Chambered les paul question (floyd rose content)

electricface

• Members

The X-ray's pic was of a BFG, you can tell by the neck P90.

The pics Dirtybird posted was of a LP Studio Smartwood.

Both of these are among the cheapest Les Pauls ever, so I'm not sure you can make assumptions on the higher end models based on these examples.

I recently had the cover off of a new plain jane Standard and it didn't have the hollow cavity like you see in the Smartwood pic. :idk:

• Members
Are Epiphones weight relieved like this? Chambered and cheesed? Or are they still solid chunks of wood?

Found an interesting thread via google:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/1450-weight-relieve-vs-chambered-2.html

Chamber_Smartwood1.jpg
Chamber_Smartwood2.jpg

Chamber_Supreme.jpg

The second picture is an epiphone les paul ultra II's routing. The first a gibson BFG.
No other epis are weight relieved. I think it's because the phillipine, indonesian, african, or whatever mahogany they use isn't in short old growth supply.

• Members

The X-ray's pic was of a BFG, you can tell by the neck P90.

The pics Dirtybird posted was of a LP Studio Smartwood.

Both of these are among the cheapest Les Pauls ever, so I'm not sure you can make assumptions on the higher end models based on these examples.

The les paul studio vintage mahogany is also a cheapo lester. That's the intended destination of the floyd.

• Members

From my understanding it has to do with the type of wood. There are solid body LPs with no weight relief that are like high 8 to 9 pounds.

My LP studio is a 2004 so it is only swiss cheesed I believe. I don't see whats wrong with it, though I feel like it is to compensate for lower quality mahogany.

• Members

. I don't see whats wrong with it, though I feel like it is to compensate for lower quality mahogany.

+1

i think thats the whole idea. the chambering is supposed to make lower grade mahogany more resonant and woodier sounding.

i could be wrong but thats just what i think. not saying i could even tell the difference between one another.. im just sayin.

• Members

Chambering a guitar would use up less wood, but the wood you cut away would be useless for a guitar...

Nononononono...

The LOW GRADE mahogany is VERY heavy. Think a 13 pound les paul. 1959 unchambered les pauls weigh an average of 8.5 pounds. Take out a bunch of wood, take out a bunch of weight.

Oh, and if they did a a HPL laminate on some future lower end guitars, it could be used.

• Members

+1

i think thats the whole idea. the chambering is supposed to make lower grade mahogany more resonant and woodier sounding.

i could be wrong but thats just what i think. not saying i could even tell the difference between one another.. im just sayin.

I think it's also supposed to reduce weight.

I think the swiss cheese holes are only to reduce weight, without any tone considerations.

• Members

Chambering a guitar would use up less wood, but the wood you cut away would be useless for a guitar...

The newer, cheaper woods are a lot heavier and more dense then mohogany used to be back in the day with the old growth trees.

The weight relived (swiss cheese) LP's are actually the same weight as 60's LP's that were solid.

-W

Archived