My Night Train rolled in today...

solarburn

• Members

Dis a very good blues/midgain amp. I have it running into a K100 112 for right now and it can get loud. Nice dynamics, good roll off, jangly clean and juicy crunch. I used my HH Tele on it so far and I am very pleased with the "on the edge break up" blues tones I'm getting. Great crunch. I'm sure the strat will really deliver great tones. Clear, articulate and juicy when ya get the power tubes opened up. Sustain is good.

I haven't tried any pedals on it. I am enjoying straight in tones. So glad I got this amp. Great in the bedroom and its going to many garage jams with the buds. It would make itself right at home in a blues/rock jam night. It comes in a cool carrying case too.

On a side note: I now have a "{censored}ing Jerry Approved" DSL50.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! It smokes! :love:

Jerry I cranked it and it has a great new set of Balls!:lol::thu:

• Members
Nice! I played one through a Vox 212 at my local shop and they are a very {censored}in' good blues amp. Do want.

Seriously man. This is gonna be a real fun blues amp. Worthy tones inside that little box. Hope you're able to get one.:thu:

• Members

god damn it.. WHY are there none in DC yet?!

AAAARRRRGHH.. i'm going to chucks tonight.. mebbe there's one there... damn i want to play one of these freakin things...

I almost got a 412 of K100's instead of the NT but I feel I made the right choice hands down this time. I can't wait to play it again. Very fun lil' tone machine. I wonder how much the matching cab is going to be? Suppose to be a GB in it. The K100 sounds just fine with it. I'm sure I'll get the matching cab too. I's broke now though.:cry:

• Members
I almost got a 412 of K100's instead of the NT but I feel I made the right choice hands down this time. I can't wait to play it again. Very fun lil' tone machine. I wonder how much the matching cab is going to be? Suppose to be a GB in it. The K100 sounds just fine with it. I'm sure I'll get the matching cab too. I's broke now though.
:cry:

very envious.. gotta admit!

it's definitely pretty damn close to my ideal amp-- not a lot of gain, nothing unnecessary in the pre, just enough wattage, and just the right amount of gain.

i just can't get hold of one yet...

how's it do in a rhythm context? individual notes do ok within big chords? have y' dimed the thing yet? which really sounds better-- the fat setting, or the eq?

• Members

very envious.. gotta admit!

it's definitely pretty damn close to my ideal amp-- not a lot of gain, nothing unnecessary in the pre, just enough wattage, and just the right amount of gain.

i just can't get hold of one yet...

how's it do in a rhythm context? individual notes do ok within big chords? have y' dimed the thing yet? which really sounds better-- the fat setting, or the eq?

Chords are really present and yes you can hear all the strings/notes. The thick setting is just boosting whats already there tone wise IMO. It gives it a nice goose. I have taken the volume up to about 50-60% on 15 watts with the gain around 2-3 o'clock and it was very loud in the bedroom. So I still had room to go.

I like both voicings as far as the gain goes. I'll need to play it more today with some gain settings to be able to comment more. Both voicings are usable as far as good tones. Both wattage settings offer good tones. The 7.5 watts roll off the highs a tad making it a little smoother sounding and not as present.

• Members

Chords are really present and yes you can hear all the strings/notes. The thick setting is just boosting whats already there tone wise IMO. It gives it a nice goose. I have taken the volume up to about 50-60% on 15 watts with the gain around 2-3 o'clock and it was very loud in the bedroom. So I still had room to go.

I like both voicings as far as the gain goes. I'll need to play it more today with some gain settings to be able to comment more. Both voicings are usable as far as good tones. Both wattage settings offer good tones. The 7.5 watts roll off the highs a tad making it a little smoother sounding and not as present.

nice! thanks fer the bumpback.. really am excited to check this thing out when it gets on the market! saw some pics of the transformers yesterday and about fell out of my chair.. there's some serious LACK of {censored}ing around inside that lil box!

• Members
Now the obvious, gotta ask it question.....

...how does it compare to a AC30.....
:o

I don't know bro. This is my first Vox and I've never played an AC30 but I really felt I was getting good tones plugged straight in. I'll know more later today when I can crank the crunch range more. I got into the crunch for a very short time and it sounded very nice. It thickens up nicely when the gain is past noon and you give it some volume.

• Members

I don't know bro. This is my first Vox and I've never played an AC30 but I really felt I was getting good tones plugged straight in. I'll know more later today when I can crank the crunch range more. I got into the crunch for a very short time and it sounded very nice. It thickens up nicely when the gain is past noon and you give it some volume.

what i wanna know, is how it responds with the power dimed, and the preamp just barely tickin (9 oclock-ish..)... that oughta tell you a LOT about that thing and it's iron..

• Members
why not? too dry?

Well, I would never need that much gain. I know you can dial it back.....but I'm more of a clean-ish player. Rather just crank it up to get the goods rather then dial in preamp gain. In the clip the higher gain didn't sound all that good to me.......actually very similar to the AC30CC high gain tone......yuck.

There's a cardboard-ish cheap sound to those lower wattage amps......that's what is keeping me away from the AC4 too.

Although, I'm still going to try them out (if I can find one).......probably sound a lot better in person anyway. :thu: Never know. :)

• Members

Well, I would never need that much gain. I know you can dial it back.....but I'm more of a clean-ish player. Rather just crank it up to get the goods rather then dial in preamp gain. In the clip the higher gain didn't sound all that good to me.......actually very similar to the AC30CC high gain tone......yuck.

There's a cardboard-ish cheap sound to those lower wattage amps......that's what is keeping me away from the AC4 too.

Although, I'm still going to try them out (if I can find one).......probably sound a lot better in person anyway.
:thu:
Never know.
:)

probably a dial in issue-- i don't really hear 'cardboard-y' but certainly midrangey.

hell- i barely use preamp gain-- if i drop volume on my 15 watter, it goes clean. you don't NEED it, but if you have to play lower volumes, it sure is nice to have the additional on tap with the preamp. ESPECIALLY if it's good sounding gain... ESPECIALLY for $500.

cardboardy... pshaw... :lol: also note-- all his eq settings are at noon!

Archived