Friday Influences Thread 05.29.09

• Members

What has influenced you in the past ... or since the last FIT?

Haven't listened to Lyle Lovett in a while, but this week I put him back in my changer. I listened to him often in the early/mid 90s and I think he was an influence on my phrasing as a singer. I also love the way he seamlessly blends country, blues, folk, western swing and just about anything else he can throw in. His songwriting wit is well

• Members

In the HC acoustic guitar forum, there is a thread about Chinese Bluegrass with

traditional instruments. Really cool.

It got me to thinking about one of the most amazing acoustic stringed

instruments on earth, the Dan Bau.

It is a 2nd string from an acoustic steel-stringed guitar.

It's the only stringed instrument invented by Vietnamese.

And its sound can set your imagination on fire.

It is said that young girls should never listen to

Dan Bau music. The sound can lead them astray.

It's like a cross between a pedal steel and a theremin. Amazing!

Hard as Hell to play too.

37qw5vNyYzE

nregrpVxo2A&eurl

• Members

N*E*R*D is an original music side project of The Neptunes (producers for Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears, among others). It's a funky groove with a 70's style Rhodes on top of a Stevie Wonder drum part, but they manage to make it sound very contemporary, not retro.

(video does not have the greatest audio quality)

[YOUTUBE]1wLll0PYKbs[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wLll0PYKbs

• Members

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Kaki King was the first artist that made me really look outside the box. She plays in an unorthodox manner and uses the guitar to it's full potential.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew was the first time I listened to Jazz without feeling like conflicted as to whether I wanted to turn it up or jump out the window. I still don't listen to much Jazz, but Miles was amazingly vocal with his trumpet.

The 2.58 mark is my favorite part

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Just watched a docu called The Search For Robert Johnson. I really want to learn how to play guitar he does did. The first time I heard his recordings, I thought he had an amazing voice, but his playing over hyped.. but the more I hear it and pull out the little subtle things in it, the more I am amazed.

• Members

so I tried finding a video incorporating Lyle Lovett and a Dan Bau but to no avail. Good call on both of them.

N*E*R*D* = Rhodes-tastic

I had one at the house for a while and in the midst of my Rhodesession my wife showed me them, needless to say I think its pretty cool

• Members

N*E*R*D* = Rhodes-tastic

I had one at the house for a while and in the midst of my Rhodesession my wife showed me them, needless to say I think its pretty cool

The Rhodes is a great instrument. I have the Lounge Lizard EP sample set and it is a lot of fun to play. The velocity layer mapping is very expressive - a heavy touch will get you some crunch but a light touch will clean up almost entirely. And something about the overtones accommodates dissonant chords very nicely - a combination of notes that would sound harsh and grating on the piano (and completely untenable on the organ) comes out as interesting and complex on the Rhodes.

• Members

The Rhodes is a great instrument. I have the Lounge Lizard EP sample set and it is a lot of fun to play.

I just bought my self a midi controller for my birthday Sunday. I wanted the real thing, Rhodes or Wurly, but could not get a deal I could afford on either.

I have an copy of Finale that came with Native Instruments, but have not gotten into it yet. How does it sound? And how much is the Lounge Lizard set? Should I throw for that as well?

• Members

I just bought my self a midi controller for my birthday Sunday. I wanted the real thing, Rhodes or Wurly, but could not get a deal I could afford on either.

I have an copy of Finale that came with Native Instruments, but have not gotten into it yet. How does it sound? And how much is the Lounge Lizard set? Should I throw for that as well?

Happy Birthday!

I thought Finale was a scoring tool - in any case, I haven't used it. Before I got Lounge Lizard I used the Electro-Mechanical Reason Refill, but LL is significantly more responsive and fun to play. Here is a track that features an LL Rhodes patch:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6946922

I think I paid $200 for EP-3 in a group buy several years ago - it looks like it retails for $229 now. There is a demo version you can download from the AAS website:

http://www.applied-acoustics.com/loungelizarddemo.htm

The Wurly patches are not bad either, but I mostly use the Rhodes. If you want something cheaper, I haven't played it myself but I know Blue2Blue uses the Mr. Ray 73 vsti for Rhodes sounds:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1658.html

• Members

I listened to the Miles Davis, Lyle Lovett and the Johnson.

Tried to listen to 10cc, but it was disabled.

As far as Johnson and Lovett go, I just don't get it.

I'm missing something.

