how much does a bias cost?

Emerica167852

• Members

Some places will do it for you for $50. You provide the tubes. More are doing that now since peeps are buying their own tubes online. When they don't and a service place charges $2 more than the online price, tech shops get hammered about tube costs ! That's what my old tech started doing anyway.

• Members

Here's a link to some videos on biasing a few different amps at the Eurotubes website. The hardest thing about biasing is getting the amp out of the cabinet IMO. You can use a bias probe, which is basically a tube socket that plugs into a multimeter or you can buy a Bias Rite or something similar that is an all in one meter, either way it's fairly simple.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-video.htm

• Members

my amp tech charges like 25 bucks for a bias if he doesnt need to remove the chassis from the cabinet. Otherwise he charges an hourly rate of 1 hour which is 40 bucks. They also clean the pots and do a once over of the whole amp. If you buy the tubes from his shop the bias is free.

• Members

naa na i might be getting a dsl soon, and its got a problem with it that might require a tube change

Oh {censored}. DSL's are stupid easy to bias. You don't even have to remove the chassis. AND all you need is a multimeter. You will probably want an alligator clip thought, it will make it a lot easier.

Archived