Friday Influences Thread 04.03.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you in the past -- or since the last FIT?

Man, I love coffee.

And Bach.

And satire.

But without coffee, I woudn't love anything.

Officially known as Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht ("Be still, stop chattering") BMV 211, the Coffee Cantata is a satiric secular cantata by Bach. One Wiki article calls it miniature comic opera. Evidentally Bach wrote it in response to the coffee addition epidemic that was raging through 18th century Leipzig. Social problems usually attract satire of some kind and it's cool to think that Bach was a man of his times.

Some sample lines ...

Mm! how sweet the coffee tastes, more delicious than a thousand kisses, mellower than muscatel wine. Coffee, coffee I must have, and if someone wishes to give me a treat, ah, then pour me out some coffee!

Old Schlendrian goes off to see if he can find a husband forthwith for his daughter Lieschen; but Lieschen secretly lets it be known: no suitor is to come to my house unless he promises me, and it is also written into the marriage contract, that I will be permitted to make myself coffee whenever I want.

The complete translation.

[YOUTUBE]9TUWI9U2CLo[/YOUTUBE]

btw, I forgot to mention that this is just the last section of the cantata.

I can't begin to detail all the music I've played in cafes, coffeehouses, over a cup of coffee, while coffee was brewing ... or written under its influence.

• Moderators

Sincerity in your message and performance. This song and performance has been killing me this week. I love both these guys. How in the hell does Trucks tap into his soul like that??? So it's a songwriting forum. This inspires me to write simply and with sincerity.

[YOUTUBE]oaIbOMir380[/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

BTW Stack... I love the Bach. I love Bach in general but never heard this. Very cool. And... I also love women who perform classical music. They're hot for some reason. So I really like your video. I'd love to have a cup with that soprano...

• Members

BTW Stack... I love the Bach. I love Bach in general but never heard this. Very cool. And... I also love women who perform classical music. They're hot for some reason. So I really like your video. I'd love to have a cup with that soprano...

:thu:

I found out about this after I purchased this a few years ago. While the performances aren't definitive, it is a great resource. Now when I read about another composer studying the score to a cantata or quoting something from Bach, I can grab a disc and check it out for myself.

51488FMFAGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Members

The last set of lyrics I wrote was really centered around kind of gory and/or painful imagery...it's almost the way Alkaline Trio used to write lyrics. Stuff like:

Every breath that I could barely breathe

would never make it past my teeth

I took a blowtorch to both of my lungs

a long, long time ago

Before that steak knife took my eyes

I looked up to the sky

for the last thing I would ever see

for the last time I cry

I'm trying to keep it controlled and not just a straight up blood-fest, so we'll have to see what the forum thinks after I get it recorded.

• Members

My influency this week is bipolar weather. We had a dump last thursday for 8-12 inches then sunny in the sixtys over the weekend, another dump of 6 inches on Tues then in the 60s today but expecting a foot of shon by tomorrow!

It's definitely springtime in Colorado!

• Members

:thu:

I found out about this after I purchased
this
a few years ago. While the performances aren't definitive, it is a great resource. Now when I read about another composer studying the score to a cantata or quoting something from Bach, I can grab a disc and check it out for myself.

51488FMFAGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

whoa! You got that huh? I considered getting last year but didn't.

• Members

Always loved this song. I may have swiped the chord pattern once too,

for one of my own compositions. Of course, it wasn't intentional. ;)

And you'd never spot it anyway.

G-WBJjIhS2Q

Wow! Those back-up oooh's just slay me.

Incredible back up vocals!

In pre-British Invasion Pop/Rock, the back-up vocals were fantastic.

When music shifted to electric-guitar Rock, we lost that.

Archived