The Miles Davis cut OTOH, was extraordinary.

It's not that I liked it. It's just that I wanted to

understand what they were doing and use that

concept myself, especially the bass line in the

middle and the drum beat and the general drift

of that part of the compositon.

There are things I want to learn from that.

But I've always admired the Gil Evans/Miles Davis

collaborations of yore. After Claus Ogerman,

Gil Evans was my favorite orchestrator.

• Moderators

Late to the party thise week, I'm traveling...

Yes, yes, yes! I love 10cc. Their ability to go sappy and over the top and still be cool. "I'm Not In Love" and "The Things We Do For Love". And their ability to just create a hip pop tune tune. Good Morning Judge is a cool one. Dig the tacked on slide motive at the end of the verse. I didn't do it! I wasn't there!

[YOUTUBE]g0mGVHl9W0I[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

They say everything can be replaced

they say every distance is not near

so I remember every face

of every man who put me here...

I see my light come shining

from the west down to the east

Any day now, any day now

I shall be released

Any day now, any day now

I shall be released...

a0WMBYQL14U

[bTW, I'd be interested to find out if any other Band-o-philes think "Lonesome Susie" and "Tears of Rage" were both inspired by the same girl...]

The other influence this week is a special return engagement...

I finally got a chance to sit down with my [77 year old] mom and we watched a bunch of the Playing for Change videos. 4xjPODksI08

I'd given her the CD/DVD package [price of a commercial CD for both] for Mother's Day and she'd been listening in her car but hadn't sat down to watch any of the vids.

Though she's a lot more oriented to the Sarah Brightman/Michael Crawford end of pop music than the world/reggae/soul end of things, she said she was really enjoying the music.

But she was transfixed by the videos -- which show the players recording their overdub parts in the streets and fields of their communities -- she asked to play one after another (from the website) until we were almost late for the symphony...

And that brings me around to:

d7cwbGBFyEQ

... at 68 minutes or so, the Mahler 5 is a bit to sprawling for one YT vid (and, sadly, this one doesn't even cover the entire first movement), but it's an amazing work... with mercurial mood changes and a constant flux of overlapping ideas... a grand tour of fin de cycle European music. Hell, having seen it last night, it's almost too big for the symphony concert hall... go fullscreen/HD on this one.

• Members

One can never read too much about Mahler's symphonies, so ...

I also like his orchestral songs as well as the songs he put into his symphonies. Astounding oeuvre.

Yeah... last Mahler symph* I saw didn't quite grab me... it was also kind of sprawling but I don't remember it having some of the decidedly lyrical but complexly harmonically shaded themes that the 5th has got.

*Ashamed to admit I don't remember which -- I'm a very seat o' the pants orchestra music fan and very much not one of those folks who catalogs every performance... though I kind of wish I had, now... Before I became a symphony subscriber roughly 20 years ago, I could probably count the number of symphonic concerts I'd seen on a couple hands and maybe even only one foot... I could tell you more or less what I'd seen, carreer-wide... Now I've seen some works three and four times. And that's why I often have mixed feelings about the 'classic' classics... I mean, I'm not sue I quite want to put Beethoven's 5th (scheduled yet again next year as part of a 75th orchestra anniversary tour of Beethoven's symphonies -- our conductor, Enrique Diemecke, a Mexican of obvious German heritage and equally obvious Latin temperament, has got this thing with The Moor... I swar.)

Speaking of my main maestro, here he is conducting the Orchestre Nationale de Montpellier, doing "The Man I Love", with the catalan singer Laura Simo and the version's arranger Albert Guinovart on piano. Normally I'm not a big fan of 'world music' figures doing the American standards schtick (I can think of some particularly awkward Edith Piaf versions, and I love Piaf when she's being Piaf), but I think Simo's singing shows a great sense of tonality that draws links between the blue scales of African influenced American music and the arabic and gypsy scales of fado and flamenco and all the other Iberian Peninsula musics. (Something tells me that Chris just happens to know a thing or two about those, so I'm not going any farther out on that limb.)

KJWfVaF1QEQ

• Members

i saw kaki king live in a small theater. maybe 100 people. she was impressive at first, but i zoned out after about 3 or 4 songs. it seemed like she played the same song a couple times. she didn't do a lot of percussive stuff that you see on her videos, just a bunch medium tempo stuff that kind of blended together and didn't go anywhere. plus she said some stuff to me that didn't sit well. i was disappointed.

Archived