My Night Train rolled in today...

solarburn

• Members
Now the obvious, gotta ask it question.....

...how does it compare to a AC30.....
:o

Apples and oranges. I have an AC30 (if you couldn't tell, I'm a Vox man all the way) and the Vox Night Train definitely retains some signature Vox tones on the Bright channel, but it packs wayyyy more gain than the AC30, and the modern gain capabilities on the Thick channel are the really interesting feature. Sounds more like a pissed off little Marshall to me.

• Members

A lack of depth, I guess.....compared to larger amps.

What I want in a small amp is a built in footswitchable clean boost.

you been playin the wrong small amps, or just asking them for too much i think...

bigger power sections are really cool for a LOT of broad frequency information.. but man, the midrange splat of a DOGGED 15 watter.... oh man. a truly sexy mess, that is...

differ'nt strokes though.

i haven't a clue where you'd get a footswitchable clean boost on anything other than a rivera..

• Members
Well, I would never need that much gain. I know you can dial it back.....but I'm more of a clean-ish player. Rather just crank it up to get the goods rather then dial in preamp gain. In the clip the higher gain didn't sound all that good to me.......actually very similar to the AC30CC high gain tone......yuck.

There's a cardboard-ish cheap sound to those lower wattage amps......that's what is keeping me away from the AC4 too.

Although, I'm still going to try them out (if I can find one).......probably sound a lot better in person anyway.
:thu:
Never know.
:)

you sound like a small panel Marshall man :thu:

• Members

you sound like a small panel Marshall man
:thu:

I lubs me a nice JTM.....that's for sure. :love:

While I like the tone from a lot of these new import cheapie amps.......they just don't sounds as good as other amps. Nothing like a Super Reverb or Plexi or plain old AC30. IMO.

My taste is different......can't tell anyone how to hear, and change their tastes. :thu:

I'd rather have one really nice amp, rather then 5 mediocre ones.

Like Carlin said......"I never {censored}ed a 10, but I {censored}ed five 2s"

I'd rather just {censored} the ten and quit {censored}ing around.

• Members

I loved the clean tones of the AC30CC I had, but the high gain was just muddy, boring, and flat.

I never cared for high gain on my AC30 either. It was sort of lifeless sounding. But this one sounds pretty amazing, but then, that's just my opinion. I found I didn't like any of the demo videos but when I messed with it on my own, I could dial in some really killer sounds.

• Members

I got mine from proguitarshop.com. The other vid you posted is pretty much what sold me on it. I still can't crank it up yet. The father-in-law lives with us and I have to wait for him to go out for breakfast or a haircut to be able to get my guns off.

15 watts is really loud. I tried inching it up there but it got too loud for others comfort.:lol: It will be so easy to take it somewhere else and do it though. Like pack'n a lunch box.

• Members

I loved the clean tones of the AC30CC I had, but the high gain was just muddy, boring, and flat. I'm guessing this is sort of a spin off of the CC TB channel?

I have a AC30BM now......which just {censored}ing rocks.

Nope - Night train has nothing in common with the AC30CC design.

Its a different animal altogether. try one and pay close attention to the treble control in the bright mode. Thats where you will find your classic VOX tones.

• Members

There is a 45 day period where If I don't jive with it I can send it back. I already am liking the tones for clean and midgain stuff. I don't need it to hit gain that is barely at or beyond its ability to do. Some of those gained out sections in the vids I didn't care for and thought it was beyond what the amp could do that sounded good.

To me it really is a blues amp. The bell like overtones playing clean or Vox "chime" sounds real cool to me. First time having an amp that plays like that. Its a good little amp. Tones are musical to my ears with my set up. The midgain blues tones are sweet.

I don't expect it to slay dragons. That's what the Marshall's for. What it does do is hold its own as far as giving usable tones for certain kinds of music.

• Members
I'd love to test one cranked with the drive on high. Can it get nice GnR/ACDC type tones?

It can get close man but having the Marshall in a side by side comparison really shows up the differences or subtleties in amp voicings. Also its EL34's compared to EL84's. I'd play GNR and ACDC on it. I'd like them more on my Marshall though.:cop:

Archived