Friday Influences Thread 09.18.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you in the past ... or since the last FIT?

I love Tom Waits. While I don't have every recording, I'm working on it. I'd been looking up some TW vids and saw Blue Skies. I ignored it for a bit, but a couple of days later I got really curious about how an Irving Berlin song would sound in Tom Waits' hands.

[YOUTUBE]YErXozSHW9w[/YOUTUBE]

After listening to that and realizing what it was, I purchased The Early Years Vols 1 & 2.

• Moderators

Beautiful. I love Tom Waits. My first exposure to him was via an Eagles album in 1973. This was when the Eagles were a little country/rock/folk LA band. They'd had some small hits. One of their writers Jack Tempchin was then and is now a local fixture here in Encinitas CA. (Already Gone, Peaceful Easy Feeling). They had not gotten too slick just yet. Slick but not too... They were new California kids with acoustic guitars singing about the desert, etc. But this one song... Ol' 55. Who is (writer:Tom Waits)? I was 13 years old and this song by the Eagles was different. Better even? I'd just moved down from LA that summer to this little southern CA beach town. 2 hours and a lifetime from LA.

Freeways cars and trucks. That's LA man. But somehow this LA he was talking about was romantic. Sad and lonely, but romantic. Like Chandler did for LA in the 40's, this Tom Waits song... it's the 70's version of a romantic, sad LA dream. The morning after and the reality of those freeways cars and trucks...

[YOUTUBE]Ob5XM2Xe9so[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've been diggin' me some fleet foxes as of late and I found this video that was shot in the back of a British taxi cab. I guess it's a series called The Black Cab Sessions. After watching the Fleet Foxes I saw My Morning Jacket performed and thought I'd include that as well.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I started taking guitar lessons again this month (after a 24 year hiatus). Last week's lesson was (wait for it) the Rhythm Changes, so I listened to a whole bunch of Swing versions of "I Got Rhythm" and then a whole bunch of head arrangements of the Rhythm Changes.

Barney Kessel is a guitarist that I had heard of but had never really listened to before. Here's one of the songs from my playlist:

EMrv9aXOCnA

• Members

Tom Waits always seemed like someone I would like, but I've avoided him since his catalog is large and diverse enough that I don't know where to start. Would you have any suggestions?

As for what I've been listening to, I've had Mogwai on repeat over the past few days. I saw them in Boston a few months ago and it was such a beautiful and mesmerizing experience. I wish I was able to channel that sort of intensity into my own music. Here's a fan-made video for their song "Killing All The Flies."

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Tom Waits always seemed like someone I would like, but I've avoided him since his catalog is large and diverse enough that I don't know where to start. Would you have any suggestions?

Yes. From three different periods ... earlier to later

Small Change ('76) -- this was the first TW I ever had. This has equal parts of Tom the lounge crooner and beatnik poet.

Swordfishtrombones ('83) or Rain Dogs ('85) -- maybe a slight preference for Rain Dogs. He's starting to branch out and get experimental. His wife, Kathleen Brennan, becomes very influential at this point. The songs are great, but they have very unusual wrappings.

Mule Variations ('99) -- full blown carny/gospel/blues mixed with the brilliance of early Tom Waits songwriting. Robert Johnson on acid during a church tent revival having visions of tin pan alley songwriters.

• Moderators

Edit: ^^^ beat me to it.

Rain Dogs.

Waits has 3 distinct eras. The first is his 70's singer/songwriter era. Great stuff. 2nd is his Island Records years. Swordfishtrombone, Rain Dogs, etc. 3rd are his more experimental, off the wall years.

The reason I recommend Rain Dogs is because that album neatly straddles the 2 mindsets of the man. Traditional songwriting but with a taste of some crazy stuff to come. Rain Dogs starts using more adventurous instrumentation. Found percussion, crazy acoustic room signatures, acoustically filtered voice with megaphone type manipulations.

It is a great album and would allow you to move either way in time through his catalog and have it make sense.

• Members

Mule Variations ('99) -- full blown carny/gospel/blues mixed with the brilliance of early Tom Waits songwriting. Robert Johnson on acid during a church tent revival having visions of tin pan alley songwriters.

My personal favorite

I was searching for some youtube clips of Ryan Horne but couldnt find anything that great. Most of the stuff on youtube is solo acoustic which is not bad, but it doesnt grab me in the same way his latest album did. Its called Love and War and I really like the way it is produced.

• Members

The Incident.

[YOUTUBE]qsxcp9MXU2I[/YOUTUBE]

Porcupine Tree really never fails to amaze me. It feels like they are actually trying something different with little respect towards genre sales. Every time I listen to their albums, I get something new out of it.

• Members

The early year, vol 1 is really good. Vol. 2 is a bit spotty, but there's some good stuff on both. I picked up a pile of Willie Nelson at the library on Wednesday, and love his writing. It's a perfect extension of the Golden Age-type writing I've been drawing from recently, and he really can take a weird phrase and turn it into a song.

• Members

Stack & Lee Knight, listeners could do & usually end up doing a lot worse

than early Tom Waits. I like him less after he became a certified

fee-nom. But his early stuff just slays me.

The dead art of orchestral Pop is my preferred milieu.

Two masterpieces of that genre are:

vcZ1k4d02KA

A5BfjNdItBw

I once orchestratrated a medley of "Town Without Pity"

and "The Perry Mason Theme".

If you listen to the originals- you'll see that they're the same song &

almost the same orchestration.

I suspect it was the Perry Mason theme that got Gene Pitney in the mood to

write "Town Without Pity".

That sound is magic to my ears. Unfortunately, the one instrument I had

that was capable of sounding like that, an old Kawai K-1 synthesizer,

is not functional at the moment. And I'm a lost soul without that 8 bit