Friday Influences Thread 02.13.09

Stackabones

• Members

So what has influenced you in the past ... or in the past week since the last FIT?

Blossom Dearie passed away this week. For those who knew about her, it is a time to reflect on a unique, monumental artist's carreer. For those who didn't know her, perhaps it's a time to get to know her.

She's always been devoted to song and has called herself a songwriter's singer. Her voice often causes an ear to do a double-take, she's not really a serious singer, is she?! Listen closely and you'll hear more than a Chet Bakeresque sotto voce vulnerabilty, but a finely tuned wit. In a world that praises chardonnay, Blossom was a Sauternes.

The video I've linked isn't the classic 1959 studio version of I Won't Dance, but a 1983 live version of just her at the piano. When she first cut the song in '59, it was already an old song (it had come out in 1934). Fascinating to think that by '83, Blossom had been singing it for 24 years. By the time she last performed live in 2006 (if it were still in sets and it probably was), she'd sang that song for almost 50 years. Imagine the depth of understanding and approach one would have after singing a song for that long. Longtime Blossom fans will hear a richness in her voice in the '83 version, almost a lurking alto underneath that doll soprano.

Blossom Dearie -- I Won't Dance (Kern/Hammerstein/Harbach)

[YOUTUBE]sxEfWCvh8uY[/YOUTUBE]

Embedding disabled, folks. Go here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxEfWCvh8uY

• Members

George Harrison is perhaps my favorite Beatle songwriter, in a close tie with John Lennon. His album All Things must Pass is one of my favorites. The clip below is perhaps not his best song, but I love that he could laugh at his problems with copyright infringement. The truculant child walk at the opening of the video cracks me up, since I work with troubled adolescents a lot. ;)

[YOUTUBE]bsUkACDSIZY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

embedding disabled on that clip Gary.

Keep in mind that a second click in the 'picture area' (where it says 'embedding disabled') will take you to the YT page in question and you can see the vid.

Also, don't forget that -- if the vid uploaded was high enough quality -- you can add "&fmt=18" [w/o the quote marks] to the end of the full basic URL (the sequnce starting with the first & but excluding any subsequent &'s and following string -- also, doesn't work for embeds in this BB) and see the vid in high(er) resolution with stereo audio (if it was in stereo in the first place).

That's why I'll often put a straight link to the 'hi quality' URL above the embed in a bb post.

Like Chris, the passing of long time fave Blossom Dearie was a big loss to me and cause to listen to even more Blossom than usual. (Although I'd just been on a huge Blossom jag last week. Maybe I sensed something. Or maybe I just had a jones for some wry, whimsical, and sharp jazz cabaret.) Loved that gal! :love:

Speaking of passings... sorta...

It's been more than a few years since he passed ('95)... but the pain of loss is always fresh for me.

Here's a rockin' little acoustic performance by blues rock avatar Rory Gallagher called "Too Much Alcohol"... it's not a song he wrote, but it's kinda poignant, since Rory died of complications following a liver transplant at the age of 47...

z1zsRRt1FWE

• Members

Keep in mind that a second click in the 'picture area' (where it says 'embedding disabled') will take you to the YT page in question and you can see the vid.

I didn't realize that. I've been very dumb all day today... (ok, for more than just today)

• Members

I didn't realize that. I've been very dumb all day today... (ok, for more than just today)

I suspect I can trump your dumbness, easily, by a long way, this week. In fact, let the fact I'm not going to go on about it, be a tribute to the sheer dumbness of my dumbness.

• Members

Lots of good stuff again, although "This Song" seems like a rather perverse choice (it's a catchy tune, but the subject of the song is how stupid songwriting can be).

According to my mother, when I was a baby and I was crying, the only thing that would make me stop was the sound of Beethoven being played, quite loudly if necessary. So, needless to say, I wound up listening to a lot of Beethoven as a child.

And it stuck with me. So for my Friday influence, I'm suggesting the finale of Beethoven's 7th symphony. The way in which the two themes interact, and the drama that Beethoven wrings from those interactions inspires me to this day. The link below isn't the best version, but it is the only version I could find for free online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:JOHN_MICHEL_CELLO-BEETHOVEN_SYMPHONY_7_Finale.ogg

• Members

Lots of good stuff again, although "This Song" seems like a rather perverse choice (it's a catchy tune, but the subject of the song is how stupid songwriting can be).

According to my mother, when I was a baby and I was crying, the only thing that would make me stop was the sound of Beethoven being played, quite loudly if necessary. So, needless to say, I wound up listening to a lot of Beethoven as a child.

And it stuck with me. So for my Friday influence, I'm suggesting the finale of Beethoven's 7th symphony. The way in which the two themes interact, and the drama that Beethoven wrings from those interactions inspires me to this day. The link below isn't the best version, but it is the only version I could find for free online.

I'm a Beethoven man, too. I made a special trip to Bonn so I could see his birthplace. I do an arrangement of F

Archived