he's doing. Even Dylan complimented him on
Dead Or Alive

you didn't understand what i was saying. it's ok, you may be right. his tongue may have been planted in his cheek.

• Members

I've always enjoyed Van Halen's interpretation of what the bass should do. Not always walking per se, but many of their classics have specific bass riffs underlying the song. See "Jamie's Crying", for instance.

Inspired by that (and other folks), I very often put active riff and walking bass parts in songs I write.

Archived