Decent 4x12 Cab between $300-$500?

Syyle

• Members

New, there is nothing except the Epiphone So Cal ones if you can find them. I don't know if the cheapy Peavey's are constructed the same as their better ones (just unaware). Randall? I wouldn't go for anything with 70/80's. Their Jaguars would prbably be nicer.

So... Avatar? You can get their scratch'n'dent items (which could pass for new, believe me) that cheap and they have real speakers.

• Members

or Lopoline, or Carvin.

I saw some embarrassing lopoline tolex on here. Maybe a fluke, but it wasn't promising to me.

Carvins are very lightweight and sound... different. I heard one of the Vai bottoms that sounded good with a Mark III. I have one of their slants with V30's and it's way bright. Another friend has a slant with their old V30 knockoff. It's really bright, but doesn't extended so high as the V30's so it is a warmer bright.

At least the Avatar's are made by one of the most respected cab builders that does other boutique cabs too.

OP, If you're gonna cut corners and go

• Members

Peavey MS412. Either with the sheffields or the Celestion cl80s its a great cab and heavey as hell too. usually you can get them for under $300

i never played the celestion peaveys but the ones with the sheffields are the worst cabs i have ever played

• Members

i was wanting new from an insurance standpoint. i don't want to get shafted.

but reading through this thread it makes sense to buy used for quality. there is a marshall 1960A used on craigslist in my area...i think it's at 500.

• Members

but reading through this thread it makes sense to buy used for quality. there is a marshall 1960A used on craigslist in my area...i think it's at 500.

Insurance? In what sense, what no one would have played it yet?

There are plenty of very trustworthy people on these boards. Used is definitely the way to go with cabs.

• Members

There's really not a lot that can go wrong with a cab.

When you go to buy a used cab, just look it over before you pay for it.

Things I look at when buying a cab:

- Is it beat to hell or has it been sitting in the guy's bedroom?

--if it is beat to hell, is there any structural damage? Does the price reflect this damage?

-Play it and put your ear next to all speakers to make sure they are working (obviously you don't want to have the amp cranked at this moment).

-Now you should crank it to see if there are any problems with speakers/connections/structure.

-Jiggle the speaker cable to see if there's any connection issues with the cab.

-Take 5 minutes and a screwdriver to make sure the correct speakers are installed in the cab.

If all that checks out, pay the man and leave with your new cab.

• Members

insurance????? or do you want to put it on a list and send it to state farm so your homeowners or sumpin like that will cover the loss?

or is it like warranty?

dude check out the cheap behrenger, carvin sales, b-52, marshall purple tolexed mg cab or what ever the cheapy is, but either go used, get a smaller cab or wait if insurance/warranty is the decider. frankly most people here will prefer a well made good sounding cab over a warranty period, you don't have that much that can go wrong with something like a speaker cab, {censored} happens from time to time, but I have a mixed bag of used and new cabs and tbhey all work, just sound a little different from one another. maybe you should re-evealuate your rationale and think about specific tones or what amp head you plan on using it with, then people can try to guide you. many great chioices out there, hell for about that cost you can get basson I think, could be wrong

Archived