The THD Univalve is a modern classic.

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was thinking about modding the amp.....since it seems like a lot of people all wanted the same thing.......there are pages outlining the mods.

....but I don't think I'm going to anymore.

Tempted to snip the bright cap on the volume....so the lower volume tones aren't so bright......not sure. I suppose I could always try it and reverse it if I didn't like it....or change the value of that cap. :o

I really don't see how anyone could want more low end out of this thing either. :freak:

• Members

Did you realize what a Univalve was when you bought it?
:freak:

It sounds like you meant to order a Dual Rectifier, and somehow ended up with a THD.
:idk:

You're fairly observant... I bought a UV and thought it was great, but I knew what it was and what it could do up front (I played it before I bought it). On the other hand, I knew before playing it that tube swapping between songs was unreasonable.

• Members

You're fairly observant... I bought a UV and thought it was great, but I knew what it was and what it could do up front (I played it before I bought it). On the other hand, I knew before playing it that tube swapping between songs was unreasonable.

I've played around with the UV on several occasions, and maybe it's just me, but it's laid out just right for what it does. I didn't see any false advertising about it being an ultra versatile live amp. :idk:

Of course there was that one time where I bought the Bradshaw switching system for my vintage Fender combo, and it wouldn't switch on the ultra drive channel that didn't exist. Thousands of dollars down the drain just to remotely switch my TS9 on and off. What a piece of crap.

• Members

hmmm no dealers within an hour or two of me... may hafta take my buddy on an amp-shopping road trip. Any particular speakers this sounds better with?

The THD cabs have Classic Lead 80s......haven't tried those yet.....just Celestion HOT 100s which I liked.

Didn't like WGS Green Berets or 10" Emi Legends.

Haven't tried Vintage 30s yet, but I can't see those sounding good either.

Don't be afraid to dial back the attitude and treble controls if the amp sounds harsh.:thu:

You can get a feel for the amp by messing around in the shop.....but wouldn't really get to know it or make it yours until you swap tubes and really put it through it's paces.

• Members

The THD cabs have Classic Lead 80s......haven't tried those yet.....just Celestion HOT 100s which I liked.

Don't be afraid to dial back the attitude and treble controls if the amp sounds harsh.
:thu:

You can get a feel for the amp by messing around in the shop.....but wouldn't really get to know it or make it yours until you swap tubes and really put it through it's paces.

hmmm, yeah the i woulda sold him has V30s in it... i have a sovtek cab with some low-class Eminence speaker in it, but then again, maybe he'd rather buy his own cab. Wonder what cabs these dealers would have to try it thrugh....

[/thinkinoutloud]

• Members

They used to have CL80's. The new cabs have two different speakers that I believe are THD's design, Emminence.

I had a THD 2x12 and wish I still had it. Actually, I miss the UV too, though I don't know why because I need another amp like I need a hole in the head. Of course, that never stopped me from buying before...

• Members

They used to have CL80's. The new cabs have two different speakers that I believe are THD's design, Emminence.

I had a THD 2x12 and wish I still had it. Actually, I miss the UV too, though I don't know why because I need another amp like I need a hole in the head. Of course, that never stopped me from buying before...

Yeah....they had the Longhorn for a while too, right?

I would imagine any evenly balanced speaker with a slighty attenuated high end (presence) would sound really good.

What amps are you play now?

• Members

When I had my Univalve, I was going through the "guitar straight into the amp or you SUCK" phase so I had zero pedals to use with it. Things may have been different if I knew about boosts and overdrives and delays and blah blah. It'd also probably be more fun for me now that I know about using cabinet impulses since that post-power-stage line output would make that really fun. Oh well.

• Members

Yeah....they had the Longhorn for a while too, right?

I would imagine any evenly balanced speaker with a slighty attenuated high end (presence) would sound really good.

What amps are you play now?

Yes, I believe the Longhorn was one of the speakers, can't remember the 2nd.

I've got a number of amps these days, but I mostly play my Deliverance 60 and JMP. On top of that, I've also got a Bogner "Super Shiva," Bogner Alchemist and Laboga Mr. Hector. I think that's it. :confused:

• Members

When I had my Univalve, I was going through the "guitar straight into the amp or you SUCK" phase so I had zero pedals to use with it. Things may have been different if I knew about boosts and overdrives and delays and blah blah. It'd also probably be more fun for me now that I know about using cabinet impulses since that post-power-stage line output would make that really fun. Oh well.

While I really like my Uni.....I still may be tempted to sell it to you (if you want it) and buy a Bivalve. :o:lol:

• Members

While I really like my Uni.....I still may be tempted to sell it to you (if you want it) and buy a Bivalve.
:o
:lol:

I've owned the Bivalve too (and the Flexi-50), and it's a very different amp. I actually preferred the Univalve.

• Members

How different, and in which way?

It's been quite a while, but the voicing sounded slightly different, possibly due to the different power section. I liked the way the UV broke up/distorted over that of the BV.

Again though, it's been years, and I didn't own them at the same time so even then I was basing it off "tone memory." Still, I preferred the UV.

• Members

I had a Flexi 50 for a month or so. Didn't like it at all. I cannot overstate that. It was horrible for me.

Traded it away.

Probably my biggest dissapointment amp. I thought it was going to be incredible. Wrong.
:cool:

Really?

Actually, I'm not surprised since you like V30s with your JTMs. :freak:

j/k

:lol:

• Members

I used to have one. I always liked a 12ax7 in v1, 12au7 v2, and a jj6v6 v3. Also, a 6k6 makes about 4 watts, and a 6g6g makes about 1 watt.

One really cool thing about them is the line out for the attenuator. You can run the line out into the effects loop return of another amp (or a separate power amp) and really control the vol. Plus use the presence and depth controls of the second amp to clear the sound up a little. And the uni doesn't even have to be plugged to a speaker when you do this.

Other cool option is to run the line out set at instrument level into the input of another amp. Basically using the uni as a big badass overdrive pedal. Anyway, its a cool little amp.

• Members

Yeah....sounds like there are some really cool variations and options.

I have yet to try any of those.

Seems like there is a short learning curve with the Univalve. Pretty wild EQ settings to get decent tone.

I almost wonder if they allowed for so much treble to compensate for the noise reduction and attenuation?

Tonight I'm going to crack the Uni open and examine the guts and remove the bright cap on the volume knob. Just to see if it tames the treble a bit.....especially at lower volumes.

Archived