Lightweight, versatile, high-quality amp?

GmanJeff

• Members

Does it exist? I play a Mark IV short head w/2 1-12 cabs, and would like something even lighter to haul to gigs. 4 channels would be ideal, maybe in the 45-75 watt range - sufficient for typical bar gigs for a classic rock band that has good volume control. Suggestions?

• Members

I'm not sure that exists, and I'm not sure why you would need 4 channels for a classic rock band, those artists didn't have 4 channel amps.

When I see classic rock, lightweight, and good volume control, I think a Peavey Classic series right off the bat, but it doesn't have 4 channels, and is only 30w. keeps up with a band just fine though.

Other than a modeler I don't know, what other mapz fit all that criteria.

• Members

Yes, I was initially very interested in the Vypyr 75, but after reading about apparently widespread reliability issues am not going there. The Mackie Hotwire is another one, but it's difficult to find much reporting on it, and I haven't seen one locally to try. Any Line6 users on here gig with their amps, and have any input regarding relability, usability, etc? Other possibilities?

• Members
I'm not sure that exists, and I'm not sure why you would need 4 channels for a classic rock band, those artists didn't have 4 channel amps.

QUOTE]

No, they didn't use four channels, but they didn't all sound the same, either. Since we cover various bands, having a footswitchable solid clean and three types of crunch/distortions for rythm and leads would be very convenient. With my Mesa I get clean/crunch/lead. Sometimes I find songs call for a mildly distorted rythm, and other times for something heavier that's still not quite as overdriven as my preferred lead settings. So, it seems to me that four channels would fit the bill. The Marshall JVM 410H has specs that seem ideal - four channels, each with three modes, all footswitchable, so you can access 12 different sounds on the fly, but it weighs more than my Mesa. The matching Marshall cabs are heavier than my Mesa cabs, too.

• Members

Yes, I was initially very interested in the Vypyr 75, but after reading about apparently widespread reliability issues am not going there. The Mackie Hotwire is another one, but it's difficult to find much reporting on it, and I haven't seen one locally to try. Any Line6 users on here gig with their amps, and have any input regarding relability, usability, etc? Other possibilities?

I have gigged quite a bit with my HD-147, and it's been rock-solid so far. The versatility is a big thing for me, as well as the light weight. The amp I had before that was a Diezel VH4S which was insanely heavy in comparison.

I also happen to think it sounds great. It's not really marketed as a classic rock amp, but a lot of classic amps are modelled reasonably well (Plexi, 800, various fenders).

I use half-back vertical Mesa 2*12 cabs with it, and those are pretty light too.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

When I see classic rock, lightweight, and good volume control, I think a Peavey Classic series right off the bat, but it doesn't have 4 channels, and is only 30w. keeps up with a band just fine though.

Other than a modeler I don't know, what other mapz fit all that criteria.

that's unintentionally very funny!

• Members

yeah the dc amps are great little amps.the dc 20 I had was very loud for a20 watt amp(dyna-watt power).I could not get a bad tone out of that little monster a+ all the way.really liked the midrange feature on the clean channel,as you crank the mids it adds a great snarl to the channel.great for diggin'in heavy blues type stuff.

• Members

Okay, so I have a couple of suggestions based on these comments. Since you were interested in the Vypyr but leery of the reliability, I would suggest that you look into finding its predecessor, the Transformer. These were built in the US between 2001-2006. (I didn't even know they existed until a couple of months ago.) I recently found a 50W 1x12 on eBay for $200 including the footswitch. It weighs about 35 lbs. and has 16 programmable patches. Sounds great. Check the review section at HC.

Since you mentioned the Mackie, it seems like price may not be a big factor. If that is the case, then you might look into Pritchard amps. They're compact, light and can be VERY loud. They variable wattage, too, so cranked sound is possible at lower volumes. I own the Gold Estoc model. Check out the Sword of Satori review here:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Jun/Pritchard_Sword_of_Satori.aspx

The DC suggestions were also good. Probably the closest thing to your Mark series.

Ben

Archived