OT: I need new tires for my car

bluesboy

• Members

Im going to need to replace my 4 tires pretty soon. Just curious if you guys have any recommendations. I don't want to skimp because good tires are important, but i would like to save as much as i can. Im looking for good all around, all weather tires. Should i go the Sam's Club route, or maybe Jack Williams?

What say you, HCAF?

• Members

Shop around. Definitely check Sams club. Keep in mind the extra costs as well. While you may find a cheaper cost per tire somewhere else, how much is their mount and balance, road hazzard and all of the other extra costs. Sams is really reasonable in the additional costs.

• Members

Shop around. Definitely check Sams club. Keep in mind the extra costs as well. While you may find a cheaper cost per tire somewhere else, how much is their mount and balance, road hazzard and all of the other extra costs. Sams is really reasonable in the additional costs.

cool, thanks for the input

• Members

I've been using Eagle F1s in the back and Continental Extreme Contacts up front for about 5 months now with no complaints...but I drive a sports car.

The fronts were put on by the dealership b/c when I bought the car it needed new front tires.

The rears were done by Just Tires because they were the only place around that had the size I needed semi-in stock...it was a next day order.

All of the major tire chains around me are pretty much the same...semi-reasonably well priced and they install the tires competently.

I prefer getting my tires put on by my indie mechanic but he didn't have the machinery available to install 18 or 19" tires. My car rocks the offset.

• Members

I did that and Discount Tire still had a better price on my Goodyear Tires! ;)

• Members
I did that and Discount Tire still had a better price on my Goodyear Tires!
;)

Good to hear. Not all places have great deals. You may find a great price on a tire and then find out that the M&B, RH and all the other stuff make it more expensive. I am glad to hear you got it cheaper out the door. The OP needs to check into all of this when making a decision.

• Members

YOu mean Firestone.

Bridgestone owns Firestone.

Wherever you purchase from, Michelin is the best you can get. And don't get suckered by the "Our ULTIMA line is made by Michelin!" bull{censored}. If they say that, the truth is that Michelin owns the garbage quality tire company that made those off-brand, garbage quality tires. If Michelin makes it, it says Michelin on it.

• Members

Doesn't really matter what brand you get, but make sure you check the DATE CODE on the tires.

Rubber is organic and degrades with age. Even if the tires are never used and look brand new, they may have been sitting on a shelf for 5 years and that's when they start to get dangerous.

Here's a link on how to read the code. The date codes are on the INSIDE rim, so make sure you have the bozos installing your tires SHOW you the tires before they put them on your car so you can check the codes.

-W

• Members

I found this out over my driving career... How much driving do you physically do? Tires deteriorate over time as well as mileage...

If you do
If you do more than 10,000 especailly if you do a lot of town driving, then premiums are a good bet.

For example, when I worked a lot of travel jobs, I clocked about 50,000 miles in a 9 month period. I went through two sets of budgets by 17k in. After that I used pirelli or goodyears and I tended to get about 16k out of them...

I worked out that over 100,000 miles, it would cost me

• Members

With 18" factory rims, I get PWNT at tire buying time...

If you buy online, read everything carefully.

If they don't have some type of free shipping offer, that may screw your savings to hell.

Walmart ,Sam's club and SOME tire store prices per tires include mounting and balancing, some don't, so keep that in mind too.

• Members
I found this out over my driving career... How much driving do you physically do? Tires deteriorate over time as well as mileage...

If you do

If you do more than 10,000 especailly if you do a lot of town driving, then premiums are a good bet.

For example, when I worked a lot of travel jobs, I clocked about 50,000 miles in a 9 month period. I went through two sets of budgets by 17k in. After that I used pirelli or goodyears and I tended to get about 16k out of them...

I worked out that over 100,000 miles, it would cost me

• Members

If you buy online, you need to be very sure that your temperature ratings are correct!!! My buddy fell fowl to this a long time ago and ended up getting his car impounded and 6 points on his license, all because he'd ordered the wrong thing!

I have never heard of this in the States, that must be a Euro thing.

Only deal we have here, that is of any importance to me, is we can't run beadlocks on the street.

Probably because if a police officer shoots them out/spike strip is put out, the car will still drive and the tires wont come off the rim. :lol:

• Members

Best life and general performance I've gotten from a tire was Toyo Spectrums. They hold up great, work well in snow and rain, and run smooth and quiet.

We used to have to use V-rated performance tires on our Mazda but I ended up putting the Toyo's on and they've lasted much better. I used to blow through a set of Khumo's in about 10k miles. I've had the Toyo's last 80k on my pickup.

Archived