Just Finished My First SLO Clone (Titan-esque)

skaaks

• Members

So the head shell for my SLO clone finally came in this weekend, and I couldn't be happier. The shell was built by a fellow amp builder, and he did and incredible job! IMHO it looks awesome! I'm so happy to finally be done w/ my first real amp (I've done a few smaller builds before). All in all, it was an awesome experience and I can't wait to start on my next one. I have another SLO chassis and headshell so I think I'm going to do one more SLO build using turret boards, then I'm going to attempt a Bogner Ecstasy clone.

As for the amp itself, it's pretty much a straight up SLO w/ a few minor tweaks. It doesn't have nearly as many mods as knucklefux did on his Titan, but I think it sounds pretty similar to how his was described: extremely tight and aggressive with a fairly dynamic sound. I actually think it sounds pretty similary to my VHT w/ a slightly different voicing. Here's a clip of how it sounded a few weeks ago before some more tweaking:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=917428&songID=7287907

I'm going to try to get some more clips made tonight. In the meantime, here are some pics of the build. For anyone interested, I am selling this SLO clone to help fund my future builds. The link to my HCAF classified ad is in my sig.

[ATTACH]287383[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]287384[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]287385[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]287386[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]287387[/ATTACH]

• Members

Dude nice job! That sounds great!

I've got two sets of the PCBs myself but haven't bought any of the other parts...Did you happen to jot down your final parts list? Just be curious to see where youre at there :)

Great job dude...Makes me want to start mine :lol:

PS - you ever get that Mark IV in tip-top shape? You can PM me if you don't want to ruin your thread :cool:

• Members

I don't think it's the same one that he's got in the one that's being passed around (it's a Weber I believe), but it is the one that he's going to use for the final product. It's a seriously hardcore chassis. I'm sure he won't have any of the same problems he had w/ the Weber one.

• Members

Since this was my first high gain amp, I wanted to simplify the build as much as possible. It was really easy to solder all of the parts into the PCB, but it also makes it a lot harder to do mods since it takes a bit of work to remove the PCB for part replacement.

Now that I'm pretty comfortable w/ working on a circuit like this, I want to move on to a turret build because it's much easier to mod, plus you can change the circuit layout without having to make an entirely new circuit board. I decided to stick w/ doing another SLO because there's a ton of information out there on SLO turret builds, including turret layout diagrams. That saves me a lot of work because I won't have to decide how to lay out all of the parts myself.

Once I'm really comforatble w/ building an amp using turrets, I'm going to move on to something that's not nearly as well documented (like an Ecstasy). It'll be my first build where I'm pretty much on my own and I'll have to lay out everything from scratch. From there, I start designing and building my own amps :thu:

• Members

Since this was my first high gain amp, I wanted to simplify the build as much as possible. It was really easy to solder all of the parts into the PCB, but it also makes it a lot harder to do mods since it takes a bit of work to remove the PCB for part replacement.

Now that I'm pretty comfortable w/ working on a circuit like this, I want to move on to a turret build because it's much easier to mod, plus you can change the circuit layout without having to make an entirely new circuit board. I decided to stick w/ doing another SLO because there's a ton of information out there on SLO turret builds, including turret layout diagrams. That saves me a lot of work because I won't have to decide how to lay out all of the parts myself.

Once I'm really comforatble w/ building an amp using turrets, I'm going to move on to something that's not nearly as well documented (like an Ecstasy). It'll be my first build where I'm pretty much on my own and I'll have to lay out everything from scratch. From there, I start designing and building my own amps
:thu:

Looks like you did a nice job on your kit :thu: personally I don't like printed circuit boards at all, partly for some of the reasons you mentioned above. I do everything with turrets and I think they look neater than printed circuits.

Best of luck to you on future builds :thu:

Archived