Chambered les paul question (floyd rose content)

electricface

• Members

Enjoy your homless romanticism.

I'm asking a valid question about something I'm going to have a licensed professional preform on a guitar which I own.

Most of the civilized world thinks a floyd on a les paul is an abomination. Judging from the chambered pic you posted I'd say there's no way that's gonna work.

But if you do get it done - pics or GTFO! :p

• Members
Is it possible to install a floyd rose tremolo on a chambered les paul?

I know they're routed something like this:

Chamber_BFG_2007.jpg
chambered_body.jpg

Is there enough wood to anchor a floyd, springs, etc. without the guitar imploding?

lol wait a minute, they chop THAT MUCH wood out of the LPs?:lol:Do not want :o

• Members

"Chambered" is an understatement, that's a {censored}ing hollowbody. They're selling those as Les Pauls now? How long has this been going on?

for a while now. as far as i know its been a LOOONG time since a les paul was solid on the inside. I think most that arent chambered nowadays are swiss cheese on the inside.

• Members

Yeah, I just talked to a friend who knows more about LPs than I do, he says chambering/weight relief started in 1988, and according to him the chambered ones sound quite different from the swiss cheese ones (the swiss cheese weight relieved guitars apparently sound more like classic LPs, while chambered LPs have a bit of mellowness to them by way of comparison).

I don't think I'd want either of them, though, and the non-chambered/WR are among the more expensive production LPs, so it's pretty much out of the question. I'll stick with my strats/superstrats.

• Members

Wow... I was going to (As a user of Floyds) suggest you not do it... but after seeing the abomination those things are from teh factory, {censored}.... you cant make it any worse. I'd suggest just doinga dive-only setup, but you still gotta rout out the trem cavity and such. Meh...

• Members

Check out the Stetsbar, expensive but a good product. It's a surface-mount trem system that uses the Tune-o-matic posts and doesn't require any modification to your guitar. Stays in tune and allows you to go up and down. Not Floyd-crazy but you've got your divebombs and your squealies :o

Up-bends are limited by how much clearance you've got of course.

• Members

Check out the
Stetsbar
, expensive but a good product. It's a surface-mount trem system that uses the Tune-o-matic posts and doesn't require any modification to your guitar. Stays in tune and allows you to go up and down. Not Floyd-crazy but you've got your divebombs and your squealies
:o

I'd second this just based on what the website says. There are also a few other flatmount trems, like the Washburn Wonder-bar and I think Kahler

• Members

Check out the
Stetsbar
, expensive but a good product. It's a surface-mount trem system that uses the Tune-o-matic posts and doesn't require any modification to your guitar. Stays in tune and allows you to go up and down. Not Floyd-crazy but you've got your divebombs and your squealies
:o

I tried one. It felt like a spaghetti noodle, and sounded like there was a pillow under the strings. Maybe it was a poor setup, or the 1989 LP it was on sucked from the factory, but I'm NEVER using a setsbar.

That, and it costs nearly as much as the guitar I'm putting it on cost me.

Archived